Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How very undwhelming. Dont think I've started a summer with so much optimism for it to slowly fade away by the end of August. The fact of the matter is we haven't brought enough players in order to mount a successful league campaign and a European challenge. We can all see what we need. It's criminal going into this so short at the back and up top. It's a huge risk.

I'm not over reacting, nor am i acting like a spoiled child, I'm just disappointed my club hasn't showed the level of ambition to push on to better things despite the best opportunity in a decade to really make a mark of the Premier League. If come tomorrow night we haven't signed anyone then the factor that'll be most irritating is the fact the core of our team is really something special. We've got the likes of Coloccini, one of the finest defenders I've seen at NUFC, we've got a thoroughly classy midfield and two strikers that we're s*** hot last season. We're not talking about a lack of ambition preventing us moving away from mid table mediocrity or a flirt with relegation, we're talking about a lack of ambition that'll see us turn from a good side, into a pretty fantastic team, that's the heartbreak of it all.

Another factor thats peeved folk is the fact that we've been here before. The similarities between summer 03/04 when a lack of investment saw us fail to qualify for the champions league and this summer are all to clear to see. That SBR side was a damn good side, just like our team last season and we fell away from the pack because we didnt push on, you could argue that we never really recovered from from that summer.

People arent asking for us to blow millions on superstars; most people just want to see a little drive and ambition from the board. People want to see the bar raised, not just aiming to achieve what we did last season. If we aimed higher and fell short of last seasons finish then so be it, but at least we had a pop. I really dont see how expecting the board to spend that extra million or two on a player, or bring in players in areas that we desperately need rather than just hoping Pardew can achieve what he did last season with a thread bare squad is too much to ask.

It's not too much to ask, it's just not the way this board operates and never has done. We won't go over our valuation of a player and we won't pay more than a certain wage. I don't see that changing now especially after last season's success with this policy. That said we've missed out on a few players by refusing to stump up a bit extra, Victor Moses and Neil Taylor are two that come to mind, but on the whole it's worked so why would they change it?

Not that I agree with their philosophy, but the doubters were proven spectacularly wrong last season. FWIW, I do believe the lack of a quality full back on both sides will see us slip a couple of places down the league. I doubt Ashley will be bothered as big outlay is only recouped through CL places, and he probably figures it's not worth the risk considering there's only one place o fight for realistically.

Absolutely nowt wrong in principle with refusing to go over a valuation, but why are there no alternatives?

Was it not Pardew or Llambias that came out bleating about our strategy on how we have a target for a position then if we cant get them we have another option (and that they are not a Plan B) but another attainable target etc.

Given we have basically admitted we want a right back, Pardew said at the talk in he wanted a goal scoring centre half and the fact we bid for De Jong/Carroll, to show that we want/need a RB, CB and Striker and so far have none of them is ridiculous.  It really is a joke...

To try and put on a positive spin:

We have Sylvain Marveux fully fit for the new season, as the case with Steven Taylor. Papiss Cisse plays a full year with us as does Santon and Hatem Ben Arfa begins a season for the first time in his 3rd year with us. So that's arguably 5 players we couldn't rely on this time last year with more experience and settled in. Count Anita in and the development of Vuckic, Abeid, Amalfitano, Bigirimana, Tavernier to add to that.

I am personally gutted to miss out on an established RB and ST, but the squad is not as bad as people make out. It finished 5th with additions made. Arguably Liverpool look weak, Arsenal stagnant, and Spurs have ripped a team apart finishing 4th and are in transition with a power-hungry manager! I think we'll be okay because the Europa is evidently an ideal run out for fringe men although I'd love to win it. Pardew has maintained it's league first and I'd say about 18 of our squad are up to that. Perhaps the targets we wanted were not reasonable financially and nobody can argue that last 18 months we've done badly on that side.

Positive feelings, you could have ateam that spends £22m on Fletcher and Johnson and believe you've acquired Messi and Pele.

Absolutely nowt wrong in principle with refusing to go over a valuation, but why are there no alternatives?

Hard to say isn't it, could be that there are less options for us now we are looking for a higher standard of player. No point buying a RB unless he's a lot lot better than Simpson.

[insert joke about how that's not hard here]

How very undwhelming. Dont think I've started a summer with so much optimism for it to slowly fade away by the end of August. The fact of the matter is we haven't brought enough players in order to mount a successful league campaign and a European challenge. We can all see what we need. It's criminal going into this so short at the back and up top. It's a huge risk.

I'm not over reacting, nor am i acting like a spoiled child, I'm just disappointed my club hasn't showed the level of ambition to push on to better things despite the best opportunity in a decade to really make a mark of the Premier League. If come tomorrow night we haven't signed anyone then the factor that'll be most irritating is the fact the core of our team is really something special. We've got the likes of Coloccini, one of the finest defenders I've seen at NUFC, we've got a thoroughly classy midfield and two strikers that we're s*** hot last season. We're not talking about a lack of ambition preventing us moving away from mid table mediocrity or a flirt with relegation, we're talking about a lack of ambition that'll see us turn from a good side, into a pretty fantastic team, that's the heartbreak of it all.

