So What Would YOU Change?

Colos Short and Curlies

In January I'd buy a genuine left back and switch Santon to the right. The width would automatically improve for the team and so would the passing and goal scoring chances as a result. Right now, I'd give Ferguson the shirt and see if he can handle it. We need an attacking midfielder as well. Pardew's preference for playing two defensive midfielders is one of the reasons why there's always a huge gap between defence and attack.

A new box-to-box midfielder, which would probably mean the sale of Tiote (preferably) or Cabaye. Someone who'll drive the team forward and not give stupid fouls away. Doesn't have to be the most talented player, just someone who reads the game well, does the basics right and can make an impression in the final third. I was hoping Gosling would eventually fill this void but his development has been curtailed.

If we buy Sissokho (again out of contract the end of the year according to a couple of sites) hopefully he'll fulfill this role.

I'd love it.

Get in a new first team coach with a history of working with counter-attacking/pressing/fast-passing styles. Get him to work exclusively on our passing and movement when in possession

This.

Plus i'd try to get Ince and Debuchy in if all possible and sign Sissoko and Douglas on pre-contract agreements. ( if we can get them really cheap i'd buy them in Jan but that doesn't seem as realistic as the pre-contract agreement scenario)

If finance is struggling then i'd consider selling Tiote to raise funds.

Even the greatest attacking coach wouldn't be able to do much with just 1 day a week. Changing that "philosophy" alone would do wonders.

Well yeah in this scenario where we get this coach that has been mentioned then he has to be working with the players on a day-to-day basis and not just one day a week which quite frankly is mental in itself.

f***ing get that Santon argument out of this thread. 

(he's better at left back)

How many crosses does he provide from wide left? Cisse scored from a Ferguson cross in a previous Euro game.

Think that's a confidence thing more than a weak foot thing as when he's played on the right he's struggled to put decent delivery into the box too.

f***ing get that Santon argument out of this thread. 

(he's better at left back)

How many crosses does he provide from wide left? Cisse scored from a Ferguson cross in a previous Euro game.

Think that's a confidence thing more than a weak foot thing as when he's played on the right he's struggled to put decent delivery into the box too.

He's barely played there. If he can defend on the left he can defend on the right. It's not much of a difference. He might also put in the occasional cross from the right. Italy U-21's play him at RB. I reckon they know a thing or two about defending. Anyone who says (and i'm not including you in this) that he can't play RB is clueless.

Never said he can't play there he can i just don't think his lack of end product is sorely due to playing on the left.....

He seems to lack confidence to play that final ball when he gets close to the penalty area and usually just passes it off to a team mate.

He's played enough on both sides to state on opinion on it.

Honestly i'm not bothered about it, just buy the best fullback available to us if that's a right back then so be it if that's a left back then so be it.

I just don't think his end product is solely due to playing on the left IMO its mainly due to do with confidence.

Agree with all of those who've suggested appointing an attacking coach. Our attack is absolutely toothless and without plan, and it's affected our entire play (negatively).

As for incomings and outgoings, i never thought i'd say it but i'm starting to lean towards selling Tiote. I think he's made himself as expendable as anyone. It would be harder to accept if his performances counteracted his constant absence, but they don't. I think he's a fantastic player on his day but even i (one of his biggest fans) can't claim that he's played well in ages.

Seeing him go would be hard to swallow cos he's so likeable and has been a colossal part of our resurgence, but perhaps he's served a purpose here and it's time to move on?

If Sissoko is a good box-to-box midfielder, i think i would go for that. Then, obviously, we need defenders.

It's not really about training and prozone and percentages and posession graphs and fitness regimes and psychology. They have their place, but IMO, what happens in those 90 mins is much bigger than that. It's about magic and dreams and belief. There are a few special managers who have that 'x' factor, the rest are clones of the modern game.

Agree with all of those who've suggested appointing an attacking coach. Our attack is absolutely toothless and without plan, and it's affected our entire play (negatively).

As for incomings and outgoings, i never thought i'd say it but i'm starting to lean towards selling Tiote. I think he's made himself as expendable as anyone. It would be harder to accept if his performances counteracted his constant absence, but they don't. I think he's a fantastic player on his day but even i (one of his biggest fans) can't claim that he's played well in ages.

Seeing him go would be hard to swallow cos he's so likeable and has been a colossal part of our resurgence, but perhaps he's served a purpose here and it's time to move on?

If Sissoko is a good box-to-box midfielder, i think i would go for that. Then, obviously, we need defenders.

If you're playing with a 3 in midfield you don't necessarily need a breaker/physical behomoth type in the middle, saying that we don't seem to be going that way and in a 2 he is vital due to the pressure he puts on opponents and the amount of work he gets through despite his attacking deficiencies.

In my opinion we shouldn't be selling anyone though, especially in light of these mega new sponsorship deals and forthcoming TV deals.

Why sell our good players because the manager can't use them correctly? Why not keep them and get a manager who knows how to organise a team at both ends of the pitch?

If you're playing with a 3 in midfield you don't necessarily need a breaker/physical behomoth type in the middle, saying that we don't seem to be going that way and in a 2 he is vital due to the pressure he puts on opponents and the amount of work he gets through despite his attacking deficiencies.

