Newcastle United 1 - 1 Aston Villa - 02/09/12 - post-match reaction from page 39

Dave

Only caught the last 20 minutes as I was travelling back from Wales.  Club seems a bit flat at the moment, which is just one of the byproducts of not signing any/many players to create real competition for places in the first team.  It's still bothering me.

Such a bad performance. Sick of this 'style' of football. Just don't think that Ba and Cisse works very well in a 442. Thank god for Ben Arfa, pretty much carrying the team at times.

For about the millionth time, we played 442 for about 20 mins and swiftly changed it. Maybe the players have to be more accountable for some of their lethargic performances.

We played 4-4-2 until Simpson came off, so that would be 38 minutes, pretty much the first half.

We persevered with 2 up top for 90 minutes though, and it didn't work for a fraction of that time.

Krul at the end of the second half, when Santon was in acres of space, hoofing it upfield to Cisse with a clearly bigger, stronger centre-half up his arse. Infuriating.

I thought Cabaye was utter dogshit, and Gutierrez maybe even pipped him in the dogshit stakes. Cisse and Ba might as well have not turned up. In fact, I don't think they did.

Also, Steven Taylor is an absolute nutcase, in case we all needed reminding. :lol:

Disappointing etc. Any time Villa got into the game it seemed to be because we let them, their goal came against the general run of play in the first 20-odd minutes. Ba and Cisse not looking like scoring, both ending up playing with their back to goal a lot with us playing it long, particularly second half. Pardew too late with substitutions imo as well.

Anyway I'll try not to be a misery and tread over points which people probably have well covered before. Santon had a really good game. Anita played very well at right back (I'm not a Simpson-scapegoater but he looked better than him.) Bigirimana grew into the game really well after he came on, a little few shakes aside (made an important block from a Bent shot). Ben Arfa. Hatem. Fucking awesome, by far our best (often only) attacking threat/outlet, even if it got a little "pass to Will" at times. Thank god he's started the season with this form, what with the Dembas looking how they are. When he dragged that shot wide with his right before he scored I remember saying "bit of an odd decision to shoot from there on your weaker foot". Egg in my face. :whistle:

Jonas was my MOTM.  His running and tackling was priceless as they controlled the midfield from the start. His performance allowed Cabaye to hide again.

Anita was a breath of fresh air in that he was a full back who got to their byline a few times. Santon was dangerous early on but was nowhere in the second half.

Thought Bigi would have been even more overwhelmed than he has looked in the past but he was exactly what we needed, a calm head and his block at the end was a point winner.

AND THE AIMLESS HOOFING FROM KRUL HASN'T EVER WORKED. EVER.

Drop Demba for Marveaux at Goodison.

If we go there with our current attitude and line up, we'll get bashed.

I would be up for that actually. Junkhead mentions below that cisse has been more complacent and he has but I would definitely drop Ba before cisse. Having Marv on one side and Ben arfa on the other could be devastating

Jonas was my MOTM.  His running and tackling was priceless as they controlled the midfield from the start. His performance allowed Cabaye to hide again.

Anita was a breath of fresh air in that he was a full back who got to their byline a few times. Santon was dangerous early on but was nowhere in the second half.

Thought Bigi would have been even more overwhelmed than he has looked in the past but he was exactly what we needed, a calm head and his block at the end was a point winner.

Thought Jonas was one of our worst in the first half like. Held onto the ball far longer than he should have and gave it away more often than not.

I think people are being unfair on Villa like, not just here but on Facebook and such too, you'd think they were a fucking League 2 team or something the way people are going on.

They were turgid last year and have started the season (results wise) pretty poorly, but it's a bit early to start labeling them as the Premiership's shittest team.

The game was very end to end. It could easily have gone either way.

I hope Cisse, Ba and Cabaye are up to speed by the Everton game. Ba and Cisse aren't very good at holding the ball up. We could have done with a 20 minute Shola super sub appearance. Hopefully Shola and Tiote will both be back for the Everton game.