Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So they're leaving it until the last possible day on the off chance we get knocked out of Europe? Fuck me, they're even tighter than I thought in that case. :lol:

Don't buy that whatsoever personally, even if someone came in tomorrow I doubt very much that forms part of the reasoning.

So they're leaving it until the last possible day on the off chance we get knocked out of Europe? f*** me, they're even tighter than I thought in that case. :lol:

Don't buy that whatsoever personally, even if someone came in tomorrow I doubt very much that forms part of the reasoning.

My point was more they may have deals in place and then tonight may trigger accordingly.

The writing was on the wall even before the window opened with all that "we`ll be over the moon if we can keep all our key players" blah.

On hearing this piece of obvious football-speak politics bluster, it quickly became apparent to me that we will either get what we want on the cheap (Mikey loves a bargain) & we`ll keep what we`ve got, unless another Kenny with clowns pockets comes along with another wheebarrow full of dough.

On this basis anything else will be a bonus.

I've maintained the entire summer we are waiting to qualify for EL proper before we actually commit to signings. Conjecture on my part but I reckon there will be something in place and if we qualify tonight we'll push it through

Does the EL even bring in enough revenue to fund extra players? Unless it does why would waiting make any difference?

We could get around 10M extra this side of winter through group stage and ticket receipts.

I stand to be corrected, but that just sounds wildly wrong.

We talked about this before. There just isn't that much money available in the Europa - Pardew himself has said as much. He may be more worried about the potential demands it makes on the squad.

Guest neesy111

Does the new tv money kick in next season? If so, could it be that players like Debuchy and Douglas for example, are holding out until next season in the hope that they could earn more money in wages?

We didn't even get to contract negotiation with them 2 deals :lol:

Does the new tv money kick in next season? If so, could it be that players like Debuchy and Douglas for example, are holding out until next season in the hope that they could earn more money in wages?

We didn't even get to contract negotiation with them 2 deals :lol:

Not the point. The players' agents will know this and will have informed the players they represent about the new tv deal. It's not so hard to imagine players thinking, "why move to England now, when I could possibly get a bigger wage next season" etc..

Plus I'm pretty sure the players and their agents will have a good idea about the range of salaries we'd be looking to offer them.

As things stand with a day and a bit to go I think we're marginally better off than we were a year ago, based mainly on Anita's arrival, although the kids we've acquired do look useful and as someone said earlier having Saylor, HBA, Cisse and Marveaux ready from the start is a big plus.

Looking elsewhere I don't see any significant improvement with the exception of Everton, Chelsea and Man U (based on RVP alone) while some of our rivals have slipped back if anything and Liverpool just seem to be confused.

There is much huffing and puffing down in Albania on Wear, as is the norm at this point in the season, but the extent to which they've moved forward is debatable and they were starting from a very low base anyway.

Overall I'm pretty meh about it all, hasn't been bad or good for us, like everyone I'll be real happy to see a quality full back or forward added to the squad either tomorrow or if not in January.

Have to say I won't be totally surprised if we receive an "unrefusable" offer before it ends either. Hope not though.

As things stand with a day and a bit to go I think we're marginally better off than we were a year ago, based mainly on Anita's arrival, although the kids we've acquired do look useful and as someone said earlier having Saylor, HBA, Cisse and Marveaux ready from the start is a big plus.

Looking elsewhere I don't see any significant improvement with the exception of Everton, Chelsea and Man U (based on RVP alone) while some of our rivals have slipped back if anything and Liverpool just seem to be confused.

There is much huffing and puffing down in Albania on Wear, as is the norm at this point in the season, but the extent to which they've moved forward is debatable and they were starting from a very low base anyway.

Overall I'm pretty meh about it all, hasn't been bad or good for us, like everyone I'll be real happy to see a quality full back or forward added to the squad either tomorrow or if not in January.

Have to say I won't be totally surprised if we receive an "unrefusable" offer before it ends either. Hope not though.

Very fair assessment.

Santon too, plus compared to last year Perch has undergone a Superman transformation program succesfully.

That said, whilst the transfer window (providing there are no more changes, incoming or outgoing) has not been the unmitigated disaster some on here would have you believe, we could and perhaps should have done better.

That said, whilst the transfer window (providing there are no more changes, incoming or outgoing) has not been the unmitigated disaster some on here would have you believe

Nobody has said that.

It's strange how the biggest positive being thrown around about this window is that we've not sold anyone, even though we've had no bids. Funny how some people's mind works.

Santon too, plus compared to last year Perch has undergone a Superman transformation program succesfully.

That said, whilst the transfer window (providing there are no more changes, incoming or outgoing) has not been the unmitigated disaster some on here would have you believe, we could and perhaps should have done better.

Yup and hopefully nothing negative happens in the next 30 hours or so.

Good point about Perch, he was excellent last season and the greatest compliment he can be paid is that he almost meant we didn't miss Colo against Spurs. He will cover several positions this season and must be a great lad to have around the club.

