Pardew Out?

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Howaythetoon

I don't think there's a distinct correlation between the type of player somebody was and the type of manager they become, tbh.

Same here but I do believe a correlation can be made between what kind of character they are and their abilities/ideas or lack of. KK for example was an extrovert,a  real charmer, a very positive forward thinking person and that's how his side played. Bobby was a bubbly positive person as well, full of adventure and excitable. Dalglish on the other hand was dour and that's how his sides played. Pardew is a bit false if you ask me, he's a working class bloke in an Armani suit with Hugo Boss glasses, a cosmopolitan wife and a dossier for every team and player. He has created an image for himself and speaks a good game, but when that image is exposed, well, he's just a working class bloke underneath it all. We play like his character. We are just a workmanlike team basically.

I run my own business and whenever I employ someone I always look at their character first and what kind of person they are. We have one kid working for us, he's a lazy so and so but he's a very funny kid and very likeable, he makes others tick. Give me him over a harder working kid who has nowt about him. You can tell a lot about a manager from their character and just what kind of managers they are or will be.

That's a very astute post HTT.

Yes I agree, generally the  more outgoing, flamboyant the manager, the more attractive football his team will play, and vice versa. See Howard Wilkinson, George Graham etc.

I wrote an article for this site a few years back delving into the characters of all our managers dating back to Ozzie Ardiles all the way to Alan Shearer (who I couldn't fathom out) because I believed a correlation between their characters and abilities as managers or coaches could be made and I think I found it really could. KK and Sir Bobby are obvious examples of course but if you look at all of the managers in the Premier League, their respective sides will show several characteristics of their managers both good and bad and on many levels.

I don't think there's a distinct correlation between the type of player somebody was and the type of manager they become, tbh.

Same here but I do believe a correlation can be made between what kind of character they are and their abilities/ideas or lack of. KK for example was an extrovert,a  real charmer, a very positive forward thinking person and that's how his side played. Bobby was a bubbly positive person as well, full of adventure and excitable. Dalglish on the other hand was dour and that's how his sides played. Pardew is a bit false if you ask me, he's a working class bloke in an Armani suit with Hugo Boss glasses, a cosmopolitan wife and a dossier for every team and player. He has created an image for himself and speaks a good game, but when that image is exposed, well, he's just a working class bloke underneath it all. We play like his character. We are just a workmanlike team basically.

I run my own business and whenever I employ someone I always look at their character first and what kind of person they are. We have one kid working for us, he's a lazy so and so but he's a very funny kid and very likeable, he makes others tick. Give me him over a harder working kid who has nowt about him. You can tell a lot about a manager from their character and just what kind of managers they are or will be.

Yes I agree, generally the  more outgoing, flamboyant the manager, the more attractive football his team will play, and vice versa. See Howard Wilkinson, George Graham etc.

I wrote an article for this site a few years back delving into the characters of all our managers dating back to Ozzie Ardiles all the way to Alan Shearer (who I couldn't fathom out) because I believed a correlation between their characters and abilities as managers or coaches could be made and I think I found it really could. KK and Sir Bobby are obvious examples of course but if you look at all of the managers in the Premier League, their respective sides will show several characteristics of their managers both good and bad and on many levels.

Arsene Wenger doesn't strike me as le fun guy whatsoever.

Really not a fan of the fickle nature of football fans, especially on this forum. Voted 'Nay' even though performances haven't been up to scratch, not to mention the points haul has been disappointing. We've got a relatively thin squad which I don't think is entirely his fault, and don't think all of the bad performance blame lies at his door. Some of the players simply haven't been good enough this season, and although part of this is down to him and his tactics, definitely a chunk of the responsibility lies with the players.

From his performance as manager since he took over from Hughton he's earnt the chance to put things right.

Guest Howaythetoon

Arsene Wenger doesn't strike me as le fun guy whatsoever.

He does strike me as a technical kind of guy though and his sides play technical, almost precise type of football, yet like their manager they are a tad timid and far too soft.

