Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Getting ahead of myself but I reckon Bigi already has the potential to adequately replace Guthrie.

Anita gives us a lot of options and will toughen up the midfield at times when Tiote isn't there which we didn't really have last season.

Amalfitano looks very promising, still not sure where he will play but he can probably play in a number of positions.

In goal we are the same, maybe a little stronger as Krul has that extra experience.

Defence we are marginally better as I guess Good will play more than Kadar and our youngsters are a year older. Perch is a lot more settled than he was at the start of last season.

Midfield we have improved a hell of a lot, especially if Marveaux stays fit (like a new signing etc..).

Forwards is where we are worse off losing Best.

I don't think we have done badly at all, but if we did manage to get one of Debuchy, Douglas or a forward (lets say Carroll) we have significantly improved. 2 or even all 3 and we can genuinely push for that 4th place.

I do have trust in the quality of our team (except RB) even though i have some doubts about our depth in some areas and want us to add a few more obviously.

What im mostly worried about though, is that IF we don't strengthen our team/squad before the window closes then we'll struggle to keep our key players next season as they'll feel that that we aren't trying enough to progress any further.

I guess time will tell..

What im mostly worried about though, is that IF we don't strengthen our team/squad before the window closes then we'll struggle to keep our key players next season as they'll feel that that we aren't trying enough to progress any further.

I guess time will tell..

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/wp-content/uploads/joey-barton-signs-for-QPR.jpeg

Guess who

wins again

Defence is where i'm most concerned really, midfield is very strong and upfront i'm only going to get concerned if Senegal beat Ivory Coast ( which i can't see personally) as i highly doubt Ba and Cisse will both get injured at the same time.

I don't want another season of our RB contributing nothing going forward and restricting the overall impact of us going forward.

And Saylor's long term fitness worries me so i'd like a CB in.

If we could get a RB and a CB before deadline, i'd be very happy and positive about replicating last seasons success.

upfront i'm only going to get concerned if Senegal beat Ivory Coast ( which i can't see personally) as i highly doubt Ba and Cisse will both get injured at the same time.

With the schedule we have this season they'll need to be rested fairly often and with Shola likely to get injured (as he is now) that gives us nothing upfront. Or at least nothing reliable. A backup striker is vital imo.

upfront i'm only going to get concerned if Senegal beat Ivory Coast ( which i can't see personally) as i highly doubt Ba and Cisse will both get injured at the same time.

With the schedule we have this season they'll need to be rested fairly often and with Shola likely to get injured (as he is now) that gives us nothing upfront. Or at least nothing reliable. A backup striker is vital imo.

Just an assumption but i had a feeling going into this season we would rest Ba or Cisse in some Europa Games.

Both would play at the weekend as long as we play Thursday-Sunday but i could see one play and one not in Europe.

I agree it's vital, but defence concerns me more.

Also i'd play Perch above Simpson as well.

Just an assumption but i had a feeling going into this season we would rest Ba or Cisse in some Europa Games.

Both would play at the weekend as long as we play Thursday-Sunday but i could see one play and one not in Europe.

I agree it's vital, but defence concerns me more.

Also i'd play Perch above Simpson as well.

If we had rested both yesterday who would have played upfront? Both Ameobi's are injured (runs in the family it seems) and Obertan...no. We're well stocked in defense though the quality may be lacking a bit.

I thought I'd read that the Transfer Window closed on the 3rd of September but it looks like it definitely closes at 11pm on Friday, August 31st according to: -

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/features/european-transfer-deadline-dates-in-full.html

European Transfer Window closing times*:

August 31st pre-midnight

Germany 18:00:00

Italy 19:00:00

ENGLAND 23:00:00

Scotland 23:00:00

August 31st 23:59:59

Austria

Belgium

Bulgaria

Greece

Netherlands

Norway

Poland

Portugal

Serbia

Slovenia

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

Ukraine

September 1st 23:59:59

Denmark

September 3rd 23:59:59

Finland

September 6th 23:59:59

Russia

(*All times listed are local)

Pretty bonkers to think we've only spent £2.5m this summer. :lol:

Obviously net spend means nothing in isolation, but if you look at the commonly reported bids we've made - £10m for De Jong, £5m for Debuchy, £3m for Douglas - the money is obviously there to be used. Strange that we've seemingly not had others lined up that we could get in before now. Surely any asking prices will only get higher in the final week?

One would think so, hardly gonna come cheaper. Remember Pardew saying (even before last season) that we had already started looking at players for THIS season..hmm..

That's all nonsense. They may have a list, but once they're filtered by the wheeler dealers, we"re left with or two possibilities.

Amalfitano > Lovenkrands

Bigi            > Smith (Tiote rotation then replacement within 24month)

Good          > Kadar

Anita          > Guthrie

?TBA?        > Best

My hunch for replacing Best is Wilfried Zaha as i don't think he'll go for anywhere near £10m due to Palace's problems ... And obviously i get no prizes for suggesting we plan to upgrade Simpson with Debuchy with my only doubts being that Simpson is 2yrs younger which is why the board feel they might not be getting the value they originally thought they might from Debuchy before the Euros now his price seems to have risen... Douglas being only 24 and 12 month left on a low wage contract hints as a typical if we can get him lets get him deal as it is a position we need cover for and even potential upgrade if he adapts...

Can't see too many surprises this week in short...

Amalfitano > Lovenkrands

Good          > Kadar

Anita          > Guthrie

?TBA?        > Best

Based on what? :lol:

'Marginally stronger' is about right. We've got a couple more options in midfield, but that's counteracted by less options up front. If we don't sign a right-back and a striker, it'll have been a failure.

And that's before any more potential leavers.

Amalfitano > Lovenkrands

Good          > Kadar

Anita          > Guthrie

?TBA?        > Best

Amalfitano and Lovenkrands comparison ffs. :lol:

Amalfitano > Lovenkrands

Good          > Kadar

Anita          > Guthrie

?TBA?        > Best

Position in squad replacement... Maybe "-" would of been clearer than ">"  Wasn't stating who was better etc... Just simplifying how we were rotating/refreshing the squad...

Probably fair to assume Amalfitano is a better footballer than Lovenkrands, but one's a midfielder and one's a striker. As limited as Lovelypants was in his last two seasons, he was still a squad member and he'd have played (and probably scored) in the cups. It's another player that hasn't been replaced (so far).

Amalfitano > Lovenkrands

Good          > Kadar

Anita          > Guthrie

?TBA?        > Best

Amalfitano and Lovenkrands comparison ffs. :lol:

Whats wrong with that?... Both were attacking wide midfielders... It was only later on in his career that PL began to play as more of a central striker...