Arsenal 7 - 3 Newcastle United - 29/12/12 - post-match reaction from page 55

Dave

Flattering scoreline for Arsenal but mixed performance from us too. Defensively we looked all over the place, and the midfield giving away the ball didn't help much either.

Basically football in the PL is all about who can do things fastest, and we don't have anyone who can play anywhere near the Arsenal pace. We did well to get 3, but were always likely to concede a load.

Everton is extremely important now as we thought.

We've looked all over the place at the back for a month.

Played and looked so much better with the same players last season. I blame the fact we don't have any former defenders for coaches.. wait..

Guest tollemache

Well there we are. Just as bad as I thought. Look at the last two games and tell me there aren't all kinds of positives. We got fucking horsed, heads went down at 5-3 but we traded punches with Arsenal in a far more spirited way than any of you would have hoped for 3 games ago, for most of that match.

I prefer to look at it like this: we've gone toe to toe with two superb sides away from home and scored 6 goals in the process, where for months and weeks and months people have been complaining about sterile, no-risk hoofball. If we score 3 against Everton we'll most likely dick them.

So the floodgates opened when we went 2 behind, so f***.

I've come in here ready to rant at anyone who wants to be too negative after the last two games. Would you rather have seen those two games, or 180 minutes of speculative, disorganised hoofball after which we lost 1-0 and 2-0, for example? Loads of positives from two games you'd have budgeted for precisely 0 points from. If you fancy sniping, or you aren't in some small way heartened by what you've seen in the last few days then f*** right off.

And a happy new year

I'm struggling to feel too upset. Seemed like a late collapse (i only caught parts).

It was a late collapse basically, 4-3 was about the right result.

Hmm... not sure i agree. 4-3 felt right at the time... 7-3 felt right by the end.

Arsenal exploited our fatigue and poor tactical decisions with ruthless efficiency. They were brilliant tonight.

Flattering scoreline for Arsenal but mixed performance from us too. Defensively we looked all over the place, and the midfield giving away the ball didn't help much either.

Basically football in the PL is all about who can do things fastest, and we don't have anyone who can play anywhere near the Arsenal pace. We did well to get 3, but were always likely to concede a load.

Wondering if Cabaye offers far more defensively than I had realised.  Can't remember when he got injured but the defence was OK earlier in the season - or at least I don't think we were conceding such soft goals.

Guest Stone Cold Steve Austin

Remy watching this s*** in france thinking "hell no". Infact, every possible player we had in mind for january might be thinking that. We blew it in the summer.

F*ck Remy with our recent improvement in regards to attack i couldnt care less about that...

Just get some f*cking defenders.

but after tonight, who'd be capable of reinforcing this glass d, and would be willing to come?

we dropped the ball in the summer, where we should've been making these moves. now we're paying for it..

Wondering if Cabaye offers far more defensively than I had realised.  Can't remember when he got injured but the defence was OK earlier in the season - or at least I don't think we were conceding such soft goals.

Made the most tackles in the Prem last season.

So many things that have pissed me off and i can't really articulate a post at the minute.

But...

Simpson is shit and he can't take throw in's, or cross, or pass, or defend

Tiote has been shit for a season and is a liability.

What is Cisse doing on the wing?

Why did Bigi come off after being arguably our best player after Marveaux?

How can we concede 11 goals in two games when we train on defending 80% of the time?

Guest neesy111

I think Santon has been shocking the last month since the change to 433 ball watches all the time, it's clear that Jonas covered him badly in the 442.

He helps keep possession, which isn't exactly defensive in nature, but it helps out the defense massively.  He also reads the game pretty well and tracks back to cover and extra man here and there which also helps out the defense.

Thought the manager was pragmatic thinking that this game had gone from us and the subs were made with a view to the next game and I have no problem with that. As long as Simpson is sacked off.

Guest bluegeordie

My two pents worth.

Marv was fantastic - fast, positive, composed, and classy.

Like any true mercenary, Ba was lethal (with his feet, at any rate ... not for the first time, however, the timing of his heading seemed poor).

As usual this season, and despite some skillful hold up play, Cisse looked lost ... hardly surprising, given that he's consistently being played badly out of position (if Ba stays and remains injury-free, Cisse could be forgiven for putting out a contract on him).

Obertan looked dangerous going forward ... but remains a serious defensive liability, with an attitude which would not serve him well in the trenches.

Imo, Colo is a high class defender, who is currently attempting to ply his trade in a low, low, low class defence ... fwiw, I also have serious doubts about his capacity to captain, although I admit that we don't exactly have an embarrassment of riches in that area.

Santon looked - more than anything else - his age. I think he has enormous potential, and imo he's been close to our best player in many games this season, but his positioning is appalling at times, and he clearly lost his composure as the wheels were falling off today (a red for that cynical foul near the end would not have been overly harsh). 

I thought Bigi did okay today, especially considering his age and lack of experience at this level.

Tiote needs to come back and replace his talentless and, at times, spiritless twin - there's a fine line between (physically) tired and (psychologically) weak, and I felt he was on the wrong side of that line as the game wore on today.

Perch is a capable enough centre back ... for a lower division, but can obviously do well for us in a defensive midfield role, and as a "utility" player to plug gaps if and when they appear.

Simpson has too many limits in his game for this level.

Shola predicably took a Sunday stroll, despite it being a Saturday.

Fergie has yet to convince me that he is ready for the EPL - one or two great crosses aside (in other games). He must be looking forawrd to the EUFA Cup recommencing.

Krul hasn't seemed himself of late, but then shellshock is at least partly understandable when you have that rabble playing in front of you.

And Pardew? Fuck, I'll have to return to that one later, because I still don't know exactly what to think.

P.S. I agree with those who have posted about our tiredness and their freshness, but only as a part explanation for what took place out there today.

"We have given away soft goals in both games and the match has got away from us. It was a heavy pitch at Old Trafford and we looked leggy after our exertions there.

"We did not have the energy to cope with them in the last 20 minutes. We put the ball at risk too often and some of the goals we gave away were not good enough for us.

"There was a clear difference between the two sides in the last part of the match. We got overrun today, but we have to defend as a team. I don't want to put all the focus on the defence and the back four.

"[ba leaving the club] will be what it will be. There is nothing we can do about that the clause is there and that is that."

Still going on about Ba. :lol:

even though both Christmas games have ultimately proved fruitless and emphasised our glaring defensive incapabilities, I can't help but feel proud of the overall performances and effort of the players. If nothing else these games have acted as a reminder of just how good we can be at times and suggested that the team is willing to FIGHT.... for their right..... to paaaaaaaaaar-tay. The Newcastle United of last season is still in there somewhere, keep the faith!