Jobi McAnuff is he right ?

samag

The league is too terrified of not attracting the 'stars' to ever implement any meaningful wage cap, but absolutely. Football still seems to living in a bubble with huge money sloshing around despite the climate, it'll catch up some time, and clubs need to reign in the spending to prevent more implosions like Portsmouths.

Not going to happen though, the logic is, more money and high wages = better football = more fans = more money etc etc. Won't and can't last though.

He's right but a wage cap is not really enforceable so it's a bit pointless talking about it.

Also I don't begrudge people like Lionel Messi making similar money to the likes of Tiger Woods, Rafael Nadal and even the likes of Brad Pitt and Kanye West since he's at the top of his field and one of the best entertainers in the world.  Unfortunately it's a sliding scale from there and you see average players getting £60k+/week.

He's right but a wage cap is not really enforceable so it's a bit pointless talking about it.

Also I don't begrudge people like Lionel Messi making similar money to the likes of Tiger Woods, Rafael Nadal and even the likes of Brad Pitt and Kanye West since he's at the top of his field and one of the best entertainers in the world.  Unfortunately it's a sliding scale from there and you see average players getting £60k+/week.

Aye that's it for me. When you listen to what Brummie says about some of the wages mediocrity was getting paid at Aston Villa under O'Neill. That's a massive problem in my eyes.

I just wish we understood more about the intentions of Financial Fair Play, as to me it looks like nothing is going to be done about it.

Guest bimpy474

Not illegal to have a team salary cap (same as Rugby League have) but that has to come from the FA and the Premier League, never going to happen though.

I remember pardew saying that a load of the players we went on to release from the reserve squad 'thought they'd made it but were miles away'. It's when clubs are paying players who haven't achieved anything enough that they feel comfortable and think they've been a success already somethings gone wrong.

And then there's the issue of cost of going to games etc, the amount of money spent on clubs then to go towards funding obscene spending all seems bit distasteful

Whilst he's a chronic bell end, I did like Brendan Rodgers telling Raheem Sterling's agent not to bother trying to renegotiate  his contract because he'd been called up to the England squad.

Thats my biggest gripe tbh, young players having a handful of decent games and thinking they've made it. The whole earn your stripes, live in a boarding house and clean the seniors boots ideals are long gone, too many kids in football want the footballer lifestyle ahead of the football. Our own chief clown Nile Ranger being a good example.

The league is too terrified of not attracting the 'stars' to ever implement any meaningful wage cap, but absolutely. Football still seems to living in a bubble with huge money sloshing around despite the climate, it'll catch up some time, and clubs need to reign in the spending to prevent more implosions like Portsmouths.

Not going to happen though, the logic is, more money and high wages = better football = more fans = more money etc etc. Won't and can't last though.

On the contrary, with a monstrous upcoming increase in television money, it's hard to see an end to it at the moment.

Yeah, the wages will keep going up.

More and more money is coming the Premier League's way via TV and merchandise revenue.  Matchday revenue is becoming a smaller and smaller proportion of the overall revenue of the average Premier League football club.  But this extra money just goes into the pockets of players and wages and the ticket prices keep creeping up.  And at the same time the TV revenue becomes more important to the clubs than matchday revenue, so the fans pay more yet get fucked about more on match times, games getting shifted around at short notice, etc.  It's annoying but it'll continue down that road.

The thing is that if everyone decided they were fed up with it and packed in going to games then there would be no product for the Premier League to sell, as who the fuck (in this country or otherwise) wants to watch matches with hardly any atmosphere?  It'll never get to that though, football will always be popular.

its hard to argue anyone deserves  the kind of wage a week that some get but however looking at it from the players point of view is that each clubs revenue in the premier league is large, the TV contract alone brings in ridiculous amounts of guaranteed cash without the clubs having to really do anything other than show up never mind the other sources of income and the players can argue quite correctly they're the stars of the show so why shouldn't we get our fair slice of the cash, of coarse many get more than their fair slice and some don't deserve a single penny (Nile Ranger, the poster boy for idiotic waste of space footballer).

