Worst Signing of the Last Decade

Greg
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Owen could well be the twatest signing ever. But he's not the worst. 

I think worst incorporates a number of things. Owen had a negative impact on all levels of the club especially our finances.

Not on the pitch, he didn't. His record was decent enough.

We didn't really play Smith as a striker though, and he actually had some use in getting the club back to the Premier League. Luque cost a lot more and scored once in two years.

Luque could always have the injury/failure to adapt to English football as an excuse. Smith had none. I know he had that injury at Man Utd but we knew about that when he signed.

Owen could well be the twatest signing ever. But he's not the worst. 

I think worst incorporates a number of things. Owen had a negative impact on all levels of the club especially our finances.

Not on the pitch, he didn't. His record was decent enough.

Terrible captain, offered no leadership in the time we needed it most. If that's not a negative impact on the pitch then I don't know what is.

We didn't really play Smith as a striker though, and he actually had some use in getting the club back to the Premier League. Luque cost a lot more and scored once in two years.

Luque could always have the injury/failure to adapt to English football as an excuse. Smith had none. I know he had that injury at Man Utd but we knew about that when he signed.

I think if you asked Hughton his opinion on Smith he'd say his influence was vital in getting us back up, off the pitch in particular. Remember the Leyton Orient game, the aftermath of that really galvanised the club and who knows where we'd be without the likes of him and Nolan. He was a shocking player and cost us a lot of money, there's no doubt about that. I just think that he offered a lot more to the club than someone like Luque who cost even more and didn't give a fuck at all.

I'm going with Boumsong, basically because he was actually used, and constantly proved to be shite, in a position where his mistakes/shitness would cost us dearly.

Luque was the only competition IMO. Can't put Owen in the same bracket personally, as he did actually contribute to a decent whack of games.

Srnicek

Carr Boumsong Campbell Babayaro

Geremi  Faye  Duff

Xisco  Owen    Luque

Some class signings right there over the past decade. Imagine that wage bill :yao:

Have to say, I think you've gotten them mixed up here.

IIRC Allardyce gave Smith something like 28 starts up front (mostly Premiership games) before Keegan joined and dropped him straight away - Smith was probably one of the main reasons for Allardyce's undoing here, as he did absolutely sod all up front (bar one OK'ish game against Arsenal) and was essentially dragging the entire team down. The guy had plenty of chances for us, both up front and in midfield, but couldn't hide the fact that he was just a talentless footballer who had fooled his way into a lucrative career at the top levels after one small purple spell early on with Leeds.

Luque was the one who wasn't given a chance, and although in hindsight it was the right decision, at the time there were plenty on these forums pretty annoyed at how overlooked he was whilst he wasted away on the bench (and this was during Shola's absolute worst form for us).