How highly do you rate... Robert Pires?

Beren

Disagreed he has been fantastic for Man United, but he has I think been held back by his poor mental strength which detracts from the consistency you expect of the best players in the world.

I think the other trouble is he is a very good jack of trades, but maybe not the best in the world at any one. Which makes him among the best strikers in the world definately, but I don't think you often see a goal of his and think "how on earth did he do that", whereas that's week in week out for messi, ronaldo, falcao, ben arfa :p

Guest neesy111

Rooney on talent should be in top 3 players in the world, he's probably the best talent England's ever had IMO and has went missing far too much for them with how he started his international career.

Agreed on his consistency.

Not entirely surprised that people are underrating Rooney this much, like. The guy's a phenomenal footballer, whatever you think of him.

Still achieved little from the talent he has IMO.

:lol: Hmm.

Honours

Club

Manchester United

Premier League (4): 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11

Football League Cup (2): 2005–06, 2009–10

FA Community Shield (3): 2007, 2010, 2011

UEFA Champions League (1): 2007–08

FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2008

Individual

PFA Players' Player of the Year (1): 2009–10

PFA Young Player of the Year (2): 2004–05, 2005–06

PFA Fans' Player of the Year (2): 2005–06, 2009–10

PFA Premier League Team of the Year (3): 2005–06, 2009–10, 2011–12

FWA Footballer of the Year (1): 2009–10

Goal of the Season (3): 2004–05, 2006–07, 2010–11

Goal of the Month (6): October 2003, January 2005, April 2005, January 2007, March 2007, February 2011

Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year (2): 2005–06, 2009–10

BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year (1): 2002

Bravo Award (1): 2003

UEFA Euro 2004 Team of the Tournament

FIFPro World Young Player of the Year (1): 2004–05

Premier League Player of the Month (5): February 2005, December 2005, March 2006, October 2007, January 2010

Barclays Player of the Year (1): 2009–10

Premier League 20 Seasons Awards (1992–93 to 2011–12):

Best Goal (vs. Manchester City, 12 February 2011)

FIFA Club World Cup Golden Ball (1): 2008

England Player of the Year (2): 2008, 2009

Golden Boot Landmark Award 20 (1): 2009–10

FIFA/FIFPro World XI (1): 2011

Plus 32 goals in 78 caps for England, and 200 club goals by the age of 27.  I don't enjoy watching him as much as when he first came on the scene but howay.

Catts for me Like

Personally think Rooney is overrated by many, his long passing is unbelievable and the closest to Scholes in the league, he has a great football brain, is great at little chips and through balls. He's also superb in the air. In spite of this, I don't think he's a really natural finisher, he doesn't strike the ball cleanly as much as he should. He can't beat a man anymore, struggles to find as much space as he used to and his first touch can be shockingly bad. Think he'll be at his best again when he plays in a more withdrawn Scholes role long-tern

Rooney on talent should be in top 3 players in the world, he's probably the best talent England's ever had IMO and has went missing far too much for them with how he started his international career.

Agreed on his consistency.

Not for me like.

I guess we should have Rooney next.

But as this is a Beardsley one...

:aww: to Benny for this.

Ben Arfa speaking about him in today's Chronicle:

With a smile the Frenchman said: “When I first came here, we were training and Peter Beardsley joined in.

“I said to him ‘You are a very good player’.

“Then a few people told me about him.

“I went home and typed his name into You Tube and I was amazed at how good he was – he was amazing.

“Maybe I shouldn’t be surprised that he is still amazing at 51!

“He’s a big player and I would like to be like him.”

:love:

I remember that goal against Spurs (A) when he returned from that shocking check bone injury from Neil Ruddick.

He ran from the half way line with the ball, dropped a couple of shoulders, a bit of a faint then a bit of a shimmy, then smashed it past their keeper.  Toon win 1-2.  I think it was in the last minute as well.

It was, last minute. I recall eating/ drinking some Heinz Tomato soup at the time, listening to the radio and spluttered it everywhere celebrating the goal.

I remember that goal against Spurs (A) when he returned from that shocking check bone injury from Neil Ruddick.