Of course you could pick out any single character trait of a manager and apply it to his side and vice-versa, but in general, most sides will be carved from their manager's character and traits, very rarely does a side not play or show the same characteristics as their manager.

Going back to KK, he was probably too nice a man in general and his side was too. We rarely went after refs or argued about decisions going against us. Yet Man Utd in comparison were right bullies and it could be argued, won several points by bullying the ref for example, points that could have been the difference between winning and losing a title.

By piecing together the traits of someone and building a character profile you can determine all kinds about a person, be they a football manager, a serial killer or even a forum member :lol:

Ashely and co would do well to look into the character and personal traits of whoever they next appoint.

Really not a fan of the fickle nature of football fans, especially on this forum. Voted 'Nay' even though performances haven't been up to scratch, not to mention the points haul has been disappointing. We've got a relatively thin squad which I don't think is entirely his fault, and don't think all of the bad performance blame lies at his door. Some of the players simply haven't been good enough this season, and although part of this is down to him and his tactics, definitely a chunk of the responsibility lies with the players.

From his performance as manager since he took over from Hughton he's earnt the chance to put things right.

I've just checked the Wiki (yes I know but I can't be arsed to work it out) pages for the win percentages for Pardew, Roeder and Souness and they are:

Roeder P72, W33, D24, L15, Win % 45.83

Souness P83, W36, D18, L29, Win % 43.37

Pardew P87, W34, D26, L27, Win % 39.08

If this creates a game of snap I'll get Maritimo in first.

I'm less worried about relegation (although I am concerned) than I am of all our big players jumping ship. Really we needed to finish at least in the same position to keep them and I now fear a massive rebuilding job in the summer, on a scale we've never seen before at NUFC.

Aye, this is my concern. What are french internationals Cabaye and Ben Arfa going to think about playing for a poor midtable side? If the slide continues, and somehow we still keep our big players, will we be able to make the recruitments we desperately need?

We blew it big time this summer, we had the biggest pull (in terms of signing players) we've had in maybe more than half a decade, and we signed a youngster from Ajax? Should have kicked on.

Well you'd hope that they'd feel guilty about it and pull their fucking fingers out!!

95% of the blame for us being where we are rests solely with the players, they should be ashamed of how they've played this season.

So it's the players who are choosing to line up outnumbered in midfield and choosing to float every set piece at Williamson and choosing to play more long balls than any other team in the league? Ludicrous comment Indi.

So you think it's all down to Pardew then?

If that's his one and only tactic then why didn't we play like that last season?

Yeah, we play far too many hopeful long-balls, but to say that Pardew is telling them to just lump it aimlessly up-field seems unlikely. We've played some decent football in short bursts this year, but it looks like they're just not fit enough to keep it up for an entire game this season, unlike last season when we often played well for the majority of a game. I find it hard to believe that he's said "I know we played well last season and got a lot of success from it, but I don't want you to do that any more, just boot up the park instead." For me the team is just playing so badly that they've ran out of ideas and confidence and so they resort to aimless long-balls because they don't know what else to do, that seems a lot more realistic than him having instructed them to be shit, he's not Allardyce after all.

If that's his one and only tactic then why didn't we play like that last season?

Yeah, we play far too many hopeful long-balls, but to say that Pardew is telling them to just lump it aimlessly up-field seems unlikely. We've played some decent football in short bursts this year, but it looks like they're just not fit enough to keep it up for an entire game this season, unlike last season when we often played well for the majority of a game. I find it hard to believe that he's said "I know we played well last season and got a lot of success from it, but I don't want you to do that any more, just boot up the park instead." For me the team is just playing so badly that they've ran out of ideas and confidence and so they resort to aimless long-balls because they don't know what else to do, that seems a lot more realistic than him having instructed them to be s***, he's not Allardyce after all.

Being a football manager must be brilliant, we can just blame the players for everything and the manager has absolutley no responsibility for team performance.

Why are the players being allowed to do what the hell they want? If they are ignoring him, why isn't he, the manager, doing something about it?

