Southampton 2 - 0 Newcastle Utd - 25/11/12 - post-match reaction from page 45

Beren

Only saw the second half but that was laughably comfortable for a team that most predict will be battling relegation all season. Could have quite easily been six or seven.

Even aside from the question of management, the number of basic errors the players are making at present is unbelievable. Players running into each other, throw-ins immediately putting teammates under pressure (there were two in particular in the second half that were truly incredible), corners taken directly to the opposition, shots spilled by the goalkeeper and so on. There's a fundamental problem here right now.

Remembering the DVD of the 2005/2006 season, where Shepherd said something along the lines that "players like Parker, Bowyer and Emre... running into each other" (at the Man City game... Souness got sacked after that one...)

Lee Clark! Not Bowyer.

I was there. It was great. We mocked Joey Barton.

Or Clarke.. Who cares anyway. Fact is, there are similarities to that season and that manager.

Clark.

Barely watching after 65 minutes, but my thoughts (mainly from the first half):

- Tiote did well first-half, risky backpass aside

- Ferguson put in a good free-kick - the first I've seen in a while - with really good shape whipped in behind the Southampton defence. One of the few times their defence was meaningfully tested. Unfortunately, like many of our set-penises it ended up with them going up the other end and getting a free-kick for nothing on the edge of our box.

- Ba's individualism from the off was galling to see. After 2-3 minutes, he showed it for the first time. Better pption to pass, and he tried to go for it alone. Not sure if that's a lack of faith in his teammates (which would be super-depressing so early in the match) or if those are the tactics.

- Saylor, and other defenders in fairness, all seem to be adopting Danny Simpson style defending - trying to guide attackers away, rather than stand up to them and put in a challenge. Really, really bad habit - and it's costing us goals.

- Crossing... we have to start getting in behind defences before we cross. We don't have the quality of delivery to be able to cross diagonally from in front of defences.

- Southampton. Well done, played well - even if you were up against shit opposition.

Also a shame Ferguson and Sammy will get exaggerated and undue flak from supporters because of bigger problems. They'll be wrongly hung out to dry. They weren't perfect today but "never going to make it" comments seem daft IMO.

Interesting comment about Ba. I tend to agree, i think Cisse holds it up and looks to find a team mate better than Ba does and despite his goals I think we need to get away fro playing the 2 of them up top and actually have the balls to pick one of them, and at the minute i'd pick Cisse.

Only saw the second half but that was laughably comfortable for a team that most predict will be battling relegation all season. Could have quite easily been six or seven.

Even aside from the question of management, the number of basic errors the players are making at present is unbelievable. Players running into each other, throw-ins immediately putting teammates under pressure (there were two in particular in the second half that were truly incredible), corners taken directly to the opposition, shots spilled by the goalkeeper and so on. There's a fundamental problem here right now.

Wrong:

We need a decent attacking coach, some self belief again & less injuries, thats about it.

Our attacking play being the fundamental problem? Spudil lad, stick to writing up nonsense with complete conviction in the dieting threads mate, atleast reading your stuff is amusing then.

I humbly suggest you brush up on your reading comprehension lad. Then read this post again. ;)

Good point on Ba, Beren. He's been pissing me off recently, thinks he has the on-ball ability of Ben Arfa, when in actual fact his play is generally poor. He was unbelievably selfish today and I think he needs to be taken down a peg or two. No wonder he might have an inflated ego mind, it's not as if our coach didn't completely pander to him as soon as he threw a strop.

Never been one to criticize our players but thank god Colocinni is back and Williamson isn't starting against Stoke.

Steven talyor is not any better either. If any one has been monitoring his play he would notice how rubbish he is and why we concede easy goals.

Good point on Ba, Beren. He's been pissing me off recently, thinks he has the on-ball ability of Ben Arfa, when in actual fact his play is generally poor. He was unbelievably selfish today and I think he needs to be taken down a peg or two. No wonder he might have an inflated ego mind, it's not as if our coach didn't completely pander to him as soon as he threw a strop.

There was a point at 0-0 and he just received the ball, turned and started running towards the goal and instead of passing to the nufc player in space on the right he tried to shoot from ridiculous range. You can't call us a team at the moment.. it's frustrating watching other teams all working as one for each other and then we get what we had today.

Has Pardew done is post match interview yet or has he gone into hiding along with some of the players?

well I went looking form it, but couldnt find- despite watching the game, and following it on here I somehow had it in my head it was 3-0 and when I saw 2-0 again, I felt a bit of joy. :lol: :lol: :(

Never been one to criticize our players but thank god Colocinni is back and Williamson isn't starting against Stoke.

Steven talyor is not any better either. If any one has been monitoring his play he would notice how rubbish he is and why we concede easy goals.

taylor has a hamstring injury apparently so looks like Williamson will be starting against Stoke

Ba is the only player even looking close to scoring. His goals are keeping us afloat at present and that probably won't change so dropping him won't help at all.

Ba is the only player even looking close to scoring. His goals are keeping us afloat at present and that probably won't change so dropping him won't help at all.

I never said drop him, someone just needs to get a hold of him and to tell him that he needs to be more of a team player.

Two defensive midfielders in the centre and two centre forwards who can't hold the ball up. Not a recipe for building attacks.

Cisse can hold the ball up. Playing up front on his own at Freiburg he was brilliant at it.

Two defensive midfielders in the centre and two centre forwards who can't hold the ball up. Not a recipe for building attacks.

Cisse can hold the ball up. Playing up front on his own at Freiburg he was brilliant at it.

didn't he play up top 'on his own' in our 4-3-3 spell? Seemed to work well..

The issue isn't that he's up top alone, it's that we want to use him as a target man, someone who enjoys physical scraps with centre-halves, something who battles with his back to goal, someone who is skilful enough to hold the ball when he has two or three players crowding around him.

Well he's not that sort of player. in the slightest. But what he can do is respond to good movement around him, play on the shoulder of the last defender, be part of quick, incisive counter-attacks, move into space and play simple passes when the other attackers show for the ball and so on. Not every lone striker need be a target man with physical presence, look at Defoe's form this season for example, or to be even more blindingly obvious, Falcao and Messi when they play in a front 3.

You will have to look quite far to see an example of a player being as poorly utilised as Cisse is right now - both in terms of how the team around him plays, and what he himself is expected to do. Looks absolutely bereft of ability and confidence. Pardew's use of his Cisse this season is worse than Allardyce putting Martins out wide, for instance. In fact it's even worse than those infamous matches when Souness put Shola on the left-wing, because you're wasting a far bigger asset than Ameobi. it's absolutely criminal.