Atromitos vs NUFC [ELQ] - 23/08/12 at 6pm [BST]- Live on Premier Sports (PPV)

Beren

Ben Arfa banned for European outings

21 August 2012-PA Sport

Hatem Ben Arfa will miss the start of Newcastle United's UEFA Europa League campaign as he serves a suspension dating back to 2010.

Alan Pardew's side flies to Greece ahead of its first leg play-off clash with Atromitos, but the Ben Arfa will be absent as he servess a three-match ban incurred during his time at former club Olympique de Marseille.

The 25-year-old, whose late penalty against Tottenham Hotspur got the Magpies off to a winning start in the English Premier League, was sent off in Marseille's 2-1 home defeat by Benfica in March 2010 which saw it miss out on a place in the Europa League quarter-finals that season.

Ben Arfa joined Newcastle on loan later that year and has had no opportunity since to serve his ban.

As a result, he will miss both legs of the tie and the first game of the group stage if his side progresses.

However, the France international, like several of his senior colleagues, might have been rested for the fixture in Athens, with Pardew knowing he will have to carefully manage his resources this season if his squad is to compete on all fronts.

Newcastle earned its return to the continental stage by finishing fifth last season and is determined to establish itself in the upper reaches of the Premier League once again, while attempting to extend its European adventure.

That was something the club achieved during Sir Bobby Robson's reign, although that was in an era when the manager was able to work under fewer financial restrictions.

This time around, the likes of Haris Vuckic and Mehdi Abeid will hope for a chance to show what they can do, while some of their more illustrious colleagues sit out in preparation for the weekend's domestic clash at Chelsea.

Pardew's side will play twice inside 48 hours after failing in its request to have the game at Stamford Bridge re-arranged, with the Notting Hill Carnival taking place in London this weekend.

I would bring Cabaye and Anita to this game to be honest.

Cabaye as a punishment for his low fitness levels and atrocious performance against Spurs.

Anita to adjust to his teammates. 45 mins each.

i know £9.99 is a crazy price but Premier sports do cover the Conference and show games on friday nights,  by the look of it gateshead on live away to Stockport this week.

ps that still wouldn't tempt me to get it mind!

Read some article where it said that the Ameobis, Tiote, Ba, Vuckic and Ferguson were all left at home due to injuries. I really hope Tiote and Ba will be fit for Saturday. It's a shame with Vuckic and Ferguson as I guess they would have started tomorrow. Be interesting to see who starts on top as Campbell and Cissé seems to be our only fit strikers ATM.

Gutierrez, Taylor, Simpson, Krul, Cabaye, Perch, Williamson, Harper, Obertan - confirmed via George Caulkin's twitter account.

In or out?

i'd assume they've gone as there is no mention of those we know aren't going through injury.

Be surprised if Campbell starts, maybe he'll get on as a sub.

----------------------- Krul

Tavernier -- Williamson -- Good -- Raylor

Anita -- Gosling

Obertan --------- Amalfitano ------ Marveaux

-------------------- Cisse

Anita -- Gosling

Think Perch will play.

Anita -- Gosling

Think Perch will play.

Aye actually, I'd stick him RB ahead of Tav then.

What I think Pards will play:

Krul

Simpson

Perch

Williamson

Taylor

Obertan

Gosling

Anita

Amalfitano

Marveaux

Shola/Sammy

He will look to keep it tight, even against minnows. Then try and walk through the second leg.

What I think Pards will play:

Krul

Simpson

Perch

Williamson

Taylor

Obertan

Gosling

Anita

Amalfitano

Marveaux

Shola/Sammy

He will look to keep it tight, even against minnows. Then try and walk through the second leg.

Both Shola and Sammy are injured, but I like the rest of your formation. Think it'll be Cissé on top.