Yeah, we play far too many hopeful long-balls, but to say that Pardew is telling them to just lump it aimlessly up-field seems unlikely. We've played some decent football in short bursts this year, but it looks like they're just not fit enough to keep it up for an entire game this season, unlike last season when we often played well for the majority of a game. I find it hard to believe that he's said "I know we played well last season and got a lot of success from it, but I don't want you to do that any more, just boot up the park instead." For me the team is just playing so badly that they've ran out of ideas and confidence and so they resort to aimless long-balls because they don't know what else to do, that seems a lot more realistic than him having instructed them to be s***, he's not Allardyce after all.

Being a football manager must be brilliant, we can just blame the players for everything and the manager has absolutley no responsibility for team performance.

Why are the players being allowed to do what the hell they want? If they are ignoring him, why isn't he, the manager, doing something about it?

Being a football player must be brilliant, we can just blame the manager for everything and the players have absolutely no responsibility for team performance.

Pardew, obviously has to take some of the blame and if the team were playing well, but were losing because of his ridiculous decisions then he would have to take the majority of it, but they're not they're playing like a bunch of fucking clowns and that's why we're losing games. I can't think of one game where the majority of the team have played well, can you?

People always absolve the players from blame and never the manager, but the reality is it's down to both of them to a greater or lesser extent. The only debate is about the balance of blame/praise and in my view that has to come down on the side of the players, the vast majority of whom aren't playing anything like as well as they did last season and until at least some of them are it's pretty much impossible to judge Pardew's performance. People seem to think that he's telling the likes of Cisse to be offside every single time, etc, and as always people are looking for a scapegoat and the anti-Pardew bandwagon is well and truly rolling. The ironic thing is that most of the people jumping on to it are the same people who were singing his praises the most last season.

Being a football player must be brilliant, we can just blame the manager for everything and the players have absolutely no responsibility for team performance.

Pardew, obviously has to take some of the blame and if the team were playing well, but were losing because of his ridiculous decisions then he would have to take the majority of it, but they're not they're playing like a bunch of f***ing clowns and that's why we're losing games. I can't think of one game where the majority of the team have played well, can you?

People always absolve the players from blame and never the manager, but the reality is it's down to both of them to a greater or lesser extent. The only debate is about the balance of blame/praise and in my view that has to come down on the side of the players, the vast majority of whom aren't playing anything like as well as they did last season and until at least some of them are it's pretty much impossible to judge Pardew's performance. People seem to think that he's telling the likes of Cisse to be offside every single time, etc, and as always people are looking for a scapegoat and the anti-Pardew bandwagon is well and truly rolling. The ironic thing is that most of the people jumping on to it are the same people who were singing his praises the most last season.

no it's usually down to the manager because...

when one player plays badly you blame him,  two players play badly you blame two of them for playing badly.

when a whole fucking team all of sudden plays badly., and continues match after the match, you start to ask who should be making them play better

the manager.

This thread's gay as f*** tbh.

So there's nothing wrong with it you mean?

Exactly.

Loud and proud over here.

Not sure i understand.

I've just came out.

What's so gay about this thread then?

Guest icemanblue

Exactly.

Not sure i understand.

I've just came out.

You.

Exactly.

Not sure i understand.

I've just came out.

You.

What do i do to make this thread so gay then? Pls tell me.

Guest icemanblue

Exactly.

Not sure i understand.

I've just came out.

You.

Just, like, going about putting your cock in men's bums and that. Being all flamboyant and fabulous, you know?

I'm less worried about relegation (although I am concerned) than I am of all our big players jumping ship. Really we needed to finish at least in the same position to keep them and I now fear a massive rebuilding job in the summer, on a scale we've never seen before at NUFC.

Aye, this is my concern. What are french internationals Cabaye and Ben Arfa going to think about playing for a poor midtable side? If the slide continues, and somehow we still keep our big players, will we be able to make the recruitments we desperately need?

We blew it big time this summer, we had the biggest pull (in terms of signing players) we've had in maybe more than half a decade, and we signed a youngster from Ajax? Should have kicked on.

