How highly do you rate... Robert Pires?

Beren

Never knew NUFC tried to sign Keane. Learn something new every day. I'm well aware of us trying to sign Shearer though, numerous times.

Commendable loyalty, but man I would have loved Alan Shearer at us.

We ended up with Rob Lee so all wasn't too bad as he was a fucking star for us. KK wanted Keane to be our box to box midfielder. I'm sure he once said one of his biggest regrets as NUFC manager when it comes to signing players was not getting to chat with Keane as he reckons he would have convinced him to come here. Mind, he also said the same about Henry who we were after, him and Pires, apparently. Back then it was hard to believe anything. We once sent a team over to Juventus, true story, to buy Baggio, on KK's orders. Fletcher, Shepherd and Douglass Hall all went over I think to try and pull off what would have been a major coup. Juventus' people kept them waiting in some room while they pissed themselves laughing. We came home empty handed :(

Those were exciting days mind because with KK in the form he was, he could have talked anyone into joining us. He convinced Rob Lee we were closer to London than Middlesbrough, told SJH that Beardsley was only 30 and not 32 and that if we didn't buy him the mackems would, and of course he sweet talked 1000 plus angry Geordies into accepting the sale of Cole to your lot.

I don't think Cole and Shearer would have worked mind, not the Shearer we bought. Now Sheringham and Shearer... bingo!

And Ronaldo... you can't be serious!

What next, you sometimes wish we had of kept Ardilles and not appointed KK or how about Quinn over Cole?! :lol:

They took the owner of The Godfather restaurant over to Italy with them to help with the language.

Thanks Beren for heeding my thoughts.

Roy Keane... I must admit I wasn't aware of how good he was until 1998 or 1999. Before then I thought he was back up to Nicky Butt. But then again I was 13 at the time. Since then he has established himself as a top player in my mind, the real leader of Man Utd on the pitch and there is no doubt that they miss him still.

Thanks Beren for heeding my thoughts.

Roy Keane... I must admit I wasn't aware of how good he was until 1998 or 1999. Before then I thought he was back up to Nicky Butt. But then again I was 13 at the time. Since then he has established himself as a top player in my mind, the real leader of Man Utd on the pitch and there is no doubt that they miss him still.

:lol: I was about the same age, how the hell did you manage that man FFS?

One thing about Roy Keane, I remember the fuss made when he was the first player ever to be given a £60k a week contract, which was probably about £20k a week more than the nearest challenger at the time.  None of the arguments were ability-related mind, and quite a few journalists argued that if any player was worth that sort of money, Keane was.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sites/default/files/imagecache/ts_magazine_big_picture/1226086.jpg

Maybe the most technically gifted Englishmen I've ever seen. Perhaps England aren't as spoilt for choice as other countries, but still.

He moved like a ballerina, and could run through a minefield of players with grace and finesse, with his low centre of gravity and excellent balance. Could use both feet brilliantly, had an eye for a pass and scored some fantastic goals.

Also, had a godawful haircut.

Just how good was he? He'd walk into this England team no problem, that much is easy enough to know :laugh:

heard a story, when him and rob Lee were on the same side in training nobody playing them could get a touch of the ball.

Considering what i saw week in week out i believe that story.

He's one of the greatest players i have ever seen ( biased) was not just talented but hard working and consistent too.

Messi actually reminds me a lot of him in style, the mere fact Heskey has more England caps them him is a joke.

Incredibly underrated outside of England too, while Shearer will always be my favourite Pedro is still to this day by far the best player i have seen play for us and it will take one special player to surpass him.

Also sod England he would walk into the majority of national teams, was a treat watching him growing up and quite frankly he is what football meant to me as a kid.

Rooney's got to be top tier, man. In spite of what you think of him as a bloke.

If you put Rooney in the top, then PB has to, cos he was as good, if not better.

http://imgur.com/tCp90.gif

Best nufc player I've seen since I went to my first game in 1972. I base that on his clever assists, skills to beat a player, goals tally but mostly because he was a great team player who always gave his all. It was sad to see him leave for Liverpool but understandable from his need to have a chance of winning honours. The season he had up front at Liverpool with Aldridge and Barnes was unforgettable, I'm glad he got his medals. When he came back I thought Keegan had made a mistake as he'd just had a so-so season with Everton but he kicked us on to a new level - Andy Cole doesn't get all those goals without him.

For the record ( correct my memory if wrong) I saw his debut as a sub away to Barnsley in 198? and you could tell straight away he was going to be special. Goal away at Portsmouth that season is my favourite - had an open goal having gone round the keeper and still through another dummy to beast a last lunge and walk the ball into the net.

Not sure if our favourite video hosting site has it, but there have been some incredible compilations for Pedro. Wondergoal after wondergoal.

HBA needs about 50 more wondergoals to catch up! :razz:

Morpeth- 83.

Was man city at home 5-0 his home debut- with a hatrick?

Any younger members watch that on youtube, fantastic. and his goal in the 3-1 win against brighton 84- when we were promoted. :smug:

Not sure if our favourite video hosting site has it, but there have been some incredible compilations for Pedro. Wondergoal after wondergoal.

HBA needs about 50 more wondergoals to catch up! :razz:

Peter did many times , what HBA is showing the potential to do.

Guest palnese

Only heard tales about him, and only ever watched him when he was quite old and I quite young.. My father loved him as a player.

Shook his hand outside the ground in the 2008 Derby at SJP.