Newcastle United 2 - 1 West Brom - 28/10/12 - post match relief from page 29

Greg

Anyone thinking ameobi is coming off is crazy. We are pretty uninspiring without Ben Arfa. Our build up play is so simple. It's fine but we rarely do anything special in the final third (Benny excluded).

We could do with buying a replacement for Nolan now. Need someone that will get goals and create problems from the centre. Cabaye is more of a bridge between that and dm.

Guest bimpy474

Fair play to Shola, he won the header that lead to the goal, but what the hell is Pardew playing at playing him in that position?

Because Ba wont play it and has a sulk and obviously he doesn't fancy using Cisse there. Why when we have Obertan, Sammy, Marveaux and even Fergie (if you switched Barfa right) to play that position he chose Shola is one of lifes little mysteries.

Fair play to Shola, he won the header that lead to the goal, but what the hell is Pardew playing at playing him in that position?

We could play Steven Taylor in that position, he'd win as many headers and is more mobile. It might sound retarded but lets face it, so is starting Shola.

Guest bimpy474

Well apart from the flick on Shola has been awful. 4-3-3 is fine but you dont put a immobile clumsy oaf out wide.

Pardew is just mental like.

And the cross Ba should have scored from. Our best chances have come through Shola tbf

True but they are not enough to justify the rest of the performance, giving it away, lack of movement, some ridiculous decisions, imo like.

Well apart from the flick on Shola has been awful. 4-3-3 is fine but you dont put a immobile clumsy oaf out wide.

Yes.

Krul has been magnificent. Two one on one saves from Lukaku.

We'd most likely be losing this game without him.

Shola is obviously the weak point, doesn't have the pace, vision and passing ability of those around him.

He got a good assist but him and Jonas stick out like a sore thumb today in terms of being able to keep the ball moving quickly.

We've been canny, Ba's playing very well, glad we've not gone 4-4-2 as we have played a bit of football. I think Ben Arfa needs more support from the middle 3 when he's on the ball mind.

I hate Jonas not being one of those players I would desperately hope gets the ball, okay he was never directly effective in terms of goals/assists but now I just want him to move it on as soon as he gets the chance :(

We just look miles better with a central three. I've always been a 4-4-2 man in the past but when everyone else is packing the middle of the pitch, you've got to have really amazing wide players to make that formation work.

He's probably decided to play Shola because he was subbed off so early against Sunderland. Not how a team should be picked obviously, but reckon that's half the reason.

Id say its more because the alternatives all played on Thu, but yeah it may partly be that. You would take in a players motivation to play though, Ba's form has shown how that can affect how a player does. Sholas come in & should have two assists. Hard to argue when we dont know how they'd deal with our alternatives.

That was pretty good, we're well on top and just at the point I was starting to think that it might be a frustrating afternoon we managed to get a goal. People are banging on about the long ball, but there's nothing wrong with the odd long ball if we're playing with pace and it's done early before the opposition have the chance to get organised and that's what we've done for the vast majority of the time. We've finally started playing with the pace we were last season and we look so much better for it. Now everything is crisp and sharp and we're mixing it up, some long balls, some short and more intricate passing and some dribbling, it's much much better than the early season, when we looked unfit and were therefore way off the pace. It's as simple as that for me, now we're fit we're playing well, whereas before we were unfit and played badly. We'll be alright from here on in, but how many points have we thrown away up to now due to lack of fitness? I can't understand why any coach would allow his players to start the season unfit, it's ridiculous.

Anyway, let's get a couple more in the second and win this by the margin our dominance deserves.

I hate Jonas not being one of those players I would desperately hope gets the ball, okay he was never directly effective in terms of goals/assists but now I just want him to move it on as soon as he gets the chance :(

Me too, and that's exactly what Pardew should be telling him, just keep the ball moving. The way he tried to win a free kick in the corner instead of doing something with the ball was pathetic.

The glaring weakness's are :

1. Sholas inconsistancies

2. Danny Simpsons inability to successfully complete a pass or a meaningful cross

3. Jonas slow to distribute the ball and often misplacing his pass

4. Perch not being a deep lying playmaker.