Well you'd hope that they'd feel guilty about it and pull their fucking fingers out!!

95% of the blame for us being where we are rests solely with the players, they should be ashamed of how they've played this season.

So it's the players who are choosing to line up outnumbered in midfield and choosing to float every set piece at Williamson and choosing to play more long balls than any other team in the league? Ludicrous comment Indi.

Yeah, we play far too many hopeful long-balls, but to say that Pardew is telling them to just lump it aimlessly up-field seems unlikely. We've played some decent football in short bursts this year, but it looks like they're just not fit enough to keep it up for an entire game this season, unlike last season when we often played well for the majority of a game. I find it hard to believe that he's said "I know we played well last season and got a lot of success from it, but I don't want you to do that any more, just boot up the park instead." For me the team is just playing so badly that they've ran out of ideas and confidence and so they resort to aimless long-balls because they don't know what else to do, that seems a lot more realistic than him having instructed them to be shit, he's not Allardyce after all.

The manager and his coaching staff are both on record saying we need to "hit the forwards early", Steve Stone after the Swansea game said that one of the positives was that we had "kicked it longer" than they did. Several players last season (HBA springs to mind) made comments about the manager favouring the long ball.

An Allardyce team came up here a fortnight ago and played considerably less long balls than we did, and have played less all season.

I would also argue that we did play like this last season, just with more success. Apart from the run with a different formation (now scrapped), we were never good to watch and generally spent the last ten minutes of wins kicking it off the line and defending for our lives. It was still very direct and pretty negative.

And yes, I did say all this at the time since you seem to think it was his fickle fans jumping on his back which is simply not true.

Exactly.

Not sure i understand.

I've just came out.

You.

Just, like, going about putting your cock in men's bums and that. Being all flamboyant and fabulous, you know?

What makes you think i do this?

Pardew, obviously has to take some of the blame and if the team were playing well, but were losing because of his ridiculous decisions then he would have to take the majority of it, but they're not they're playing like a bunch of f***ing clowns and that's why we're losing games. I can't think of one game where the majority of the team have played well, can you?

Have you been on a desert island?

We're playing 2 in the middle against 3 more often than not and because of it we're not controlling games.  We're losing possession because our 2 are being bypassed by the 3 opposition players.  Do the players decide to go with 2 in the middle?  If the answer is yes then fair enough it's the players to blame.

We hoof the ball from back to front more than any other team in the league, noises from within the club suggest that the players are being told to play that way.  Is that the fault of the players?

We've got 2 forwards who don't look to be compatible and rarely if ever have done so.  If the players are deciding to play 2 incompatible forwards then I will agree with you.

We spend 4 out of 5 days working on defence then spend another day on the forward play, if that is down to the players then yes, they are to blame.

We play 2 different teams a week when we play in Europe and surprisingly Pardew claims he doesn’t have enough time to prepare.  Is it the fault of the players that we play 2 different teams?

We concentrate on stopping the opposition and that means we have to look at each team before playing them and have little time to do so.  It would be better to concentrate on what we do rather than the opposition.  Is that the fault of the players?

Our season has been stop-start and we play as if we’re playing with 11 players who have never met, they probably only meet socially anyway because we seem to look at areas of the team in isolation.  Is that the fault of the players?

If it was 1 of 2 players playing below an expected level then I would tend to point the finger at them.  When it’s a large part of the team I tend to look in different areas for the reason.

Even if I'm wrong and the players are playing a greater part in our poor season, whose job is it to sort it out?

I will be managing people at work tomorrow just like I have every working day for years and if they fail to perform I’ll not get away with claiming that it’s down to the people who work for me.  I’ll not need telling who is responsible because I’ll know it’s me for failing to manage them. 

Football management is no different in that respect, if he can't manage the players and get the best out of the team then he shouldn't be managing.  Management is piss easy when things are going well, when the shit hits the fan you'll usually be able to seperate the good from the bad, we'll now see which of those Pardew is.