How highly do you rate... Robert Pires?

Beren

The only NUFC player who skill wise was close to Beardsley was the great Tony Green, who only played 33 times and had to retire at 25 after being brutalised for the ennium time by some nameless thug playing against Palace I think. Same kind of balance and the ability to dribble his way through a team. Ben Arfa is the nearest we've had to these kind of players for probably the last 30 years.

Guest firetotheworks

Peter Beardsley? The best player that I've seen play for us. As simple as that. An utterly astounding talent.

It's sad how few top players stay with clubs for a long time these days. Ben Arfa has enough talent to be as revered as highly as Pedro but he'll probably not be here long enough to gain the same legendary status.

Beardsley and Cole has to be the best strike partnership in Prem history.

Ben Arfa won't achieve the same as Pedro if he's played out wide in a 4-4-2. During small spells he has recreated the kind of form Beardsley did - scoring, assisting, playmaking, wonderful dribbles and skills every game. Hopefully he can get back to that but I think the team needs to change and Pardew needs to show some real vision beyond the day to day practicalities he usually concentrates on.

Beardsley and Cole has to be the best strike partnership in Prem history.

Ben Arfa won't achieve the same as Pedro if he's played out wide in a 4-4-2. During small spells he has recreated the kind of form Beardsley did - scoring, assisting, playmaking, wonderful dribbles and skills every game. Hopefully he can get back to that but I think the team needs to change and Pardew needs to show some real vision beyond the day to day practicalities he usually concentrates on.

I watched a bit of Beardsley earlier and it's amazing how much of him I see in Ben arfa and I never thought that I would ever see anything like Beardsley at Newcastle again.

Guest firetotheworks

Arshavin when he had that shit-hot few months that time is the only player I've seen that reminds me of Beardsley.

Arshavin when he had that s***-hot few months that time is the only player I've seen that reminds me of Beardsley.

Watch the power Beardsley can get out of a snap shot at close range, Ben Arfa does exactly the same.  In a blink of an eye the ball's in the net.  It's like "is he going to try and, s***, it's in the net."  With both of them you are just starting to wonder what they are going to do and they've already done it before you've got through your thought process, with both players the reaction speed is amazing and few players can react with such speed.

Guest firetotheworks

Arshavin when he had that s***-hot few months that time is the only player I've seen that reminds me of Beardsley.

You meaning the dribbling style? They have the same particular little shuffle with the ball.

Aye, how the both have that kind of portly, shuffling style. Beardsley's much better of course.

When he, KK and Waddle were all on their game the old 2nd Div hadn't seen anything like it; neither had we. we'd been served shit for years and then bam, we had players capable of ridiculous things.

Funny thing about Pedro was that everyone knew he was going to do his feign and go the other way but even at 36 or so nobody could stop it.

On a side note, he is God Father to my step son though we have only bumped into him outside the ground since ive been around though Ronnie has been to the house a few times.

Guest firetotheworks

Thought there might be more debate over him and Rooney. So, two questions:

Who in the Premiership era has been better than him? What weaknesses did he have to his game, if any?

Slide tackles and misplaced passes. They were rare, but when he lost it he'd always get back to get the ball and sometimes give away a freekick. By sometimes, I mean like 4 times in about 5 years.

A great player who was the key figure in transforming a newly promoted side into title contenders.

Definitely in my NUFC top five. Rooney is better IMO, but of England strikers of that type, he'd be number 2.