Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I know everyone will dismiss this post immediately, but here it goes anyway. Everyone else is allowed a megapost on this, so I'll have one as well.

It doesn't really make sense to say "I trust the clubs policy, but this time we should step out side of it for X reason".

If we just avoided relegation we would be saying "why won't we spend a bit more to guarantee safety", same if we were bordering on UEFA cup, Champions League or winning the title. You can always spend more to try and reach higher.

I am disappointed in this transfer window, because we looked to be nailed-on to sign a player in a position we really needed. That's a let down. But last window delivered Cisse, and the ones before that another handful of really excellent signings. We have upgraded our squad in general, except for fullback and possibly up front.

Recent activity has earned the club a bit of leeway IMO, if they fail to get the players in this time around then I think there'll be a decent enough reason. Not necessarily one that a fan will agree with 100%, but one which follows from the way we are being run now, which I think is a lot better than how it was in the recent past.

I know everyone will dismiss this post immediately, but here it goes anyway. Everyone else is allowed a megapost on this, so I'll have one as well.

It doesn't really make sense to say "I trust the clubs policy, but this time we should step out side of it for X reason".

If we just avoided relegation we would be saying "why won't we spend a bit more to guarantee safety", same if we were bordering on UEFA cup, Champions League or winning the title. You can always spend more to try and reach higher.

I am disappointed in this transfer window, because we looked to be nailed-on to sign a player in a position we really needed. That's a let down. But last window delivered Cisse, and the ones before that another handful of really excellent signings. We have upgraded our squad in general, except for fullback and possibly up front.

Recent activity has earned the club a bit of leeway IMO, if they fail to get the players in this time around then I think there'll be a decent enough reason. Not necessarily one that a fan will agree with 100%, but one which follows from the way we are being run now, which I think is a lot better than how it was in the recent past.

I don't really disagree with much of that, except that I have a feeling we won't get such a flying start as we did last season, and there's going to be a bit of after the Lord Mayor's show this time round. I can't see fan's being happy with being overtaken by Liverpool and Everton this season because our vision is focused on getting the right players over the longer term.

Guest neesy111

Not showing any ambition could deflate some of our star players who clearly will have felt after last season we would be in a position to strengthen the squad at least and add 1 or 2 key names to the squad.

Our transfer policy is correct in some ways but flawed in other ways.

Spot on Ian. :thup:

:thup: :thup: :thup:

Guest neesy111

:no:

:no:

:sadnod:

Whilst I agree with aspects of this I don't see why the board have to be so rigid with regards to their policy. Surely their comes a point when their stubbornness in treating the policy as the be all and end all becomes a hinderence in the club moving forward? For me as the club moves on and adapts so should the transfer policy. Again I'm not saying an entire change of ethos, just a little bit of leeway that we've earned.

I don't really disagree with much of that, except that I have a feeling we won't get such a flying start as we did last season, and there's going to be a bit of after the Lord Mayor's show this time round. I can't see fan's being happy with being overtaken by Liverpool and Everton this season because our vision is focused on getting the right players over the longer term.

i think this season is going to be a struggle in a way, not a relegation struggle or owt daft but i think it'll take it's toll on our tiny squad and we''ll have less consistency and consecutive good results that helped us so much last year

i also choose to look at our 'activity' in a positive sense too in that before pardew had the fallback of people like smith, loven and best who were capable but very limited (not best)....now he's basically gonna be forced to put the bairns like campbell in or run the first 11 into the ground rather than rely on older known quantities as we've done in the past

it might not work out so great this season but it'll stand them and us in good stead down the line

I've maintained the entire summer we are waiting to qualify for EL proper before we actually commit to signings. Conjecture on my part but I reckon there will be something in place and if we qualify tonight we'll push it through

that's a fair comment that, can't believe i didn't look at it like that

I've maintained the entire summer we are waiting to qualify for EL proper before we actually commit to signings. Conjecture on my part but I reckon there will be something in place and if we qualify tonight we'll push it through

Does the EL even bring in enough revenue to fund extra players? Unless it does why would waiting make any difference?

If the club doesn't consider Debuchy worth the money, and doesn't consider Simpson worth the contract he wants, then what is the solution?

He will walk away for nowt next summer, and then what? Replace him with one on the cheap, or Raylor or Perch? Or spend proper money on a quality replacement. If it's the latter, why not do that now, and flog Simpson for a million or two?

All this talk of keeping the books balanced and yet hanging onto Simpson til he's on a bosman is not economically sensible. Both from a football and economic sense we are losing out.

I reckon we have probably thrown cheeky bids on a number of tables in the hope we get a deadline day bargain when someone caves in. If we do, great, and if we don't, we deal with it next summer. I think that is the approach but it basically leaves everything to chance.

Does the EL even bring in enough revenue to fund extra players? Unless it does why would waiting make any difference?

So we can offer players European football??

Tend to agree. Also good posts from Ian and Consortium of One.

It may be a disappoimting window but too many obituaries being penned before anyone's died.

Guest neesy111

We could get around 10M extra this side of winter through group stage and ticket receipts.

1. Players might not come if we don't actually have euro football

2. Not sure about finances, I imagine a bit of extra tv money and qualification prize money might add a million here or there which they might not otherwise

3. Might feel that, if they don't qualify for EL, squad as it is fine for domestic-only campaign

Taking in all the above, qualification may well change what we may pay for a player. It's just a guess.

Guest neesy111

Sounds like ready made excuse for the club that.  Well they put the EL qualifying 1 day before transfer window deadline so we couldn't be certain to sign players.

Good points but in my post I wasn't advocating any crazy deals that were way out of the box, just to clarify.

But if the policy is to buy younger players who can a) appreciate as players and b) appreciate in value and you cannot land one of those players for an area of need perhaps you have to stretch the parameters a bit.  Maybe you go for a 27 y/o instead of a guy 24-25.  I think we all understand the trap of stretching too far but if you have this opportunity in front of you...