Newcastle United 1 - 1 Aston Villa - 02/09/12 - post-match reaction from page 39

Dave

Wank.

Disjointed, lethargic, unbalanced and disorganised. How many more performances like that is it going to take for Pardew to change things? Why wait for it to fail before changing things around?

The team comes first and if that means upsetting Ba by asking him to play wider then so be it. Awful performance and quite lucky to get a point tbph.

Guest neesy111

Oh, and with all the fullback options injured the vast majority of the players out there today have no competition for places. They know they're in the side next match no matter what.

Goalkeeper? Nope.

Fullbacks? Don't make me laugh.

Central defence? Not unless someone gets injured.

Midfield? Cabaye is guaranteed to start and Tiote's competion is now an 18 year old.

Wingers? Depends on the formation. Not much, really.

Strikers? Literally none.

The failure to bring in the players we needed has knock-on effects that have already come into play, days later.

:thup:

I like Pardew and I think he has done tremendously with the team for nearly 2 years. Hes a great man manager and brilliant with the media. But i just feel he lacks tactically. The quality of players we have in our squad, we should be dictating games alot more than we currently do. Maybe we need a tactical coach to work under him, someone from the continent, to take us to the next level.

We finished 5 last season, we are 3 games in to the new season.  Yes, I agree we have looked a bit "meh" but lets at least see what we are like after 10 games.

I like Pardew and I think he has done tremendously with the team for nearly 2 years. Hes a great man manager and brilliant with the media. But i just feel he lacks tactically. The quality of players we have in our squad, we should be dictating games alot more than we currently do. Maybe we need a tactical coach to work under him, someone from the continent, to take us to the next level.

Appreciate you sugarcoating and caveating your criticism for the forum, but there's no need to: Pardew is a dreadful tactician. One of the most talented squads playing football which wouldn't look out of place at the Brittania.

Just complete bullshit. He isn't at all.

He doesn't lack tactically at all, or last season wouldn't have happened. What's going on at the moment is pure cowardliness imo, he does have the brains to make a great team out of us - he's already shown that.

Even last season we didnt dominate or dictate games of football. We relied on an individual piece of magic much like tonight from either Ba, Cisse or Ben Arfa.

Piss poor first half from us, it was only when we went 4-3-3 did we start looking good. The whole defense was at fault for their goal, just stood there, did absolutely nothing. Second half wasn't much better in the beginning, as the game went on we were clearly the better. To little to late. Ben Arfa's goal, was a wonder strike, just so beautiful. Good points were Bigi, did very well when he came on, Anita also played well, rather him than Simpson there really. Really don't think Ba and Cisse are gelling at the moment, seem to be in two different minds. Time to take one off I think. Really wish Pardew would stick with 4-3-3, we seem to much of a cohesive unit when we do play. Well any better than a loss I suppose.

He doesn't lack tactically at all, or last season wouldn't have happened. What's going on at the moment is pure cowardliness imo, he does have the brains to make a great team out of us - he's already shown that.

Even last season we didnt dominate or dictate games of football. We relied on an individual piece of magic much like tonight from either Ba, Cisse or Ben Arfa.

So we just fluked 5th by wonder moments from those players...fuck how good our defense was.

The 4-3-3 argument has been done to death but I'm really not sure how anyone can dispute its necessity. It's easy saying "it's not that simple blah blah blah" but once again we looked a lot better once we made the switch. 

We're setting up to not lose games then switching to 4-3-3 as a response if and when it goes tits up. That mentality's not acceptable to me with the players we have, especially at home.

:thup:

We play good football the odd game in seven. Our results otherwise are/were achieved by improbable individual skill from Ba, then Cisse.

Our defensive discipline is generally good, though we are prone to implode on occasion. Our set pieces are horrific, and I genuinely get worried when we win one because I'm more concerned we'll concede on the break from one of OUR attacking set pieces than in open play.

It's Pardew's philosophy to keep things secure at the back, work hard and prepare meticulously for games. Do that and just hope that the stars up front can produce end product. No real work seems to be spent on our fluidity as a team, at least by Pardew - from what was said last season, that's in Carver's remit.

Unfortunately with a minimum of 10 extra games this season we don't have enough depth any more to out-work teams. What's more, with the European matches and overseas travel we're basically losing out on a whole week of preparation for plenty of games as well - so that's out the window too. And with extra games comes extra injuries and niggles, as we've already seen, so the chances of having a settled side also get reduced.

Having not bolstered ourselves in the window with exciting additions the momentum seems to have been lost and the likes of Cabaye, Jonas, Ba and Cisse need not worry about competition for their places. Never mind full-back or central defence we should've been looking for a couple of strikers, wide forwards, wingers or attacking midfielders to keep pressure on what we already have.

As for the formation - is there anyone out there who thinks persisting with 4-4-2 is a good idea when our two strikers can't play together, it restricts our best player (HBA) and our two in midfield get over-ran?

Oh, and with all the fullback options injured the vast majority of the players out there today have no competition for places. They know they're in the side next match no matter what.

