Everton vs Newcastle United - 17/09/12 @ 8pm (Live on Sky)

Beren

With the notable exception of Ben Arfa, our big players have not got going for us. It is early days but Cisse and Cabaye in particular are yet to get going, and Tiote was poor against Spurs as well.

Perhaps this break has come at a welcome time. There is clearly lots to work on. I think Pardew knows his best XI but seems confused on the formation that suits us best. OR he is pandering to player power and putting Ba central to keep him happy. I normally don't bother with unfounded gossip and rumours but reading between the lines of Pardew's pre-season comments about Ba being unhappy out wide and the strange fact we've reverted to 4-4-2 suggests something is up.

We went on a seven game winning run with a 4-3-3 and our efforts to play 4-4-2 have seen us playing very poor football. All the form suggests it's a no-brainer. It would be nice to have options and switch to 4-4-2 when required, but we didn't give ourselves that chance in the transfer window and now it's shut. We don't have the luxury of options and we're trying to play a new system which isn't working. The first half against Villa and the first half against Spurs were awful, we risked losing both games with the 4-4-2. Ben Arfa is too deep and too wide to be effective, Gutierrez does not get the assists and goals an out and out winger should and Cabaye has to track back more without a dedicated DM. The two centre forwards fancy themselves as number 9s, both want to play central and be in or around the box for chances, neither is willing to work the flanks. Both games when it wasn't working we changed it around and got ourselves back in the game with an improved performance, so Pardew must heed the lesson by now.

If fit, I'd go with the following:

------------------Krul-------------

Anita---Taylor----Colo---Santon

-------------Tiote---Cabaye------

Ben Arfa-------------------------Ba

------------------Cisse--------------

I think it is too early to drop Cisse and Ba. There might be an element of complacency after the transfer window saw us bring in no competition for places but I really think our players are struggling to adapt to this system. I'd go back to basics, back to what worked for us before. We played this way in the second half against Spurs when we were the better team and scored twice. I would give Anita a go at right back even if Simpson is fit. He didn't get a thorough test defensively as Villa were poor but he looks much more composed on the ball and seems to give us better width going forward. He actually looked more comfortable there than in centre mid where he was anonymous in the first half up until the switch.

Shake things up, won't happen though.

Krul

Anita          Taylor          Coloccini        Santon

Bigi                Tiote

HBA                    Cabaye                  Marveaux

Ba

I'd do that with Cisse instead of Ba.  Also, I'd be worried about Bigi and Tiote in the same side at the same time.  I'd probably switch out Bigi for Jonas or Amalfitano.

Shake things up, won't happen though.

Krul

Anita          Taylor          Coloccini        Santon

Bigi                Tiote

HBA                    Cabaye                  Marveaux

Ba

Yep, i would go with that!

Me too. Post this to AP please.

Guest firetotheworks

I'd actually advocate a 442 in this match for the first half tbh. Just to keep things rigid and to not allow them too much space out wide.

I'd actually advocate a 442 in this match for the first half tbh. Just to keep things rigid and to not allow them too much space out wide.

Fellaini would have shit tonnes of space inbetween our midfield and defence though and i'd argue space out wide would be the lesser of two evils.

In any case i would trust our midfielders to get and back support if that became a problem. ( the space out wide)

We need to shake off the lethargy that has seemed to blight the team in the first couple of games. Need to go back to pressing teams in midfield and further up the pitch. Cabaye has to lead this charge.

Coloccini may be club captain, but make no mistake of it, Cabaye can be the real captain on the field of play, especially in the opposition half. He can lead by example pressing and harrying and most importantly moving, with or without the ball. This part of his game has been missing completely so far this season, and we desperately need to get it back. It's only my opinion of course, but Cabaye can be the difference here. Hope he turns up.

1-0 Ben Arfa rocket again :pow:

(Think there could be a theme here).

If that happens then Ben Arfa would have scored our 998th, 999th and 1000th premier league goal.

Surely it's destiny  :D

What Simpsons scores it and ends up fucking off in January  :lol:

Krul

Anita          Saylor              Colo      Santon

Tiote              Jonas

HBA              Cabaye          Marv

Ba/Cisse

Would play the two upfront again, i think it will work long term. Should have a point to prove v Everton after the game last season, hopefully Tiote is back. Anita looked class at RB. All depends on us linking the midfield with the strikers.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/09/03/shola-could-be-in-line-to-strike-at-everton-says-pardew-72703-31752034/

Shola could be in line to strike at Everton, says Pardew

by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Sep 3 2012

SHOLA AMEOBI could be thrust back into the picture for Newcastle United’s next game with Everton two weeks tonight.

Alan Pardew is also hoping to have Cheick Tiote back for the trip to Merseyside.

The long-serving striker has been out with a hamstring injury and is yet to feature this term.

However, Ameobi is expected to come back into contention for the encounter with the Toffees at Goodison Park.

United manager Pardew had warned both Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse before yesterday’s game he wanted to see more from them in attack.

Yet Newcastle had to rely on Hatem Ben Arfa’s wonder strike to steal a point from fourth-bottom Aston Villa.

Pardew, though, felt Tiote was the missing link against Villa.

With Ameobi due back, he is hoping for a double boost at Goodison Park.

He told the Chronicle: “Shola has a good chance and I am hoping Cheick has also.

“We have two weeks to get him right. That is what we hope to do, get him fit and strong.

“That was Cheick’s game against Villa and we missed him like nobody else.

“There were a lot of midfielders there and he would have bashed a few of them up.

“That is what we needed to do.”

Pardew lost Danny Simpson to a hamstring problem in the first half against Villa.

He believes the full-back may not be involved at Everton.

The manager added: “I don’t think Danny will make that game.

“Vurnon Anita was brought here for his versatility and I thought he was terrific.

“He went to right-back and was terrific. He grabbed it by the horns and looked comfortable all game.”

Many fans spent the aftermath of deadline day debating whether the Toon squad to see Newcastle through until January was strong enough.

Pardew, though, feels injuries are simply part of the game.

He said: “We still have Fergie and Sammy to come back.

“We have three right-backs here. How many right-backs do we need?

“Swansea lost their left-back on Saturday and it is a bigger blow for them than us losing Ryan, with all due respect to Ryan.

“This is what big clubs are all about. We have to adapt.”

Meanwhile, Pardew confirmed Tiote would not be travelling with the Ivory Coast for their crucial Africa Cup of Nations qualifier with Senegal.

Sounds like Anita could seriously be considered at full back.

Also, as silly as this feels to say, Shola will be a massive (literally) option from the bench. Really think the sub role he took on last season was fantastic, a real beast to bring on and bully tired legs, keep possession in the oppositions half and grab the odd goal.