Other clubs' kits (2023/24)

Toon Hoser

I know Castore gets a lot of stick, but atleast they keep it simple, these days it feels like Puma, Nike and Adidas just do random designs that don't make sense in order to be edgy. 

11 minutes ago, 54 said:

I know Castore gets a lot of stick, but atleast they keep it simple, these days it feels like Puma, Nike and Adidas just do random designs that don't make sense in order to be edgy. 

Aye their actual designs for our home kits have been on point and I'm happy they brought back embroidered crests. I still pine for adidas, however, because of the past and because I want our club to be associated with premium brands after the fat knobhead's era.

52 minutes ago, Deuce said:

The whole concept of changing the kit every season is a bit daft tbh.

From the perspective of whom?

It's obviously a big owld money making scheme, but it's really the major piece of merchandise that fans will buy. There is really no clamour for all the DIY looking one-off tshirts and shit that plague other sports. NEWCASTLE UNITED CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 23-24 and all that bollocks. People just want the kit.

(not that these things aren't produced)

22 minutes ago, Deuce said:

The whole concept of changing the kit every season is a bit daft tbh.

I generally agree, but of all the "boo capitalism" things about football, I don't have a huge issue with it. It's fun waiting for a new kit and, if you end up with a stinker, you're not stuck with it for more than one year. 

What I have a greater issue with is the sheer volume of kits that are produced and worn. I mentioned it elsewhere the other day but, factoring-in unnecessary and seemingly random short/sock changes, we wore ten different kits last season, and that's before you consider the other shite they produced; namely that weird all black shirt with the winged badges. It is absolutely beyond me why anyone forks-out for that sort of meaningless tat. On top of that, you've got a new training range every other month. 

I know it seems like a pet hate, and it is, but I do think this sort of stuff matters. Kits are an absolutely crucial part of the club identity but not just that; they're synonymous with good times and bad times. By over-producing or making unnecessary changes, you're diluting the impact of something potentially iconic. 

24 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

From the perspective of whom?

It's obviously a big owld money making scheme, but it's really the major piece of merchandise that fans will buy. There is really no clamour for all the DIY looking one-off tshirts and shit that plague other sports. NEWCASTLE UNITED CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 23-24 and all that bollocks. People just want the kit.

(not that these things aren't produced)

From a business perspective it makes complete sense, for sure. Fully acknowledge that I grew up in a very different sports culture where uniform changes were rare and subtle when they did happen. I think for that reason I’ve never understood the urge to buy the kit every year, but to each their own.

2 hours ago, Deuce said:

From a business perspective it makes complete sense, for sure. Fully acknowledge that I grew up in a very different sports culture where uniform changes were rare and subtle when they did happen. I think for that reason I’ve never understood the urge to buy the kit every year, but to each their own.

Just a, somewhat arbitrary, different culture innit. For the upcoming game in Philadelphia the missus was trying to get me to buy snidey white tshirts off Amazon that basically just say Newcastle and have the crest on. The kind of shit some old maid sells on Etsy for $40. I tried to explain that the only way to make our friends appear like legitimate Newcastle fans is if they're wearing actual jerseys. So if you see a row full of bellends in snidey Amazon Newcastle tshirts, come say hi.

Just now, David Edgar said:

Port Vale have gone to Puma.

image.thumb.png.c7f144a0bbc6de6ad3aced13fe9dea17.png

Fans aren't happy.

That seems... pretty nice!? Like a shit league two Parma. So like Parma.

Doesn't scream Port Vale, I'll give you that, but maybe that's not a bad thing?

36 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

Just a, somewhat arbitrary, different culture innit. For the upcoming game in Philadelphia the missus was trying to get me to buy snidey white tshirts off Amazon that basically just say Newcastle and have the crest on. The kind of shit some old maid sells on Etsy for $40. I tried to explain that the only way to make our friends appear like legitimate Newcastle fans is if they're wearing actual jerseys. So if you see a row full of bellends in snidey Amazon Newcastle tshirts, come say hi.

get iz a snidey Amazon t

It's completely written and made for the merchandising arm but i have to assume NFL and NBA jersey sales are pretty consistently high each year. 

In any case, feel like there needs to be a code between fans + club that shirt makers need to abide by ... like don't fuck with the traditional kit look, ie: the clubs need to promise to the fans that they'll MAKE the kit maker have the "standard" shirt design as agreed upon by the fans ie, for us its black & white stripes. No spikes, no blue weird pannels on them etc. The shirt will look generally like X and if there are variances, the fans must be consulted. Away maybe have 4-5 different color looks that are agreed upon by the fans too and then finally the third kits are up to the kit makers and club themselves with no restrictions. 

I'd be LIVID if we got the MIlan kit in black & white. Im sure everybody here would feel the same. 

1 hour ago, David Edgar said:

Fans aren't happy.

That's probably going to end up being one of the nicest kits of the 2023/24 season. It's class. 

Can see why they're not happy though, its not a Port Vale kit, though its better then this monstrosity form a few years ago:

E4A4Shnx64oyumr.jpg

2 hours ago, David Edgar said:

Fans aren't happy.

Stunning shirt, mind. Port Vale are one of those where their kit isn't really defined. Plain, coloured sleeves, stripes, Vs, etc. Seems a strange one to get annoyed about given that context and given how nice it is...

9 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Stunning shirt, mind. Port Vale are one of those where their kit isn't really defined. Plain, coloured sleeves, stripes, Vs, etc. Seems a strange one to get annoyed about given that context and given how nice it is...

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Port_Vale/Port_Vale.htm

That's a fair point, they've had all sorts since they moved away from white shirts/black shorts in the early 80s.

17 minutes ago, gdm said:

As a Scotsman, that’s the first time I’ve seen the Loch Ness kit (very nice) it’s also the first time I’ve ever heard of Loch Ness FC :lol:

It appears they just got promoted to the Highland League last season so one below the Football League. :lol: