How highly do you rate... Robert Pires?

Beren

More than 100 England caps.  Goals at several major international tournaments.

National captain.

A CL winner. 

Multiple league winner.

Player for MU, AC, RM and now PSG.

A world class number of assists in his career.

Scorer of several brilliant goals.

Compared to most of the other greats of the game he had a comparatively limited set of tools, but he's one of the best I've ever seen at taking what he did have at his disposal and using it to its absolute maximum.

Top pro, top athlete and a great attitude to boot. Not as technically gifted as the better players around in his prime, but he was priceless to the teams he was in for his ability from a dead ball. His work rate was phenomenal too.

Top-class player. Of course he was a bit overrated...he was English and wildly talented. The world's most famous player of the past 15 years. But unlike many, he embraced and thrived in the spotlight.

And I still don't think there's a better striker of the dead ball in the world. He can still hit 'em as well as anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Joined the wrong club and as such not fulfilled his potential. Needs to go somewhere where he can be the main man, still a very good player.

Can't disagree with that.

He seems to have lost that bit of flair he had at OL n all.

Joined the wrong club and as such not fulfilled his potential. Needs to go somewhere where he can be the main man, still a very good player.

:thup: On his day he has all of the attributes required to be the absolute best, but being at Real Madrid has meant he hasn't shown it often enough.

Agree 100% with Sewelly.

Not as good as I thought he was a few years ago. Past year or 2 when I've seen him play he's been more often than not very disappointing.

Could this be because he's not the focal point of attack(Ronaldo is) despite showing on the graphics he is?

He's more of an AM for Madrid which is shown by the fact he has 35 assists in the last 2 seasons.

Actually 52 goals an 35 assists in two seasons aint bad at all considering  :laugh:

Goals and assists per minute last season of numerous major players across Europe: (taken from redcafe)

http://s14.directupload.net/images/130601/ympys28q.png

Shows that even with fleeting appearances he makes a good impact.

Don't rate him very high tbh. He can't carry a team and on a bad day he's just a hinderence up front.

Think he's been lucky to be in a good side as Real Madrid because put him into poorer team he won't score many goals.

Compare him to Berbatov for example, who moved to Fulham and still can rule the game on some days.

Agree 100% with Sewelly.

Not as good as I thought he was a few years ago. Past year or 2 when I've seen him play he's been more often than not very disappointing.

Could this be because he's not the focal point of attack(Ronaldo is) despite showing on the graphics he is?

He's more of an AM for Madrid which is shown by the fact he has 35 assists in the last 2 seasons.

Actually 52 goals an 35 assists in two seasons aint bad at all considering  :laugh:

I'm not disagreeing with you. :lol: He seemed to play ridiculously deep for France as well at the Euros. Very often picking the ball up in the centre of midfield.

Don't rate him very high tbh. He can't carry a team and on a bad day he's just a hinderence up front.

Think he's been lucky to be in a good side as Real Madrid because put him into poorer team he won't score many goals.

Compare him to Berbatov for example, who moved to Fulham and still can rule the game on some days.

That's the thing, watch him play carefully he isn't even playing upfront. I think people are basing their opinion on him based on him playing as a striker.

He's the supply line, not the focal point ( Ronaldo is) it also explains while Ozil's creativity has become restricted but that's another debate entirely.

Same with Rooney he gets rated on his performances as if he's playing as a striker when in reality he's not even close to playing there.

Benzema was brilliant when he was in Ligue 1. Seems to have lost his way a bit though thanks to his time at Real but I still think he's a lethal finisher and is arguably one of the best strikers of his generation.

Agree 100% with Sewelly.

I'm not disagreeing with you. :lol: He seemed to play ridiculously deep for France as well at the Euros. Very often picking the ball up in the centre of midfield.

Never said you were, just something i have picked up and felt like mentioning it.

probably went to wrong club, think falls into that valley of not quite being ridiculously good so not getting all the plaudits but still doing it at a very high level, so all he can really do is disappoint at Real Madrid. Very good player.

Agree 100% with Sewelly.

Never said you were, just something i have picked up and felt like mentioning it.

That's quite alright old chap. Jolly good. Carry on.