Just hope the scousers (or macums) aren't lining up a £20M bid for him  ;)

That said, whilst the transfer window (providing there are no more changes, incoming or outgoing) has not been the unmitigated disaster some on here would have you believe

Nobody has said that.

It's strange how the biggest positive being thrown around about this window is that we've not sold anyone, even though we've had no bids. Funny how some people's mind works.

Whether or not we've had bids, not selling anyone is a positive. It means we still have our best players.

Nobody has said that.

Whether or not we've had bids, not selling anyone is a positive. It means we still have our best players.

But it's not an "achievement" if we literally had no other option. It shouldn't factor into any appraisal of this window because of that.

Guest reefatoon

This transfer window has been a bit like this:

http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2011/4/7/75b1e196-59f2-4680-b70b-c9064b559d80.gif

I know everyone will dismiss this post immediately, but here it goes anyway. Everyone else is allowed a megapost on this, so I'll have one as well.

It doesn't really make sense to say "I trust the clubs policy, but this time we should step out side of it for X reason".

If we just avoided relegation we would be saying "why won't we spend a bit more to guarantee safety", same if we were bordering on UEFA cup, Champions League or winning the title. You can always spend more to try and reach higher.

I am disappointed in this transfer window, because we looked to be nailed-on to sign a player in a position we really needed. That's a let down. But last window delivered Cisse, and the ones before that another handful of really excellent signings. We have upgraded our squad in general, except for fullback and possibly up front.

Recent activity has earned the club a bit of leeway IMO, if they fail to get the players in this time around then I think there'll be a decent enough reason. Not necessarily one that a fan will agree with 100%, but one which follows from the way we are being run now, which I think is a lot better than how it was in the recent past.

Big thumbs up on this one. Disappointed will also be how I feel if we don't sign anyone, however, I will have no specific gripes unless it were to continue as such in consecutive windows. I don't believe for a second it would

This transfer window has been a bit like this:

http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2011/4/7/75b1e196-59f2-4680-b70b-c9064b559d80.gif

He has a transfer vagina.

Only explanation.

Nobody has said that.

But it's not an "achievement" if we literally had no other option. It shouldn't factor into any appraisal of this window because of that.

But it is clearly a positive that we've kept them, regardless of why. Which is what you're claiming is a strange thing for people to say. You're the one adding the context of it being used as a positive for the board.

Outside of that we've no idea whether clubs have made enquirys over the status of our players, or our likelyhood in being open to recieving offers. I imagine there are clubs interested in our players, so you should ask yourself why theyve not bothered to bid also.

I reckon tonight will have a huge factor on any deals that may or may not be happening behind closed doors - European football vs non European football is a huge factor.

Personally I think the window has been OK. We're building up a squad, albeit a bit inexperienced, that will aid with cup runs and injuries. I would have liked a couple of new faces (Debuchy and an additional striker now that Best and Lovely have moved on) but keeping our players yet again is a huge positive. If the window SLAMMED SHUT now, I wouldn't be fully confident of having a strong top 6 competitive squad, but I would be happy. Lets see what tomorrow brings!

Guest reefatoon

I hate hearing "we have not sold anyone, so it's great news"  It's such a negative line to be throwing about.

We shouldn't have to judge a transfer window as a success because we have not sold anyone.

I just hate the negativity of that quote.

Nobody has said that.

Well I don't really care if it's an "achievement" or not, it's positive that none of our best players have left.

Nobody has said that.

Well I don't really care if it's an "achievement" or not, it's positive that none of our best players have left.

Yeah, and i'm sure they as well as us expected far more quality through the door.

If we are doing ok then fine, but if we struggle I expect a few itchy feet come January.

I hate hearing "we have not sold anyone, so it's great news"  It's such a negative line to be throwing about.

We shouldn't have to judge a transfer window as a success because we have not sold anyone.

I just hate the negativity of that quote.

Put it another way. We havn't had to spill out cash on a new Krul, Coloccini, Taylor, Santon, Cabaye, Tiote (although some would argue we have), Gutierrez, Marveaux, Ben Arfa, Ba, Cisse, Ameobi etc. Its not like we've sold AC and had to spend money other clubs know we have. Plus you know the current players are absorbed in the team, club and city and more importantly are happy here. A team unit is worth more than any multi millionaire gamble imo.

Its not even a negative viewpoint, its just realistic. Any side that has a singular very good season is going to be vunerable to the sides who have been established at the top for longer & have money to throw around on fees & wages. Those clubs are simply a safer bet for players for long term success because they have proven they can repeat the process & can give the player more to achieve it.

We have what looks like the start of a strong project & are hoping to repeat what we achieved. To do that the players have to fully believe they & their teammates can reach the same levels of ability & produce a similar outcome. Ours do seem to, which says a lot about our team spirit & the belief they have in eachother. Otherwise you have agents touting them around & players looking to push on to see where else they can get. Instead ours recommend the club to their mates.

Ofcourse its a positive keeping them together when you see the sides that finished next to us losing their best players.