Newcastle United 1 - 1 Aston Villa - 02/09/12 - post-match reaction from page 39

Dave

I think people are being unfair on Villa like, not just here but on Facebook and such too, you'd think they were a f***ing League 2 team or something the way people are going on.

They were turgid last year and have started the season (results wise) pretty poorly, but it's a bit early to start labeling them as the Premiership's shittest team.

I thought they pressed us very well early on and we shit ourselves. We couldn't get out our own half at times and sat way too deep.

Forgot to mention Krul's hoofing. At one point all the players were gathered on the right and he belted it to the left for their centre half to deal with.

Cabaye as well, ran around somewhat aimleslly trying to cover all the time, and when we had the ball he wasn't on it anywhere near enough. Should be dictating our passing and controlling the game, instead he was hardly in it. Decent free kick at the end, mind.

Delivery from corners particularly woeful as well, barely remember them clearing the first man, both Cabaye and HBA.

Didn't think Villa looked that bad, although there are a lot of improved teams this season.

Krul at the end of the second half, when Santon was in acres of space, hoofing it upfield to Cisse with a clearly bigger, stronger centre-half up his arse. Infuriating.

And he did it again and again and again.....

Thought the officials were absolutely shocking today. The number of times they allowed their backline to consistently foul without penalty really annoyed me. It's not surprising that Jonas lost his rag and dragged that lad back for his booking as he'd just been blatently fouled twice on the edge of Villa's box. The fact that the bookings came their way in the last ten minutes was a pisstake too.

Having said that it was another disjointed performance from us with seemingly no actual attacking threat apart from Ben Arfa.

Just hoping we are starting slowly like last year.....although I think a few players are playing like they know they're guaranteed a place as long as they're fit. Cabaye, Ba and Cisse appear really complacent and disinterested at the minute. I hope it's just while they're getting up to speed match fitness wise.

All in all, we were basically outclassed by Villa imo (urgh). They pretty much did all the simple things right whilst we kept getting them wrong.

Our set pieces were atrocious, our movement off the ball was basically non-existent and our general all round play was shocking. Again, we did have a better second half compared to the first but ultimately we just didn't have enough about ourselves to really dominate the game. A draw is probably a fair result but Villa will probably wonder how they didn't win. The only bright spot for me was again Ben Arfa - when we needed something special to ignite the game and to pull ourselves up from the dumps, Hatem was there again to oblige yet again :)

The formation issue has been talked about a lot and it is the same argument over and over again so I won't go into it in too much detail. 4-3-3, enough said.

Btw, people have to remember that we're only 3 PL games into the season, it's been a stuttering start but it's still too early to judge on how our season will pan out. Of course, we are faced with a fair few worrying issues atm but in time, I'm sure things will be fine. I'm not too worried yet - we'll hit our stride eventually.

Cabaye is so obviously not fit. Needs dropping until he can get his levels back up. Obertan put in another good shift, let it continue.

Was only on 5 minutes  :lol:

Did the right things again though, I see what he means. Had the beating of his man and looked to cross instead of coming inside and fannying on.

Fuck this, I've tried to be positive and it's ended with me futilely trying to praise a 5-minute Obertan cameo. :suicide:

Dunno if it's just me who thinks this, but the last 20-25 minutes of this game were absolutely desperate for Shola.

Aye. The continual hoofing from Krul would have made sense if he was on the pitch. Ba and Cisse aren't target men at all.

Guest neesy111

Can't believe when he got 'injured' despite Ba not going within about a yard of him.

No doubt it won't be highlighted by any of the media like.

I sent mental, never even went near him.  Was as clear as daylight.

Awful game.

Ba and Cisse clearly can't play together.

Both trying to steal each other's thunder again. Ba was so lethargic, at least Cisse grafts for the ball and looks to pressurize the opposition.

I thought Jonas was poor.

However Anita played well at RB(please play there more often!!!)

And HBA was obviously great. Also a small mention to Santon; he looks a lot stronger this season and he had a canny game :thup:

Just watched the first half, was trying to stay away from the result but when we were getting beat couldn't resist looking. Got to say Villa are bloody awful not to get the win today is a huge disappointment.

I have no idea what the match was like, I didn't see it, I'm only going on what I've read on this thread and a couple of threads on Villa fora.

It sounds like we've at least continued trying to keep the ball and use it.

To be entirely honest, that's all I want from us at the moment, even more than actual results. We'll pick up enough points over the season, but I really, more than anything, want us to continue trying to keep the ball, pass it, work hard and do things properly. It's like an exorcism of bad habits engrained over several years. Houllier started sorting it, but then McLeish took us back four years.

To read you lot moaning about your team, though, honestly, you'd think you were moaning about a team that had spent the last year poking around the arse end of the table, rather than at the top end.

You've had three "meh" performances. You're still a very good team with an exciting mix of talent. Just as the people tipping us to go down with two or three games gone are massively jumping the gun, I can't help but feel there's a certain amount of excessive panic and criticism on here for what is a more than decent team.

To read you lot moaning about your team, though, honestly, you'd think you were moaning about a team that had spent the last year poking around the arse end of the table, rather than at the top end.

You've had three "meh" performances. You're still a very good team with an exciting mix of talent. Just as the people tipping us to go down with two or three games gone are massively jumping the gun, I can't help but feel there's a certain amount of excessive panic and criticism on here for what is a more than decent team.

:clap:

:clap:

Spot on brummie

I think its blow back from the transfer window tbh

Ba and Cisse get in the way of each other too much. We need to play one or the other.

We also need to get hold of the midfield and have players that can influence the play higher up the pitch. At the moment we look shite.

Well if we are another 2 players down then I'd go for this.

Krul

Santon    Taylor  Colo    Fergie

Tiote

Anita      Cabaye      Marveux

Ben Arfa

Ba\Cisse

Edit      oops left Jonas in there