Another factor thats peeved folk is the fact that we've been here before. The similarities between summer 03/04 when a lack of investment saw us fail to qualify for the champions league and this summer are all to clear to see. That SBR side was a damn good side, just like our team last season and we fell away from the pack because we didnt push on, you could argue that we never really recovered from from that summer.

People arent asking for us to blow millions on superstars; most people just want to see a little drive and ambition from the board. People want to see the bar raised, not just aiming to achieve what we did last season. If we aimed higher and fell short of last seasons finish then so be it, but at least we had a pop. I really dont see how expecting the board to spend that extra million or two on a player, or bring in players in areas that we desperately need rather than just hoping Pardew can achieve what he did last season with a thread bare squad is too much to ask.

Absolutely bang on. You're right, no one is asking us to pay millions for superstars, just a bit ambition ffs. I think everyone supports Ashley's model to a certain extent, I mean look at the fucking clip of QPR etc. But when we (according to reports, paper won't refuse ink and all that) seemingly are to miss out on Debuchy for the sake of a million, its very frustrating.

A signing like Debuchy, a French international who shone at the Euro's would have give not only the fans a lift, but the players too. Who's to say the likes of Coloccini, Cabaye, Krul etc aren't having their say behind the scenes?

I'm not saying last season was a fluke, because we were fantastic in bursts. But there is no way Chelsea will be that poor again. Just look at how they have addressed their league position. I know we haven't got a Billionaire Russian like a kid in a sweet shop, but every year, no matter where you finish you should look to improve. Aim higher, because you never know what can happen.

It looks as though Ashley etc are hoping for the same again this season, hopefully the team can somehow squeeze a top 6 finish and their model is the fucking dogs bollocks again, until deadline day comes around and everyone starts to squirm. I can't see us getting top 6, that's not being negative either. I love the team, love Pardew and his staff, but to ask them to challenge on 4 fronts with the squad we've got would be nothing but unfair.

Hard to say isn't it, could be that there are less options for us now we are looking for a higher standard of player. No point buying a RB unless he's a lot lot better than Simpson.

[insert joke about how that's not hard here]

Either you're on the payroll or you're not all there.

I think we're just really set on Debuchy and are looking to get him in a future transfer window

and persevere with Simpson in the interim rather than go for a plan b.

Or plan C, for that matter, given that Van der Wiel supposedly turned us down

All assumptions at the end of the day but i honestly believe we did have 3 options for a fullback.

Debuchy, Van der Wiel and the last one and this is where the assumptions come in Cissokho and moving Santon to RB.

Debuchy we did'nt want to pay for, VdW's wages was deemed to high and Cissokho went to Valencia.

Still think we should have signed Clyne when he was available though.

I think we're just really set on Debuchy and are looking to get him in a future transfer window

Not only does that piss on everything Pardew and the club have told us about how we bring players in, it makes little sense considering he's not exactly a young player. He would be for now, not the future.

Even if you mean January, the interim period is over half the season. It's not like lasting through the ACoN when we might only miss someone for three or four matches.

You'd have to assume that is probably the reason.  I suppose they don't see the point in spending £5 million plus on their 4th/5th choice player who may not actually be a huge improvement on Simpson.  They'd rather wait to see if they can get Debuchy now or in January.

Whether we should have just paid the extra £1 million that Lille then decided for ask for is a different matter.

Guest Wally_McFool

Sums the situation up perfectly.

Excellent post!

Sums the situation up perfectly.

Excellent post!

Spot on...

I think that's the reply which sounds closest to the truth. I would prefer us to have gone for an alternative but you can only assume we believe we'll get Debuchy at some point so don't want to buy someone inferior who will take that spot for the next few years. Still don't see why we couldn't have at least brought in a promising left back, unless people at the club believe Shane Ferguson is good enough to do a job if needed.

Count me amongst the disappointed.  At this point, IMO, we need to bring in a starting quality FB (either RB or LB) and a 3rd striker.  Earlier, I would have included a CB but it looks like Perchinho can help out in central defense.  I understand the club's transfer policy.  It's sensible and has worked to this point in time.  However, there are times when it is prudent to step slightly out of those parameters to seize the moment.  If ever there was an opportunity to push on for the top four, this is it.  Surely FB was the most pressing and I'm surprised that Debuchy was the only target we had interest in.  Really?  The club couldn't find anyone else to fit the club's desired profile?  Similarly, the only strikers we were interested in were Luuk De Jong and Andy Carroll?  The only CB was Douglas?

They've done a fine job stocking the midfield with Anita, Amalfitano and Bigi.  To a lesser extent, they signed Good but he's more one for the future.  I find it hard to believe that Debuchy was our only target at FB and there haven't been any targets worth pursuing at striker as well.  Surely the 12-15M in the Carroll discussion could land a good starting quality FB and a decent young striker of similar quality to Leon Best?

In the end, I will say I trust the club's new policy.  However, with so many top teams in a state of flux it would have been a good window to step outside the box, as it were, and make sure you filled the positions that needed to be filled.