Tiote plays an important role - even when he's not playing well - i agree. Sissoko needs to have a semblance of defensive awareness if he's going to replace Cheick. At the moment i'm leaning towards getting rid of Tiote; he's generally playing shit and he's never going to improve his aggression at this club.

Why sell our good players because the manager can't use them correctly? Why not keep them and get a manager who knows how to organise a team at both ends of the pitch?

I haven't seen evidence of Tiote being one of our 'good players' all season, regardless of tactics. He's a liability in possession more often than not, and suspended half the time. I really wonder what we'd be missing if he left and replaced him with a talented box-to-boxer.

It's not really about training and prozone and percentages and posession graphs and fitness regimes and psychology. They have their place, but IMO, what happens in those 90 mins is much bigger than that. It's about magic and dreams and belief.

Exactly. This idea about having a defensive coach and a different one for attacking is just ludicrous. To attack you need to commit players forward, to defend you need to commit them backwards. You can't do both separately.

I haven't seen evidence of Tiote being one of our 'good players' all season, regardless of tactics. He's a liability in possession more often than not, and suspended half the time. I really wonder what we'd be missing if he left and replaced him with a talented box-to-boxer.

Yet Tiote was a good enough player for Fergie to have wanted to sign except he didn't want to pay more than £15m. Do you think he might know a bit about how to set up a good football team?

It's not really about training and prozone and percentages and posession graphs and fitness regimes and psychology. They have their place, but IMO, what happens in those 90 mins is much bigger than that. It's about magic and dreams and belief.

Exactly. This idea about having a defensive coach and a different one for attacking is just ludicrous. To attack you need to commit players forward, to defend you need to commit them backwards. You can't do both separately.

It doesn't even have to be appointing a new 'attacking coach'. Just more focus on attack throughout the week. Carver said recently that Pards spends four days sussing the opposition, then Carver spends one day on 'how to win'. It's absolute bullshit. We've got some of the most talented players in the division; it should be the other way round. Especially when all the defensive work is being negated by the fact that our shit attack constantly leaves us vulnerable.

Yet Tiote was a good enough player for Fergie to have wanted to sign except he didn't want to pay more than £15m. Do you think he might know a bit about how to set up a good football team?

I don't know what you're on about really but that fact of the matter is, i fail to see Tiote improving at this club. He's regressed in fact. If that's partly down to the manager - fair enough, it's shit on Pards' part. But it's not all the boss' fault; Tiote has been shite in possession and thick as mince on numerous occasions.

I've not been happy with Pardew but you can't constantly forgive the players due to his tactical mishaps. Basic footballing ability has escaped our big players this season; there's only Ba and Santon this season who have been consistently 'okay-and-above'. Cisse, Cabaye, Tiote, Jonas, Anita, Marveaux (even Coloccini and Taylor) have let us down on occasions due to mental breakdowns or pure shit performances. It's partly down to the manager, but it's down to the players too.

It's a collaboratively thing this year. Everyone has been shit; from board members to midfielders.

Tiote has just got progressively worse. Like i say, maybe he's served a purpose here and it's time to move on? It would be sad to see him go, but i've got no problem with the staff trying a different sort of player in that position. Because it's not working any more.

Agree with Yorkie re Tiote.

A large part of our failures this season, in addition to negative set-up has been the performances of Tiote, Cabaye, Jonas and Cisse being nowhere near last season.

Most of other players have also been inconsistent. Complacent and people need to be dropped?

Worried about quality of the summer signings in midfield, I too would like to see Gosling get a run in team. Liked look of Abeid when he came on, and pleased to see Marveaux score.

The team aren't playing well or getting results. It would be good to see Ashley put pressure on Pardew like other owners. #kickupthearse

It doesn't even have to be appointing a new 'attacking coach'. Just more focus on attack throughout the week. Carver said recently that Pards spends four days sussing the opposition, then Carver spends one day on 'how to win'. It's absolute bullshit. We've got some of the most talented players in the division; it should be the other way round. Especially when all the defensive work is being negated by the fact that our s*** attack constantly leaves us vulnerable.

It also seems very inefficient to me.  Each opponent plays a different way and so you'll need to focus on different areas and drills for each game.  When you train on how we want to play it's consistent week to week and so you build on what you've done week after week, refining and improving things until everyone is totally at home with it.

Basically, it's the difference practising poker one week, blackjack the next, bridge the next etc etc and just consistently and constantly practising poker until you're fucking awesomesauce.

As for bringing Sissoko in and selling Tiote i would line up us like this in that Scenario....

Anita

Cabaye Sissoko

So in reality Sissoko doesn't replace Tiote he replaces Jonas and Anita would replace Tiote, we would have to pass the ball and move a lot better off the ball to make it work but i don't see why it wouldn't if under this scenario we are getting an coach to help with our total and utter shit gameplan.

Honestly i'd rather not sell anyone but of all the stars we have i think we can get away with selling Tiote.

Sell Colo, Krul, Santon, Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Cisse/Ba= f*cked.... but Tiote i think we an get away with especially if we buy a box to box midfielder.