A salary cap isn't the worst idea however realistically for it to work it would have to be a set % of a clubs revenue (60% is the commonly cited ideal i think) and theres no hope of the FA or Premier League implementing it unless its a Europe wide inicitive since the easy excuse of "we need to stay competitive in the champions league and keep up with real and barca for the global audience blah blah blah" can be trotted out

its hard to argue anyone deserves  the kind of wage a week that some get but however looking at it from the players point of view is that each clubs revenue in the premier league is large, the TV contract alone brings in ridiculous amounts of guaranteed cash without the clubs having to really do anything other than show up never mind the other sources of income and the players can argue quite correctly they're the stars of the show so why shouldn't we get our fair slice of the cash, of coarse many get more than their fair slice and some don't deserve a single penny (Nile Ranger, the poster boy for idiotic waste of space footballer).

A salary cap isn't the worst idea however realistically for it to work it would have to be a set % of a clubs revenue (60% is the commonly cited ideal i think) and theres no hope of the FA or Premier League implementing it unless its a Europe wide inicitive since the easy excuse of "we need to stay competitive in the champions league and keep up with real and barca for the global audience blah blah blah" can be trotted out

The problem with that is the super rich clubs (Man City, Chelsea, PSG) will create "extra revenue" such as Man City's ludicrous stadium sponsorship deal to stay ahead of the competition.

Problem is the FA, the PL and all the other in postions of power are self-serving. For 20 years now there has been talk of getting money out to the far reaches of the game and what have they done? Built a big fuck off training complex as if the country isn't filled with them already.

If there's more money coming into the game it's only right that the players rather than the fat cats get it because that's who the TV companies are paying to see at the end of the day.

Would be even better if it was balanced out by cheaper tickets too.

This exactly.  My main gripe is the fact that clubs don't see this as an opportunity to lower or freeze prices.

On the contrary, with a monstrous upcoming increase in television money, it's hard to see an end to it at the moment.

Aye short term, I'm worried more long term, in 10 years time etc, or maybe the economy will have all recovered by then and it'll have ridden it out somehow

If there's more money coming into the game it's only right that the players rather than the fat cats get it because that's who the TV companies are paying to see at the end of the day.

Would be even better if it was balanced out by cheaper tickets too.

Exactly. Giving players less money would just equate to the Chairmen and shareholders pocketing the "savings".

I still think the music and film industry are worse when it comes to undeserving people getting ridiculously rich quickly. There should be a wage cap on X-Factor winners for example, as they're simply glorified karaoke singers who'll go on (if they win) to sing songs written by others with the actual talent (and probably better singing ability). Or to look at it another way: Justin Bieber is worth more than Lionel Messi. As for movies, Shia Lebouf is worth $30m. His career will probably last until he dies as he's a Disney kid who is being managed well and already has his legion of fans, so he could easily earn $300m over his entire acting career - probably double what Messi will get. Kristen Stewart, the Twilight girl with one facial expression, is already worth $60m. Emma Watson $70m, Daniel Ratcliffe $100m, even though neither of them can act for toffee. But yes, lets pick on footballers because "all they do is kick a ball around".

I don't disagree but as money floods into the league from TV would be nice to see this passed on to reducing the cost of seeing football in person, rather than year on year increases against a backdrop of everyone having less money. Equally I think the availability of big wages to even bit part players can have a detrimental effect on their attitude.

Indeed - all people in the entertainment/sports world are overpaid.  Footballers are no different to actors, singers, NBA stars, F1 drivers, golfers etc.

Golfers I would perhaps disagree with. If they don't play well and make cuts etc, they don't earn the big money.

Once you get to the level of Tiger, Luke etc, you've played consistently well enough to justify your share of the money in the sport.