Pardew Out?

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We're screwed either way. Ashley won't stump up the money required to bolster the squad and, if Pardew is to be believed, will only be to happy to sell our bigger players. If he sacks Pardew he'll scrape the unemployed barrel for the cheapest manager.

This is the nub of the whole problem. Its a lose-lose situation because if Pardew goes, we are very unlikely to get a better replacement and the selling situation you refer to very likely to happen, although even if Pardew stays, I reckon at least one of the better players will go in Jan....Ba leaving might improve the atmosphere around the dressing room, but I think people like Cabaye have made their mind up as to which way Ashley is taking the club and they are not prepared to hang around during their prime years...and who could blame them ?

Future looks very moderate right now.

I don't think there's a distinct correlation between the type of player somebody was and the type of manager they become, tbh.

Same here but I do believe a correlation can be made between what kind of character they are and their abilities/ideas or lack of. KK for example was an extrovert,a  real charmer, a very positive forward thinking person and that's how his side played. Bobby was a bubbly positive person as well, full of adventure and excitable. Dalglish on the other hand was dour and that's how his sides played. Pardew is a bit false if you ask me, he's a working class bloke in an Armani suit with Hugo Boss glasses, a cosmopolitan wife and a dossier for every team and player. He has created an image for himself and speaks a good game, but when that image is exposed, well, he's just a working class bloke underneath it all. We play like his character. We are just a workmanlike team basically.

I run my own business and whenever I employ someone I always look at their character first and what kind of person they are. We have one kid working for us, he's a lazy so and so but he's a very funny kid and very likeable, he makes others tick. Give me him over a harder working kid who has nowt about him. You can tell a lot about a manager from their character and just what kind of managers they are or will be.

That's a very astute post HTT.

Yes I agree, generally the  more outgoing, flamboyant the manager, the more attractive football his team will play, and vice versa. See Howard Wilkinson, George Graham etc.

I wrote an article for this site a few years back delving into the characters of all our managers dating back to Ozzie Ardiles all the way to Alan Shearer (who I couldn't fathom out) because I believed a correlation between their characters and abilities as managers or coaches could be made and I think I found it really could. KK and Sir Bobby are obvious examples of course but if you look at all of the managers in the Premier League, their respective sides will show several characteristics of their managers both good and bad and on many levels.

Arsene Wenger doesn't strike me as le fun guy whatsoever.

Neither does Fergie, but I think you'll find that players respect them because of their knowledge and proven success....

I wonder if it's actually in Pardew's interests to have the squad he has. i bet he's on a percentage of sales - purchases.

I bet he isn't.

That was an interesting debate.

Many managers are, or were - they negotiate a percentage of any profit mad on a player signed under their regime. Clough had this, and the Radio Newcastle phone in team were once asked by a knowledgable caller whether KK was after he sold Huckerby.

They huffed and puffed, saying it was 'none of the fans' business' about KK's contract, but they never actually tried to deny it.....

I agree, was a baffling choice and the manager is to blame for that. Still another 10 players out there though. Pardew can't bring them all off.

I agree, his wrist would get tired after 4 or 5 of them.

On a side note, what the hell has happened to this forum that in 11 pages nobody picked that up.

I can't even begin to imagine who we'd replace him with. Yes, were utter, utter shit but we're still more likely to get out of this with him rather than rolling the die on someone new. We're NUFC fans. We should know this by now.

He shouldn't be sacked unless he's irrevocably lost the dressing room. (Granted, that may or may not have happened already.) This should be a principle that applies to almost all managers, not just Pardew.

Couple of people on 606 this week, one Reading fan calling for McDermott to be replaced and a couple of Everton fans really doubting Moyes. I was about to slag them off for being fickle as fuck, then I realised this is basically what a majority of our fans are doing on here.

Couple of people on 606 this week, one Reading fan calling for McDermott to be replaced and a couple of Everton fans really doubting Moyes. I was about to slag them off for being fickle as f***, then I realised this is basically what a majority of our fans are doing on here.

Not really the same, is it? I like Pardew but Moyes has proved himself to be a top manager.

Couple of people on 606 this week, one Reading fan calling for McDermott to be replaced and a couple of Everton fans really doubting Moyes. I was about to slag them off for being fickle as f***, then I realised this is basically what a majority of our fans are doing on here.

It's not quite the same though is it.

Moyes has Everton performing brilliantly and challenging for a European place. McDermott has just got Reading promoted and they are struggling to adapt to the Premier League (pretty typical for a newly promoted team).  Pardew has almost single-handedly masterminded our downfall with a catalogue of completely baffling tactical decisions. 

The difference is that we were doing great until Pardew started changing things.

We have to remember this:

'Part of Pardew's remuneration is based on how much the club's operating expenses (wge costs for him) are reduced. I think that this fact will influence much of this summer's decisions - ones that seem logical to us and ones that don't. '

You have to ask yourself if there are any other managers that you'd want, would they be happy with their wages being based on the above? Would YOU be happy if that was a strong factor in their thinking?

'Part of Pardew's remuneration is based on how much the club's operating expenses (wge costs for him) are reduced. I think that this fact will influence much of this summer's decisions - ones that seem logical to us and ones that don't. '

You have to ask yourself if there are any other managers that you'd want, would they be happy with their wages being based on the above? Would YOU be happy if that was a strong factor in their thinking?

Who is that a quote from?