Goalkeeper? Nope.

Midfield? Cabaye is guaranteed to start and Tiote's competition is now an 18 year old.

The failure to bring in the players we needed has knock-on effects that have already come into play, days later.

The lack of competition really worries me. The mentality of some of our attackers is bad enough at the moment.

Goalkeeper? Nope.

Midfield? Cabaye is guaranteed to start and Tiote's competition is now an 18 year old.

The lack of competition really worries me. The mentality of some of our attackers is bad enough at the moment.

And that mentality is ?

Goalkeeper? Nope.

And that mentality is ?

Pedestrian. Clearly. ???

People harp on about the shite delivery from our midfielders and full-backs today (it was terrible like), but the lack of urgency in the box was just as bad. Obviously if the ball's smacking the first defender's forehead, you can't really blame the strikers - but it didn't happen every time - and there was no real energy or movement in the box from Ba or Cisse. The Cisse that utterly killed Liverpool with his movement was on another planet today like.

How are our centre backs supposed to score 8 goals when we can't get the ball anywhere near them from corners

This, our corners were dreadful, would prefer just short corners if none of the players can actually take a good one

Goalkeeper? Nope.

And that mentality is ?

Pedestrian. Clearly. ???

People harp on about the s**** delivery from our midfielders and full-backs today (it was terrible like), but the lack of urgency in the box was just as bad. Obviously if the ball's smacking the first defender's forehead every time, you can't really blame the strikers - but it didn't happen every time - and there was no real energy or movement in the box from Ba or Cisse. The Cisse that utterly killed Liverpool with his movement was on another planet today like.

In what what?

*sorry you already answered.

I dont know if its mentality thats the problem, i think Ba and Cisse dont work well together...in a 442 scenario.

Its still early days yet tho.

Awful performance, we played with no heart and no real conviction, Vila simply wanted the game more than us and were lucky to have a player with Ben Arfa's talent to rescue something for us, our two strikers are  really looking bad at the start of this season, they just don't seem up to it as they were last season, the midfield isn't creating much and our crossing is fucking shit..think this team has a lot more potential than what is showing and its up for Pardew to sort this out.

Goalkeeper? Nope.

And that mentality is ?

Pedestrian. Clearly. ???

People harp on about the s**** delivery from our midfielders and full-backs today (it was terrible like), but the lack of urgency in the box was just as bad. Obviously if the ball's smacking the first defender's forehead every time, you can't really blame the strikers - but it didn't happen every time - and there was no real energy or movement in the box from Ba or Cisse. The Cisse that utterly killed Liverpool with his movement was on another planet today like.

In what what?

Eh?

Result was expected. Villa had 0 points going into this game, and worked themselves to victory.

Only real negative from this game I can take is the tactic of Krul hoofing the ball up each and every time. The games so far this season he has played it short to build up attacks most of the time, and im not sure why Pardew thought it would be a good idea to do otherwise in this game.

w***.

Disjointed, lethargic, unbalanced and disorganised. How many more performances like that is it going to take for Pardew to change things? Why wait for it to fail before changing things around?

The team comes first and if that means upsetting Ba by asking him to play wider then so be it. Awful performance and quite lucky to get a point tbph.

spot on :thup:

Goalkeeper? Nope.

And that mentality is ?

Pedestrian. Clearly. ???

In what what?

Eh?

I went back an edited my post.

sorry.  :lol:

Poor performance overall. We struggled for much of the game in the midfield and Cisse looked poor again. Worth mentioning that Guzan was brilliant in goal for them, and as many have said they worked very hard and deserved a point from the game.

Still some positives we can take from the game, Bigirimana was excellent and we looked a lot better when Anita went to right-back. Ben Arfa can win games by himself and if he can stay fit he's going to have one hell of a year. At the end of the day most of us would have taken 4 points from the first three games and Pardew now has time to sort things out over the international break. Slightly concerning display, but certainly no need to panic just yet.

Krul 6

Simpson 5

Taylor 6

Colo 6

Santon 6

Ben Arfa 7

Anita 6.5

Cabaye 5

Jonas 6

Cisse 5

Ba 5

Bigi 7

Marveaux 6

Obertan 6

Goalkeeper? Nope.

Midfield? Cabaye is guaranteed to start and Tiote's competion is now an 18 year old.

we got plenty of option at fullback,  raylor, perch, simpson, fergie, santon, tavernier, anita, even saylor and jonas can play there.  yeh i know not many of them are world class, but we are nowhere near the finance of a top4 side yet.

our midfield is decent enough, with bigi, anita, abeid, marveax, tiote, cabaye , amalfitano, vuckic, hba, jonas, oberdong as a midfield of 5 or 3 combination, these players are decent.

upfront is where we lack strength for a 2 man strike force,  because ba and cisse are too similar.  we just need to utilize the players properly.  with the strikers we got it should be one man up top supported by two wide men either side of him.  why pardew does not like this idea i will never know.