Best Signing of the Last Decade

Greg
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another calendar year gone and another January transfer window open but who would you rate as our best signing of the last decade?

I've narrowed it down to 10 options in the poll (9 + other), feel free to suggest others.

Jonathan Woodgate

Signed from Leeds United by Sir Bobby Robson in January 2003 for a fee in the region of £9 million, a classy centre back who impressed straight away, one of the best centre backs I've seen in a black and white shirt. He managed only 28 league appearances in a season and a half before he was sold to Real Madrid in August 2004 for a fee in the region of £14 million. It turned out to be an decent deal due to his almost persistent injury problems.

Tim Krul

Signed by Graeme Souness in July 2005, who can forget his debut performance in the UEFA Cup away at Palermo? We were later ordered to pay a €220,000 compensation fee for stealing him from Ado Den Haag. Following loan spells at Falkirk, Carlisle United and the demise of Steve Harper he soon made himself #1 for club and now country, a great piece of business.

Sébastien Bassong

Signed by Kevin Keegan in July 2008 following a trial as the mystery number 46 in a pre season friendly at Doncaster, much to the amusement of the travelling support. A fee in the region of £500,000 followed as well as a very good first season in English football, a shining light as we were shamefully relegated to the Championship and he fucked off as soon as he could to sign for Spurs for £8 million. A rather large profit after 1 season, he's still not really been replaced and we could do with a player of his ability right now.

José Enrique

Signed in August 2007 by Fat Allardyce for £6.3 million but he hardly ever played him, or at least it seemed that way. Turned out to be an excellent left full back, the first time we had had one of those for a very long time. Sulked and refused to sign a new deal after 4 years and then was sold to Liverpool for a criminally low fee in the region of £7 million.

Fabricio Coloccini

Signed under Kevin Keegan in August 2008 for a fee in the region of £10 million, struggled in his first season but has since grown into the key player we all love now. Is allowed to sleep with any married woman in Newcastle upon Tyne.

Kevin Nolan

Signed by Joe Kinnear for around £4 million during that god awful season and from then to eventual relegation at Aston Villa he was appalling and looked like an unfit, fat, waste of money. Turned it around to be a key figure on and off the pitch in helping us to gain promotion by winning the Championship and scored another 12 goals to guide us to a comfortable mid table finish in our first season back in the Premier League. Sold to West Ham in June 2011 for a fee in the region of £3.5 million.

Hatem Ben Arfa

Initially signed on loam by Chris Hughton, a wonder goal at Everon and then a horror injury inflicted be De Jong of Manchester City resulting in a badly broken leg. The club showed a lot of faith in him to sign him on a permanent deal. One of the most talented in the game, a joy to watch, our most exciting player since Peter Beardsley.

Yohan Cabaye

A snip at a fee reported to be in the region of £5 million, a lovely passer of the ball and can really create things when played further up the pitch. Starting central midfielder for France at Euro 2012, currently injured and badly missed.

Demba Ba

Free transfer, lots of clauses, dodgy knees, annoying entourage/agents but he aint half bad at putting the ball in the back of the net. 29 league goals in 54 games to date, that's more than Michael Owen managed in 4 years.

I'm sick of typing now, god knows how HTT does those mega essays, could easily have included Papis Cisse, Jonas or even Wayne Routledge who played a key role in the second half of the Championship season to ensure promotion after he was signed during that January transfer window. Gaël Bigirimana and Vurnon Anita also signed during this period, early days at present but they both look like they could go on to excellent players for us for many years to come.

Thoughts? Oh and please vote. Anyone obvious I've completely forgotten about? Fees may not be entirely accurate but are based on a mix of nufc.com and wiki.

Im not sure a defence with Woodgate in it would have conceeded 11 in the last 2 games, the lad was special.

Hard to pick one really, seeing as none have lead to any success. Ba, possibly.

We'd have to go beyond best signing of the last 50 years to get any that lead to success!

Although I think he's been underpar this season, I'd be tempted to say Krul.

€220,000 for a keeper who could feesibly play 500 games for us.

I voted Krul.

From a financial point of view the Bassong deal was also unreal.

Im not sure a defence with Woodgate in it would have conceeded 11 in the last 2 games, the lad was special.

We'd have to go beyond best signing of the last 50 years to get any that lead to success!

fair point

Defence is a team game mate we could have put Prime Nesta in that back 4 in those 2 games we still would have shipped loads.

I had to go for Hatem for the pure excitement he can bring to a crowd when he gets the ball and is on form.

With the position the club has been in, in recent years, we had no right to expect to be able to sign a player of his level of ability.

I love him and am grateful that we have him.

Hard to decide but went for Krul as he was basically free.

Would've liked Bellamy and Robert on the list too but can't decide on whose place.

Neither were signed in the last decade.

Fair enough, just remembered they were signed 2001 and got my head messed up.

I had to go for Hatem for the pure excitement he can bring to a crowd when he get the ball and is on form.

With the position the club has been in, in recent years, we had no right to expect to be able to sign a player of his level of ability.

I love him and am grateful that we have him.

Aye, I think he's the one for me too. So special.

Honourable mention to Krul though, I think he can be our goalkeeper for the next decade and more.

Has to be Benny - probably the most gifted player I've seen wear the black and white shirt.

I'd throw Tiote onto that list - yes he's lost his way slightly but his 1st season was utter class.

Has to be Benny - probably the most gifted player I've seen wear the black and white shirt.

I'd throw Tiote onto that list - yes he's lost his way slightly but his 1st season was utter class.

We'd been crying out for a player like him for years too.

Guest nufc_89

Hatem Ben Arfa, not for what he has produced but for, as mentioned above, the excitment of watching him.  As a a supporter of Newcastle and football in general I enjoy watching every step he takes on the pitch.

Ben Arfa for me. If Woodgate had stayed and stayed fit then he could have been the one. We were a good team and he was the defensive missing piece. For those who didn't see him and for those who have seen Nufc for the last 40 idd years he was head and shoulders above any centre back we've had. He should have been England's main centre back for the next decade. What a waste.

Anyway; all the best.