Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ian it's worse than that, some people just fabricate what people are saying so they can pretend everything is ok, I hear our reserve team is almost as good as our first team things are that good  :iamatwat:

:lol:

Some people just struggle with complex sentences. At least you're not as bad as Ronaldo.

At the end of the day, I just want to watch NUFC play. Deep down I couldn't give two fucks if we spend £60million or £6million. We proved last year we can compete with the top 6. This year may be harder, who knows, but as things stands we've got the same team + Anita and a few good prospects. We also have Stevie Taylor fit, Ben Arfa fit and playing, Cisse for a full season, and Marveaux fit. There's a lot to be positive about. Like them or not, the board have proved over the last few years that they know what they're doing.

In an ideal world we'd sign one or two more players, but I genuinely can't believe the negativity around what is our best team in donkeys. We should be confident of competing with this team. Sure, we have more games to play, but we've got a lot of quality so we should be able to deal with it IMO.

I've actually got to the point of hoping for one more signing, not for the sake of the squad, but so this board doesn't implode.

In my time supporting the club there's been only a few real visionaries: Kevin Keegan, John Hall and Bobby Robson. Blokes who thought "bollocks to being an also ran, let's take this club somewhere special". Ashley and co are like far too many other managers, players and even fans who are content to shuffle their feet and say "oh we'll, we ARE only Newcastle United, let's be happy with what we have." Depressing outlook on life in general and certainly in football.

For what it's worth, I think Pardew has shown enough in his time here to suggest that we could really make an assault on 4th place if he'd been backed.

Bullocks man.

I see a NUFC team now who is the most entertaining i have seen in a long time. Players who are way above anything we have had in almost 10 years.

Last season we finished 5th, amazing stuff, fucking best i have felt in a long time.

I find it more miserable to go around in life, as a fan as i am, always complaining like a spoiled child that we did not get X player etc.

(Not a dig at you that)

I simply enjoy football, and the sooner the transfer window is over, the better.

Its a fucking crime against humanity that the transfer window does not end before the season, it ruin people  :lol:

And to be honest, i do not think a RB and a striker would propel us into the top 4 next season anyway, and that is not being pessimistic, but a realistic optimist  :lol:

Also, some people here say spurs are so active, and sign players etc. If you look at Spurs you see they usually sell a star player to invest in the squad.

Like we did with Carroll. Who would you sell?

I think this is what annoys me most about this thread and the forum at times.

We've got the best team we've had in ages, some likeable and classy players, we're in Europe when everyone expected mid table, we're being run well. But we have to waste our breath stereotyping each other's views and arguing about basically who is the best kind of fan.

We have a class club and a good team, let's enjoy it for a while at least.

I suppose I could just not come on here.

I wouldn't get too wound up by Eric. This is the same guy who missed all of last season's games because he refused out of principle to watch a side while Ashley was owner. Anyone who can't make a point without foaming at the mouth isn't worth bothering about too much.

Check out the programme notes v Leicester City in May 1992:

"Watch out Alex, we'll be after your title"- KK

That's vision and positive thinking, not this "be thankful for what we've got" crap.

Far too many of our fans have a very small time attitude now imo. Happy to exist in mid table financial stability and anything else is a bonus.

The club like to perpetuate it too. "Please don't take our players, pretty please?"

It isn't a 'small time attitude' to acknowledge that there are at least 5 or 6 teams that can afford to spend substantially more than us. 

It isn't a 'small time attitude' to acknowledge that in order to compete with these clubs on any level we need to be run on a sensible financial basis.

More than that regularly outspend us, we're 19th in net spend in the last 5 years, yet we finished 5th last year.

We're ran sensibly and adding a RB, CB cover and Striker could all be done for the same amount of money they've had in failed bids already.

This defeatist and apologist attitude is exactly what people are talking about.

You've got to add a bit of context to what you are saying.

We were in a terrible financial position not very long ago.  That seems to have been forgotten.  We still can't afford to spend large amounts of money.  Personally I would have liked us to have added more players this transfer window so we could have made an extra push towards 4th place, but I would much rather get the right players in at the right price than take gambles on players that aren't right for us.

In addition, for someone who is so keen on the net spend issue - could you let me know where we were in the 'NET SPEND TOTALISER' for January 2012?

Context is we're not in a terrible financial position, we've returned to profit, we can afford to spend large sums of money (by our standards) as our failed bids are proof of.

They've put aside quite a substantial amount of money judging by the failed bids to strengthen, I just hope some of it used to strenghten our weaknesses, I don't care how much it is, we can clearly afford it or they wouldn't have been in for them in the first place.

We spent a whopping £7m in January didn't we? Held back from from the Carroll sale some 12 Months prior.

A little bit of invention, a little bit of ambition and we might have as good a season as we did last Year.

So as soon as we break even (mainly due player sales), you want us to start spending larger amounts again??  You do realise that we were running at a loss for years before that?  Do you think those losses don't count or something?

Re the failed bids - yes, it looks like we have been prepared to spend money on players.  But crucially, it is the right money on the right players.  If Carr and Pardew don't think that there is a right back out there worth the money that is being asked for them, what is the point in buying the wrong player just for the sake of it?  It doesn't make any sense, business, footballing or otherwise.

I think we can assume the Cisse purchase was nearer 9 million to be honest - but I still am intrigued to know who spent more?

We were in a terrible financial position not very long ago.  That seems to have been forgotten.  We still can't afford to spend large amounts of money.  Personally I would have liked us to have added more players this transfer window so we could have made an extra push towards 4th place, but I would much rather get the right players in at the right price than take gambles on players that aren't right for us.

In addition, for someone who is so keen on the net spend issue - could you let me know where we were in the 'NET SPEND TOTALISER' for January 2012?

Add 15th August 2012 to that, where were we on 15th August 2012?  Seriously, somebody mentions a period of years and you want to know where we were for a month. :lol:

How is what I've said not ambitious? Just because I don't mind us doing things gradually and safely. This regime has demonstrated over the last 3 years that they know what they're doing, that we are making good progress, and nothing that has or hasn't happened this summer has convinced me that we haven't done things right. If one more player comes in no-one will be happier than me, but you'd think we'd sold Cisse and Ba going by some reactions in here.

People say we are short up front, and we maybe are slightly, but if we play what IMO is our best formation, there's only room for 1 or 2 strikers in it max.

And surely Anita is a viable option at full back now too.

Buying 1 first team player and what seems a back up player at that is not showing ambition especially when the club supposedly want us to push for top 4.

The club wants CL football and i don't see how Pardew has been backed enough to reach those goals or get close to them for that matter.

We are short upfront mainly because of AFCON, if Senegal qualify for it then we are well and truly f*cked.

Playing Anita at fullback for long periods is like playing Jonas at fullback.... can he do it? sure, should he be doing it? nope.

Has anybody from the club actually said that we realistically expect to be challenging for CL football? I think people's expectations are getting away from them if they think last season's exploits mean we can afford to spend like City and Chelsea in an effort to clinch a CL spot.

Pardew said we are trying to push for a CL spot on many occasions and quite frankly when you consider the extra games i don't think Pardew has been backed enough this summer to achieve even that.

Add 15th August 2012 to that, where were we on 15th August 2012?  Seriously, somebody mentions a period of years and you want to know where we were for a month. :lol:

We'd be 8th in the table.  What's your point?

At the end of the day, I just want to watch NUFC play. Deep down I couldn't give two f***s if we spend £60million or £6million. We proved last year we can compete with the top 6. This year may be harder, who knows, but as things stands we've got the same team + Anita and a few good prospects. We also have Stevie Taylor fit, Ben Arfa fit and playing, Cisse for a full season, and Marveaux fit. There's a lot to be positive about. Like them or not, the board have proved over the last few years that they know what they're doing.

In an ideal world we'd sign one or two more players, but I genuinely can't believe the negativity around what is our best team in donkeys. We should be confident of competing with this team. Sure, we have more games to play, but we've got a lot of quality so we should be able to deal with it IMO.

I've actually got to the point of hoping for one more signing, not for the sake of the squad, but so this board doesn't implode.

In my time supporting the club there's been only a few real visionaries: Kevin Keegan, John Hall and Bobby Robson. Blokes who thought "bollocks to being an also ran, let's take this club somewhere special". Ashley and co are like far too many other managers, players and even fans who are content to shuffle their feet and say "oh we'll, we ARE only Newcastle United, let's be happy with what we have." Depressing outlook on life in general and certainly in football.

For what it's worth, I think Pardew has shown enough in his time here to suggest that we could really make an assault on 4th place if he'd been backed.

Bullocks man.

I see a NUFC team now who is the most entertaining i have seen in a long time. Players who are way above anything we have had in almost 10 years.

Last season we finished 5th, amazing stuff, f***ing best i have felt in a long time.

I find it more miserable to go around in life, as a fan as i am, always complaining like a spoiled child that we did not get X player etc.

(Not a dig at you that)

I simply enjoy football, and the sooner the transfer window is over, the better.

Its a f***ing crime against humanity that the transfer window does not end before the season, it ruin people  :lol:

And to be honest, i do not think a RB and a striker would propel us into the top 4 next season anyway, and that is not being pessimistic, but a realistic optimist  :lol:

Also, some people here say spurs are so active, and sign players etc. If you look at Spurs you see they usually sell a star player to invest in the squad.

Like we did with Carroll. Who would you sell?

I think this is what annoys me most about this thread and the forum at times.

We've got the best team we've had in ages, some likeable and classy players, we're in Europe when everyone expected mid table, we're being run well. But we have to waste our breath stereotyping each other's views and arguing about basically who is the best kind of fan.

We have a class club and a good team, let's enjoy it for a while at least.

I suppose I could just not come on here.

I wouldn't get too wound up by Eric. This is the same guy who missed all of last season's games because he refused out of principle to watch a side while Ashley was owner. Anyone who can't make a point without foaming at the mouth isn't worth bothering about too much.

Probably missed a handful of games all season thanks to technology, wrong as usual.

We'd be 8th in the table.  What's your point?

My point is that we've spent very little on players over a period of years and so far this window seems to be going the same way.

I'm not too bothered how much we spend except for when we're not strengthening our first team because of it.  I'm happy getting players on the cheap and would rather get them for nothing but that can't always happen.  It looks like we could be going backwards this season in terms of league position and the reason for that will be our refusal to invest in our first team.

So as soon as we break even (mainly due player sales), you want us to start spending larger amounts again??  You do realise that we were running at a loss for years before that?  Do you think those losses don't count or something?

Re the failed bids - yes, it looks like we have been prepared to spend money on players.  But crucially, it is the right money on the right players.  If Carr and Pardew don't think that there is a right back out there worth the money that is being asked for them, what is the point in buying the wrong player just for the sake of it?  It doesn't make any sense, business, footballing or otherwise.

I think we can assume the Cisse purchase was nearer 9 million to be honest - but I still am intrigued to know who spent more?

Dave has already brought it to the thread that player trading is excluded, pointless, irrelevant, redundant point.

Carr & Pardew present the targets and clearly think they're worth the investment, hence him getting regularly pissed off when for whatever reason a deal isn't done for their targets. The football people identify the targets, the finance people do the deal, what is the wrong player? Is Debuchy the wrong player? A French International who is 10 times the player Simpson is but won't cost 10 x in £.

If you're that intrigued I'm sure google will help you and it'll be able to clarify if it was £7m or £9m if it that much of an issue, there are Pardew quotes.

Don't know how anyone can say we're going backwards in terms of league position after two games, in one of which we've beaten Spurs.

Who said that?

Erm, you?

If you mean you said we "could" be going backwards, then fair enough. Anyone "could" go backwards or forwards, if your point is that generic then it's irrelevant.

Don't know how anyone can say we're going backwards in terms of league position after two games, in one of which we've beaten Spurs.

Stop imagining things Ian, he said could, it's a credible observation given extra commitments and weaknesses in the squad remaining to be addressed, unlike you others think it's not a sub-standard window, January apart, it's pretty much the norm.

Stop imagining things Ian, he said could, it's a credible observation given extra commitments and weaknesses in the squad remaining to be addressed, unlike you others think it's not a sub-standard window, January apart, it's pretty much the norm.

Of course, sorry.

Dave has already brought it to the thread that player trading is excluded, pointless, irrelevant, redundant point.

Carr & Pardew present the targets and clearly think they're worth the investment, hence him getting regularly p*ssed off when for whatever reason a deal isn't done for their targets. The football people identify the targets, the finance people do the deal, what is the wrong player? Is Debuchy the wrong player? A French International who is 10 times the player Simpson is but won't cost 10 x in £.

If you're that intrigued I'm sure google will help you and it'll be able to clarify if it was £7m or £9m if it that much of an issue, there are Pardew quotes.

Why is player trading redundant?  Regardless of whether someone thinks player trading specifically is redundant, our overall financial situation is not redundant.  I am sure one of the resident accountants can highlight the losses we have made over the last 5-10 years.  One year of breaking even does not eradicate historic losses.

Evidence for Pardew getting pissed off when deals are done for targets?  I haven't seen him making any comments in the media - he seems generally to be pretty sensible about our transfer dealings and accepts the financial situation and recruitment strategy as it stands.

No ones happy over the Debuchy situation. In terms of squad signings, how easy is it to upgrade our squad at this point? Many who'd come in and be better than our current reserves will be first team players elsewhere. Would they want to join our bench? All this is ignored.

We know Ashley is trying to run the club correctly financially. Does it make sense to shell out on players who may not see much gametime, when a club in our position may be able to get much better players in the future? Let alone show that we are willing to even pay above a players real value when pushed? I dont see how this will help us long term. We likely wouldnt have Cisse right now without that exact strategy.

Erm, you?

If you mean you said we "could" be going backwards, then fair enough. Anyone "could" go backwards or forwards, if your point is that generic then it's irrelevant.

I did say "could" and it's not irrelevant, it only becomes irrelevant if it turns out not to be true.  :lol:

It may have escaped you but teams around us have been investing in players which they feel are going to strengthen them while we haven't.  We've brought in one player who could be classed as being ready for the first team and we've also brought 3 players in for the future.  During that time we've lost players who started 31 league games between them in important positions.  We may or may not have strengthened midfield, we've weakened our options if Cisse or Ba get injured as we're relying on a player who doesn't seem capable of playing 90 minutes or we bring in a 17 year old kid who doesn't need league games at this time.

No ones happy over the Debuchy situation. In terms of squad signings, how easy is it to upgrade our squad at this point? Many who'd come in and be better than our current reserves will be first team players elsewhere. Would they want to join our bench? All this is ignored.

We know Ashley is trying to run the club correctly financially. Does it make sense to shell out on players who may not see much gametime, when a club in our position may be able to get much better players in the future? Let alone show that we are willing to even pay above a players real value when pushed? I dont see how this will help us long term. We likely wouldnt have Cisse right now without that exact strategy.

Be real. our "second team" isn´t that great. For example I can name Obertan and Gosling. For all I know. Everytime they plays there is always name calling.

You answered your own question.  :lol:

Guest BooBoo

So let's just have a strong first XI and a load of kids. After all there's no point having players if they're not going to see much game time.

Plenty of players would see joining NUFC as a squad player as a step up in their career.

You said we broke even due to player trading, which is patently untrue, so it's a redundant point  :rolleyes:

Nobody is saying one year of breaking even eradicates any losses, the losses that Mike Ashley has swallowed up have no bearing on anything, hence him sanctioning unsucesful bids of 8 figures more than once already this window  :rolleyes:

When deals AREN'T done, like the quotes I've posted from previous windows, here's another from today

"If you can't do your business in the summer, then I don't know why because there is plenty of time."

What are you trying to defend with your fallacies? What is the point you are trying to make?  :blush: