Arsenal 7 - 3 Newcastle United - 29/12/12 - post-match reaction from page 55

Dave

Well that was a depressing history lesson, I'd heard all about this game but never seen the footage.

It could have been a lot more than 8 by the looks of things.

I was 8 months old at the time of this horrible defeat.

Guest neesy111

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20121229/boss-we-just-didnt-have-enough-legs_2281670_3021965

"I felt that for 70 minutes we were more than a match (for Arsenal) and at 3-3 it was about closing out the game," the boss told nufcTV following the final whistle.

"We just couldn't do it. We just didn't have enough legs on the pitch.

"The scoreline certainly flatters them, but the rest they had in the week was always going to tell at some point, and in that last 20 minutes we just ran out of energy.

"We did terrific for 65-70 minutes. We are still conceding soft goals and we know we have to improve in that area, but the end left a sour taste.

"We got ourselves in two great positions to get something out of the game, and at 2-2 I was just desperate to make us tighter. But we couldn't get tight for whatever reason, and that is something we have to sort out.

"I can't get away from the scoreline - it doesn't reflect well on us."

Whoopie, more defensive paranoia  :suicide:

Can you blame him after the last 2 games? :lol:

I would be more worried if he didn't acknowledge defensive failures. We have scored 6 and conceded 11 in the last 2 games. Where do you think we have struggled?

He's supposed to be the defensive minded coach in training from what we've read though.

:lol:

im so sad, im following it.

Me as well :lol:

well he just jumped from 6-1 to the summary- its a bit like a mick lowes commentary.

fuck me thats 15 goals weve conceded today- and now going to suffer motd.

Guest Slippery Sam

can you remember the 7-2 man utd? when it was.?

Mid to late 70's, I missed that one.

My brain is telling me it was a midweek League Cup game. Then again, my brain is addled!

:lol:

im so sad, im following it.

Me as well :lol:

well he just jumped from 6-1 to the summary- its a bit like a mick lowes commentary.

fuck me thats 15 goals weve conceded today- and now going to suffer motd.

Too depressing.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20121229/boss-we-just-didnt-have-enough-legs_2281670_3021965

"I felt that for 70 minutes we were more than a match (for Arsenal) and at 3-3 it was about closing out the game," the boss told nufcTV following the final whistle.

"The scoreline certainly flatters them, but the rest they had in the week was always going to tell at some point, and in that last 20 minutes we just ran out of energy.

"We did terrific for 65-70 minutes. We are still conceding soft goals and we know we have to improve in that area, but the end left a sour taste.

"We got ourselves in two great positions to get something out of the game, and at 2-2 I was just desperate to make us tighter. But we couldn't get tight for whatever reason, and that is something we have to sort out.

"I can't get away from the scoreline - it doesn't reflect well on us."

Whoopie, more defensive paranoia  :suicide:

Can you blame him after the last 2 games? :lol:

I would be more worried if he didn't acknowledge defensive failures. We have scored 6 and conceded 11 in the last 2 games. Where do you think we have struggled?

He's supposed to be the defensive minded coach in training from what we've read though.

Fair enough, he hasn't said 'yeah we are proper mint in defence, all down to me', he has acknowledged there are problems (which there are obviously are) so I'm not sure why anyone would act like him mentioning it is a bad thing.

He is a little too defensive but he can't win really, when we have gone ahead/brought it back to a draw before he has been slated for trying to close the game out. We get it back to 3-3, he brings on a forward in place of a midfielder and it goes wrong but he's fucked up again.

We have problems in defence, even our better players are making stupid mistakes, accepting that isn't a bad thing. It's what he should do. You can't go into a press conference after shifting 7 goals and deny there aren't issues at the back.

I'm veering on the side of cutting Pardew some slack at the minute, not least because he's playing the system I want to see played and he's actually down to the bare bones now, not like earlier in the year when he was playing the victim at having 2 players out.

However quotes like that above scream of having excuses readily prepared and sending the players in with a negative attitude.

Indeed. It is unfair that we've had to play an extra game while they've had the day off but how often have Arsenal et al had to play a Champions League game midweek before they've kicked our arse on the weekend over the last 15 years? It's been Saturday, Wednesday and Saturday, a typical schedule - blaming it on Christmas is smoke and mirrors.

I notice Reading, who played Boxing Day, beat West Ham, who didn't btw.

can you remember the 7-2 man utd? when it was.?

Mid to late 70's, I missed that one.

My brain is telling me it was a midweek League Cup game. Then again, my brain is addled!

its up the page- newstead posted it.