So What Would YOU Change?

Colos Short and Curlies

Am I the only one who sees Anita less as a traditional defensive midfielder and more as a deep-lying playmaker?

Well yeah but there's more and more deep-lying playmaker becoming defensive midfielders.

Take Arteta's role at Arsenal for example i reckon he could do that to perfection as long as we actually pass the bloody ball anyway.

Am I the only one who sees Anita less as a traditional defensive midfielder and more as a deep-lying playmaker?

Well yeah but there's more and more deep-lying playmaker becoming defensive midfielders.

Take Arteta's role at Arsenal for example i reckon he could do that to perfection as long as we actually pass the bloody ball anyway.

Fair points.

Guest Dontooner

Hire 2nd man to coach real football suited to our players

Or

Sack Manager get Harry Redknapp, even better pay fulham get Martin Jol

I can't see the style of play changing anytime soon so, on the basis we need a complete change in playing style throughout the club, I'd bring in Roberto Martinez who seems to have the ability to set a side up with a real game plan and his teams always try to play decent football.

I'd then bring in a long term Colo replacement, as I said in the summer and got laughed at.

I'd also plump for a new right back and new winger/wide forward.

To balance the books somewhat I'd sell one of Ba/Cisse as I just can't see how both can comfortably fit in to any system as a pairing.

Agree with quite a lot of this, Minhosa - a good post - don't know why you got stick about the Colo thing, he's over 30 and we will really struggle if he gets any long term injuries. Maybe they think Goode is the long term replacement but he has just gone to Bradford and unless he really does well there, he won't be getting a chance in the first team any time soon.

Martinez is also a good punt, but I have doubts whether he would join us after refusing Liverpool, or that Whelan would let him...he would also be given lots of bad vibes from Whelan about Ashley.

Jol would be my choice but I can't see him leaving a fairly comfortable post in London to head North...replacing Pardew is going to be difficult and almost impossible if we want a proven manager due to the constraints they have to work under because we DO need quality players in crucial positions.

Your comment about Ba and Cisse will, I reckon, solve itself because I expect Ba to go in Jan, which means we will need a very decent target man...

Agree with the RB AND the winger but we all know that these positions are going to be a problem until summer...

To sum up, there is so much wrong that it is going to take major surgery to put it right ; I am convinced we will never play a good passing game under Pardew and his methods may work for short periods but are eventually found out and not a basis for long term success. It wouldn't actually surprise me if we DID win at Southampton but any such result will paper over the cracks...for a while.

We are never going to be a Top 4 club under Ashley - will be a big ask under any owner now unless a rich Arab buys the club - because we will always be short on the playing side. That said, we have the support base, a good number of decent players and, with the right coaching/management, are capable of being Top 6 and a regular challenger for cups. Our fans at least deserve to see entertaining(and, at SJP at least) winning football...most of them would be happy with the scenario I have described but we are a LONG way from that now. Even during last season's winning run, we rarely played decent football and had a fair amount of luck - that only lasts so long.

My biggest fear is that Ashley will either let this drag on too long or that he will genuinely not know what to do about it because he has painted himself into a corner with Pardew's 8 year contract and his own past actions.

There is unlikely to be any action soon - they will rely on some luck turning things their way but Christmas will be the crucial time. If we are in the bottom 4 by then, I expect something will be done,but I haven't a clue what..!

Even if we pull out of the current problems, I expect them to return in due course.....

Bringing in an 'attacking coach' only works is the manager wants to develop that side of the game - if he's uncomfortable with pass and move football, as Pardew seems to be(evidenced by the time spent on defence in training), a new coach will be superfluous.

The manager determines the style of play.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Signings needed:

2 centre back's as I have no faith in Saylor nor Williamson.

1 full back preferably left and then switch Santon.

1 out and out winger with a very good delivery and pace.

1 striker we need another option upfront would like someone with lots of pace.

Tactics:

No more hoofball.

Much higher line and playing on the front foot at the striker penning the other team back.

Not a single set piece ever to Williamson.

Training:

Much more emphasis on attacking.

New attacking coach.

I would change expectations for the season.

Write the season off as transitional in the league.

Try to get a cup run going.

Give a bit more game time to Ferguson, Sammy, Bigirimana, Amalfitano, Good, Tavernier, Vuckic (if fit) and Campbell, see if it helps strengthen us for future seasons.

Experiment a bit, try to find a magic formula.

Try to win every game but don't stress out when we are only mid table.

Well that's a lie, I'm not baffled at all, because it's looking likely that Ba is being a t*** about playing wide left. Now I love Demba, he's a great player and I'm glad we have him. But if the above is our best formation (and, given the personnel we have, it just IS our best formation) then he f***ing plays there or leaves. There's no point keeping someone happy to the detriment of the whole team

This is 100% correct and I've been saying it since Ba was stropping off the pitch last season. The isue should have been sorted over the summer and left there, Ba either plays where the team needs him or leaves and we put our faith in Cisse and bring in a wide forward, the team would be better off for it.