Guest bimpy474

Not at all, the point is that he has had recent success and is now getting hammered because of a bad spell.

Bad spell i can deal with, bullshit statements and complete contradiction of himself, and the putrid football, i bloody well cant and wont put up with.

He needs to stop blaming everything and look at his tactics which are woeful, yet he ploughs on with them regardless.

Set Penises........explain them to me......18 months and he has done nothing about them at all.

Not at all, the point is that he has had recent success and is now getting hammered because of a bad spell.

Bad spell i can deal with, bullshit statements and complete contradiction of himself, and the putrid football, i bloody well cant and wont put up with.

He needs to stop blaming everything and look at his tactics which are woeful, yet he ploughs on with them regardless.

Set Penises........explain them to me......18 months and he has done nothing about them at all.

I'm not saying I can explain everything, or that he doesn't deserve criticism. I'm just saying that a lot of stuff that has happened this season (not just to us) has shown me just how extremely short-termist a lot of fans can be.

Obviously we should be discussing what he can/should do better, but it shouldn't be in the context of sacking him IMO.

Who is that a quote from?

Remember when we were told well in advance Hughton was out? Remember when we were told Pardew had been contacted and his contract drawn up? Remember that it was a couple of weeks before it broke out? The lawyer responsible for it let that little nugget go. All on the board for anyone who wasn't paying attention at the time.

Guest bimpy474

I'm not saying I can explain everything, or that he doesn't deserve criticism. I'm just saying that a lot of stuff that has happened this season (not just to us) has shown me just how extremely short-termist a lot of fans can be.

Obviously we should be discussing what he can/should do better, but it shouldn't be in the context of sacking him IMO.

I get the short term kneejerk stuff but thats not why i've had my fill of Pardew.

It was his Radio Newcastle interview and the "you need to control the midfield" and "we will be doing something about our set pieces".

Both of those have turned out to be utter bullshit, and everything he has tried to do with the team, system, formation, tactics have been the complete opposite of what he spewed out.

I'm worried as he seems intent on not changing from what isn't working. That and telling us we didn't play 4-4-2 against Swansea as if we are thick as pig shit. I mean after playing and watching football for the last 35 years i know nothing of a formation or tactic.

Mind you i'm supposed to grateful according to Pardew, aren't i ?

I get the short term kneejerk stuff but thats not why i've had my fill of Pardew.

It was his Radio Newcastle interview and the "you need to control the midfield" and "we will be doing something about our set pieces".

Both of those have turned out to be utter bullshit, and everything he has tried to do with the team, system, formation, tactics have been the complete opposite of what he spewed out.

I'm worried as he seems intent on not changing from what isn't working. That and telling us we didn't play 4-4-2 against Swansea as if we are thick as pig s***. I mean after playing and watching football for the last 35 years i know nothing of a formation or tactic.

Thing is, if he played this "system" because he believed in it, he would have come out and said so by now. He would have been brave enough to ask the fans to be patient and trust that this "system" will bear fruit eventually.

There's no "system" to speak of though, and even commentators have struggled lately to figure out what it is we're trying to do. There isn't any part of what we do, that we actually do well. If we were coming out with 0-0 draws all over the place, one would think "Well at least we defend pretty well". Alternatively it's not like we're creating bucketloads of chances that we simply can't finish. There is the absolute sum of ZERO about our play at the moment, and this is the most worrying thing.

I'm worried as he seems intent on not changing from what isn't working. That and telling us we didn't play 4-4-2 against Swansea as if we are thick as pig s***. I mean after playing and watching football for the last 35 years i know nothing of a formation or tactic.

Thing is, if he played this "system" because he believed in it, he would have come out and said so by now. He would have been brave enough to ask the fans to be patient and trust that this "system" will bear fruit eventually.

There's no "system" to speak of though, and even commentators have struggled lately to figure out what it is we're trying to do. There isn't any part of what we do, that we actually do well. If we were coming out with 0-0 draws all over the place, one would think "Well at least we defend pretty well". Alternatively it's not like we're creating bucketloads of chances that we simply can't finish. There is the absolute sum of ZERO about our play at the moment, and this is the most worrying thing.

Spot on.

Guest Slippery Sam

This is something I have been meaning to ask those who actually go and see NUFC;  Can they identify something that he is actually trying to achieve??  I haven't heard one comment which tells me there is something he is attempting to get the team playing, despite the poor performances.

Speculation is that there will be a lot of clauses in his 8 year contract. Perhaps one of those clauses could be he is on thin ice if the team loses four league games on the trot? Just a thought.  One thing I reckon Ashley and Dekka are doing now is looking around for alternatives.

Regardless of our football being very poor this season, the injuries situation is spiraling out of control beyond just being an excuse for Pardew. The mountain he has to climb to sort this out is getting bigger.

Guest bimpy474

Aye, nail on the head. We are desperately bad.

After calming down a bit since Sunday, I want him to be giving the rest of the season (less if we are in major relegation trouble but I just don't think we will, we are in poor form but I have faith he will pull it together).

I want him to go back to the way we were playing last season, for him to stop complaining about inuries and Europe (and embrace it)  that's all I ask.

Maybe he could ask for some reinforcements in the coaching departments too. That's up to Mike/Dezza at the end of the day.

It looks like a right off of a season already but it is expected after the lack of investment.

As for the squad, it is tiny, but that is not his fault. Mike, dig deep this January, please :)