How highly do you rate... Robert Pires?

Beren

Oliver Kahn wouldn't get in the top 10 keepers of all time tbh.

Tell me the 10 then.

Shilton

Banks

Schmeichel

Yashin

Zubizaretta

Arconada

Maier

Clemence

Zoff

Van der Sar

Casillas

Seaman = Kahn

There's others such as Grosics, Viktor, Mazurkiewicz but I haven't seen enough of them to place them.

Buffon surely.

Kahn got Germany into the WC final almost completely by his own, saved 3 penalties against Valencia in the CL final 2001, won 3 times the world's goalkeeper of the year award, won the golden ball as the only keeper at the WC 2002... the list goes on and on.

It's not that I would normally back (former) Bayern players but he was in a class of his own - just go and watch some videos of him. Some performances were just not from this world - and he did that for around 12 (not counting the first 2) consecutive years for Bayern.

Chilavert is your archetypal South American nutcase like.

:lol: Does seem a bit mental. For no real reason, I've always thought of Chilavert as being the superior keeper.

Ceni has played over 1000 games? :yikes:

Just like the force, Chilavert also had a dark side and was never far from trouble. He missed the opening two group matches of the 2002 World Cup through suspension after being sent off for spitting at Roberto Carlos during the qualifier with Brazil.

In a busy career he also managed to find time to punch Tino Asprilla and Diego Maradona as well as a steward, all of which landed him in hot water. He was in even hotter water in 2005 when he received a six month suspended sentence in France for the use of false documents about the compensation for the end of his contract with Racing Club de Strasbourg.

Roberto Carlos is giving a TV interview at the time of the spit n all :lol:

Met Chilavert in a shopping mall in Strasbourg many years ago.  Me and my dad stopped to talk to him, extremely nice guy who took his time and spoke to us for quite a bit. Seemed like a genuinely nice man. Still cant get my head around at how nice he was considering he was an absolute 'loco' on the field.

Guest Howaythetoon

Zidane had something that few possess, even the likes of Messi and the current Ronaldo. He possessed a natural grace about his game that perhaps only Maradona from the players I've seen, had. Messi is obviously the best player the game has seen since Maradona and some would argue of all-time, and Ronaldo is just a machine, but neither has the grace and finesse if you like of Zidane who was a truly glorious player to watch whenhe wasn't doing anything much. Ronaldo's stepovers and tricks are great and all, but Zidane could beat a man just by dropping his shoulder or by side stepping the ball, all with ease and that grace that made him stand out.

By the way, in full flight, Thierry Henry had that same kind of grace and finesse. He too was another beautiful player to watch. Gazza had that way of moving the ball and beating his man like Zidane without the need for stepovers, tricks and flicks etc. ala Ronaldo and Ronaldinho. Messi can do it was well due to his incredible quick feet, speed of thought and movement all in one.

Back to Zidane... call me crazy but I'd pick him for my team ahead of Messis and Ronaldo and for me he ranks as the best footballer I've ever seen live. There has been no-one like him in the game since and probably never will be.

Kaka threatened but he for me was always the Brazilian Lampard with a bit more flair.

Guest firetotheworks

Zidane had something that few possess, even the likes of Messi and the current Ronaldo. He possessed a natural grace about his game that perhaps only Maradona from the players I've seen, had. Messi is obviously the best player the game has seen since Maradona and some would argue of all-time, and Ronaldo is just a machine, but neither has the grace and finesse if you like of Zidane who was a truly glorious player to watch whenhe wasn't doing anything much. Ronaldo's stepovers and tricks are great and all, but Zidane could beat a man just by dropping his shoulder or by side stepping the ball, all with ease and that grace that made him stand out.

By the way, in full flight, Thierry Henry had that same kind of grace and finesse. He too was another beautiful player to watch. Gazza had that way of moving the ball and beating his man like Zidane without the need for stepovers, tricks and flicks etc. ala Ronaldo and Ronaldinho. Messi can do it was well due to his incredible quick feet, speed of thought and movement all in one.

Back to Zidane... call me crazy but I'd pick him for my team ahead of Messis and Ronaldo and for me he ranks as the best footballer I've ever seen live. There has been no-one like him in the game since and probably never will be.

Kaka threatened but he for me was always the Brazilian Lampard with a bit more flair.

You're crazy.

Tell me the 10 then.

Shilton

Banks

Schmeichel

Yashin

Zubizaretta

Arconada

Maier

Clemence

Zoff

Van der Sar

Casillas

Seaman = Kahn

There's others such as Grosics, Viktor, Mazurkiewicz but I haven't seen enough of them to place them.

Buffon surely.

Buffon too yes.

Tell me the 10 then.

Shilton

Banks

Schmeichel

Yashin

Zubizaretta

Arconada

Maier

Clemence

Zoff

Van der Sar

Casillas

Seaman = Kahn

To say that someone like Zubizaretta was better than Kahn is surely just a joke. It has to be. :lol:

No. Rating of Kahn as the best all time keeper is though. :lol: He isn't even the best German keeper of all time.

That comment has left me incredulous. Nothing against Lampard as he's always done what he's done to the highest standard and you know what you're going to get from him.

Technique and natural ability wise Kaka was on a different level to him. He was a fantastic playmaker before injuries took their toll. A completely different player to Lampard as well in all honesty.

Can I nominate Michael Ballack btw? In his Bayern and Leverkusen days I always thought that he was a brilliant player, yet when he signed for Chelsea they didn't really need him as they still had Lampard, so Ballack was often shoe-horned into the side which at times left them looking really unbalanced. I think when he was the main man at Bayern and for Leverkusen he was a better player than Lampard, but Chelsea really didn't need him at all.

Iniesta is the closet to Zidane in terms of style from this generation.

Iniesta's close control, dribbling, passing and link up play is better than Zidane's.  He's also eclipsed him in terms of domestic and international tournaments.

What I loved about Zidane though was his ability to hold off players with such ease whilst playing so gracefully, he did make football look like an art.  The cliche about Zidane having an aura about him is true, but he just didn't do it consistently enough throughout a season.  Although when he did show up in big games he looked a class above anyone else in the world.

He only won La Liga once in his 5 years there during a galactico era.  Only won the champions league once aswell.  He didn't carry a great team onto greatness like Xavi, Iniesta or even Ronaldinho have.

:lol:

Another one for the HTT scrapbook.

5 years ago Kaka was the best player in the world and single handedly won Milan the champions league.  It's an insult to put him in the same bracket as Lampard.

Iniesta's close control, dribbling, passing and link up play is better than Zidane's.  He's also eclipsed him in terms of domestic and international tournaments.

What I loved about Zidane though was his ability to hold off players with such ease whilst playing so gracefully, he did make football look like an art.  The cliche about Zidane having an aura about him is true, but he just didn't do it consistently enough throughout a season.  Although when he did show up in big games he looked a class above anyone else in the world.

He only won La Liga once in his 5 years there during a galactico era.  Only won the champions league once aswell.  He didn't carry a great team onto greatness like Xavi, Iniesta or even Ronaldinho have.

Although i think Zidane's close control was better I'll be one of the few on here that will agree with you in the main with that post  :lol:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t282/mystro07/tumblr_llx6fbXEwT1qids3m.gif

Zidane never played in a team as good as the Guardiola Barca team.  Put a peak Zidane in that team and who knows.

I'd personally be interested to hear what people think about Jari Litmanen.

Damn! I already nominated Litmanen once :D

Xavi, Iniesta and the whole Barca team has been great, its not like someone has carried the team there.