Anyone seen the Bobby Robson DVD A Knight To Remember? Shearer talks about a time that Bobby put him in the squad for an away European game and he travelled and didnt play, he went to speak to Bobby about it and told him he was a bit pissed off about it "I'm paid to be the manager Alan, you're paid to play football" was Bobby's response, as simple as that. That's management, not this piss farting about.

Well that's a lie, I'm not baffled at all, because it's looking likely that Ba is being a t*** about playing wide left. Now I love Demba, he's a great player and I'm glad we have him. But if the above is our best formation (and, given the personnel we have, it just IS our best formation) then he f***ing plays there or leaves. There's no point keeping someone happy to the detriment of the whole team

this is 100% correct and I've been saying it since Ba was stropping off the pitch last season

Ba cannot play on the left long-term, not because he'll get unhappy blah blah blah - but because he can't. He is not fit enough to work the channels game-after-game for 90, and we don't have the resources to get a replacement of similar ilk to come in for him when he is running on fumes.

For me, it's Ba or Cisse rotated in the centre. We have enough games for it.

More than that I don't think it even utilises his strengths for the team's best benefit.

Give a bit more game time to Ferguson, Sammy, Bigirimana, Amalfitano, Good, Tavernier, Vuckic (if fit) and Campbell, see if it helps strengthen us for future seasons.

No way, we've spent most of my life in a transitional period.  It's easier to do when you're in your 20's or 30's and have gone through the Keegan and Robson years which reduce the number of transitional periods as a percentage of what you've watched.

this is 100% correct and I've been saying it since Ba was stropping off the pitch last season

Ba cannot play on the left long-term, not because he'll get unhappy blah blah blah - but because he can't. He is not fit enough to work the channels game-after-game for 90, and we don't have the resources to get a replacement of similar ilk to come in for him when he is running on fumes.

For me, it's Ba or Cisse rotated in the centre. We have enough games for it.

More than that I don't think it even utilises his strengths for the team's best benefit.

It's a fair point, I think he could do a job until January though.

Ba is by far the best striker we've had since Shearer so he shouldn't be on the wing. We wouldn't play Shearer on the wing if Ferdinand wasn't scoring. Focus on the player scoring, not the one who isn't.

*9 pages of boring tactics talk coming up*

I'll do it on one post nevermind 9 pages. Focus on the team first and foremost, EVERYTHING else is secondary.

The only player scoring being pushed out onto the wing helps the team? We'd be nearly bottom without his goals. Once Cisse wakes up things might change.

Play to the players' strengths.

Play Ferguson/Santon as full backs when we attack teams.

Play Simpson when we sit deep.

Play three in the middle. Let Anita melt into the role he had at Ajax.

Play Ben Arfa higher up the pitch.

Attack teams from both wings, don't leave everything to Hatem.

Play Ba OR Cissé. Don't play one of them out of position, it's pointless.

Try to instigate some belief into certain players that they actually can pass the ball (Williamson etc.)

I'll do it on one post nevermind 9 pages. Focus on the team first and foremost, EVERYTHING else is secondary.

The only player scoring being pushed out onto the wing helps the team? We'd be nearly bottom without his goals. Once Cisse wakes up things might change.

Howay man, the team was functioning much better in the 4-3-3, he wouldn't be the only player scoring if we played as a team, it's basics.

Ba is by far the best striker we've had since Shearer so he shouldn't be on the wing. We wouldn't play Shearer on the wing if Ferdinand wasn't scoring. Focus on the player scoring, not the one who isn't.

*9 pages of boring tactics talk coming up*

No, I disagree. Ba's performing in this dire setup better than Cisse as his all-round game, specifically outside of the box, is superior. But Cisse is a better poacher, and would be more suited to playing central in a 3, with a proper winger - not Ba - out wide.

No way, we've spent most of my life in a transitional period.  It's easier to do when you're in your 20's or 30's and have gone through the Keegan and Robson years which reduce the number of transitional periods as a percentage of what you've watched.

What are we transitioning to though?  Does anyone believe we're going to come out of this a better side playing good, flowing football and attacking teams the way we know we can?

It could happen I suppose but if i'm being honest I  can't see it.  I'd love to be proved wrong and Pardew can have some time to prove me wrong I think.

Unless performances and results pick up very soon, I think that's probably going to be the club's viewpoint.

The difficulty is accepting it when we know for a fact that many of the players on the books are capable of so much more. January and the summer are currently scaring the shit out of me.

Howay man, the team was functioning much better in the 4-3-3, he wouldn't be the only player scoring if we played as a team, it's basics.

That, I agree with. If the manager can't find a way to get both 20 goal a season strikers scoring then the problem isn't with the strikers.