He ran from the half way line with the ball, dropped a couple of shoulders, a bit of a faint then a bit of a shimmy, then smashed it past their keeper.  Toon win 1-2.  I think it was in the last minute as well.

Aye,. last kick after Spurs had battered us second half.,.,.,I was at that game.,

Guest Howaythetoon

Easily the best footballer I've seen in our colors. He would walk into any side in the Premier League and god knows how much he'd be worth or would cost in today's market. I might get lambasted for this but he was better than Rooney and van Persie, although they are different footballers. Think of Ben Arfa at his best and what he can do and that was Beardsley but he did it on a consistent basis for whoever he played for and at all levels. He had amazingly quick feet matched only by an ever quicker brain and he was genuinely two footed. He was also a genuine goal threat both inside and outside of the box and he wasn't bad in the air either. He could dribble for fun and even his crossing was of a high standard. He was just an exceptionally good all-round footballer with an amazing work ethic and professionalism. And boy could he tackle. Will we ever see a better partnership than he and Cole? Shame he is such a gobshite of a man mind. Great player though and a Toon legend.

Guest Stephen927

I think for the pressure that was on his shoulders, Rooney has done very well. He hasn't always handled it well, particularly for England, but the rest of the team haven't been up to scratch and he can't always be expected to lift teams on his own, it's a very big ask.

He's carved himself out a very good, respectable career thus far.

Guest Howaythetoon

Rooney is an amazing footballer who has had an amazing career. However, he hasn't and never will fulfill that amazing potential he had when he was at Everton which could have seen him become one of the very best. As it is he will go down as one of our country's better players who was also at the time one of the best in the world, rather than someone who will be remembered as an all-time great universally. Unless of course he wins the World Cup with England, I don't even think he will go down as one of the greatest in our own game even.

I think the move to Man Utd has made him a very effective club player but knocked out that raw and exciting flair he had when at Everton. He could beat a player for fun but now he can't. He's still a top player but he's becoming less of a top-player with every season.

Ste makes a good point about pressure, certainly at international level. A lot is expected of him even now despite never living upto any expectations. But that's the English mentality, on the stands and in the media. We do like to build our players up and do expect too much at times.

The best player I've seen in a black and white shirt in the 35 years I've watched the lads.

Its such a shame we missed out on his best years. Some of the stuff he did at Liverpool and Everton was unreal.

if he had one failing it's that he never really translated his domestic form to the national stage, for all he played well for england, particularly in mexico he still held back, laid balls off when you know in division 1 he'd have shot or took the man on.

pissed off when he applauded the kop before he signed for them but came back an even better player than the one that left, a player who made you stand when he got the ball in the way ginola, robert did and ben arfa does, not just because they'd beat their man, gillespie could do that, but the way they could do it had that bit extra..............obviously!

if he had one failing it's that he never really translated his domestic form to the national stage, for all he played well for england, particularly in mexico he still held back, laid balls off when you know in division 1 he'd have shot or took the man on.

p*ssed off when he applauded the kop before he signed for them but came back an even better player than the one that left, a player who made you stand when he got the ball in the way ginola, robert did and ben arfa does, not just because they'd beat their man, gillespie could do that, but the way they could do it had that bit extra..............obviously!

Gary Lineker only played with Beardsley for England and claimed that Beardsley was the best partner he'd ever played with.

p*ssed off when he applauded the kop before he signed for them but came back an even better player than the one that left, a player who made you stand when he got the ball in the way ginola, robert did and ben arfa does, not just because they'd beat their man, gillespie could do that, but the way they could do it had that bit extra..............obviously!

Gary Lineker only played with Beardsley for England and claimed that Beardsley was the best partner he'd ever played with.

he never played with him domestically either.

Guest Geordiesned

Simply the best player I've seen play for us in 32 years of watching. I'd Ginola was more naturally gifted but Pedro worked so hard at his game and undoubtedly learnt from the likes of Keegan.

Scored some outstanding goals and I feel privileged to have been in attendance when he scored the last minute gems against Palace and Spurs.

Guest Wally_McFool

Alongside Tony Green, Beardsley is the best player I have seen playing for Newcastle.

Beardsley would probably get the vote if I had to choose one seeing as he played a lot more than Tony Green.

Gazza, Jinky Jim and Benny are also well up there in my list.