Let's not get too depressed

Tiresias

Definitely not worth being depressed over, I know it's relative but our squad now is brilliant compared to previous years. Anita looks a decent signing and whilst we may not of massively pushed on we've kept all our players and that in itself is something. A good win on Sunday and I'll be happy x

Mentioned it in another thread but Arsenal & Spurs haven't strengthened either, so we're not losing ground. And our 3 strikers is actually more than Chelsea (Torres, Sturridge), Spurs (Adebayor, Defoe) and Liverpool (Racist, Borini). I'm still livid about our failure to push on and show ambition but as a Newcastle fan I guess I'm used to compartmentalisation.

presuming Pards sticks with 4-4-2, if Ba or Cisse gets injured suspect the plan then is 4-4-1-1 with HBA behind striker and Obertan on right.

Assuming them and Shola injured / at ACON / time for ben arfa to be a false no 9? Be a bit silly but interesting. Campbell could be thrown in at deep end

The thought of Obertan starting in the Premier League makes me want to vomit.

We won a fair few games last season with him starting.

So your pointless post makes me want to vomit, maybe if he starts vs villa we should have a contest.

I've seen us win a canny few games with Alan Smith starting, maybe we should try and get him back?

I've nothing against him personally and he seems like a nice fella but there's no point pretending he's not absolutely dire at Premier League level.

He may be useless virtually every day of his life, but at least he's a physical body.

Nah I think Shola is a very useful sub these days, but he's had lots of problems with injuries and he's nowhere near good enough to start league games. The other players you mentioned are, so I don't think we're any better off than them in terms of numbers.

The 2 at Newcastle, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs are all better but at least we have a 3rd option. Spurs have Harry Kane and I don't think the other two have one at all - though perhaps Moses can get moved there. It doesn't justify not replacing Best but at least our club isn't alone in lacking depth.

Still happy with our first 11, but its so frustrating the lack of ambition at the club. It doesn't even involve breaking the bank to improve one or two positions and get another couple in as cover.

FWIW this just proves that the cynical people aren't always wrong and their opinions should be respected. I doubt that it'll be taken on board by the usual lot though.

The irony is that the cynical people (I was one of them not so long ago) are proven right again and again at the end of the transfer window.

On the pitch, where it really matters, we've outdone ourselves the last few seasons however. Here's hoping it continues!

We shouldn't be thought of, by anyone, as "outdoing ourselves".

As a club we are well capable of achieving consistent success, without "outdoing" ourselves !!!!!!

Surely!

Then, we can kick-on to the next level.

Oops . . . that is what we were meant to start doing in the summer transfer window, oh well! 

FWIW this just proves that the cynical people aren't always wrong and their opinions should be respected. I doubt that it'll be taken on board by the usual lot though.

The irony is that the cynical people (I was one of them not so long ago) are proven right again and again at the end of the transfer window.

On the pitch, where it really matters, we've outdone ourselves the last few seasons however. Here's hoping it continues!

We shouldn't be thought of, by anyone, as "outdoing ourselves".

As a club we are well capable of achieving consistent success, without "outdoing" ourselves !!!!!!

Surely!

Then, we can kick-on to the next level.

Oops . . . that is what we were meant to start doing in the summer transfer window, oh well! 

I'm sorry, but if you think our record breaking Championship season and finishing in the top 5 against all odds were par for the course it makes me wonder where you have been in the last decade. We've experienced our fair share of lows, nowt wrong with saying these were highpoints where we did better than anybody could have expected.

We have virtually the same squad as last year and we finished 5th. Depression is laughable.

Transfer window is done, it was slightly disapointing but now is time to get behind the lads.

Exactly/ We've been through a hell of a lot worse the last few years. We've still got a hell of a first 11 and  European football to look forward too. Not to mention what looks like potentially a cracking new centre midfielder. Lets crack on with it, there'll be better windows ahead i'm sure. Lets get back to football now.

The irony is that the cynical people (I was one of them not so long ago) are proven right again and again at the end of the transfer window. On the pitch, where it really matters, we've outdone ourselves the last few seasons however. Here's hoping it continues!

We've arguably exceeded expectations in our last 2 seasons (3 if you think some people didn't think we'd come straight back up from the Championship), so how have they been proven right?

Proven right insofar that people who are pessimistic during the transfer window and get told by the "at least wait until the end of the window" brigade to hold their horses are proven right to be cynical of our transfer business when the window eventually shuts. I don't remember the last time I felt great at the end of a transfer window. Of course, as I said, where it matters, i.e. on the pitch, we've done really well in the last few seasons. Not sure why you're arguing, have a feeling you knew exactly what I meant.

I don't think it should be about who has been proven right or who has been proven wrong. It's about supporting the team and I, for one, will be doing that regardless of who who have/ haven't signed. Haway the lads

As others have said, the thing that has disappointed me is our failure to strengthen in certain key areas that really needed to be strengthened, and I simply can't believe that we are starting this new season with Danny Simpson as our first choice right back, inexcusable in my opinion.  I hope Pardew sees sense and Perch becomes first choice in that position at least.  Before people give me grief for picking on Simpson it's not that he's that bad, it's just that he's a blatantly obvious weak link in the side.

I'm very pleased with the signing of Anita though and the position we are in when it comes to young players such as Abeid, Bigi, Tav, Vuckic, Campbell etc not to mention first-teamers like Santon who will kick on further.  I'm also very pleased we managed to hold on to the likes of Krul, Colo, Benni, Cabaye, Tiote, Ba and Cisse when everyone and his dog thought we'd lose them.

We might not do quite as well as last season, who knows, but it should still be a good one and I reckon we might be spending a little bit of money in January - wouldn't be surprised at all to see Debuchy arrive then (unless he went to Madrid or somewhere last night and I missed it :lol:).

I'm in for sure. I expected worse from the transfer window, and we got a pretty cushy Europa draw too. European fuckin football! Midweek games that are on at a decent hour in the Pacific timezone!

Now if somebody would just lock Cisse and Ba in a rec center overnight and force them to become best friends....