Worst Signing of the Last Decade

Greg
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Owen could well be the twatest signing ever. But he's not the worst. 

I think worst incorporates a number of things. Owen had a negative impact on all levels of the club especially our finances.

This is the key factor. The other candidates didn't contribute very much. Owen actually had a negative effect.

Apart from the huge amount of money wasted that could have been spent elsewhere, managers were afraid to drop him because of his reputation. If his name had been Jack Smith he wouldn't have played in half the games that he did. Injuries had rendered him an ordinary player.

Owen actually had at least one positive impact in him actually.... and that's his goals. I don't know how anybody could deny that.

A big twat and a wanker? Yes, absolutely. But I'm not going let our hatred of him blind my judgement here.

Owen, decision exacerbated by witnessing the odious cunt drive in to SJP not with the team on the day we lost 1-0 to fulham pre relegation. Fuck the odious little cunt and everything the little shit stood for. A feeble excuse of a captain, and a joke in that relegation season.

Luque, Owen at least scored some goals and Smith had some use getting us up and wasn't all bad just mostly luque however was fucking useless on every level. Boumsong deserves a mention for being the absolute worst central defender I've seen at least while he was here (8 fucking million)

Owen scored 8 premier League goals in the season it mattered. 8. £17 million well spent . Don't buy the 'but he scored goals' excuse.

It was hardly solely up to him to keep us, was it? The whole team was pure shite that season.

Apart from Barton and Smith (Championship briefly), none of the players on that list actually consistently contributed anything positive while on the pitch.

I initially opted for Smith because he didn't really do anything on the pitch apart from a few "tackles" but tbf to him, he did do something useful off the pitch/in the dressing room. But having thought about it, Owen was by far the worst signing of the last decade, he didn't deliver when it mattered (the 08/09 season) and he completely abandoned us imo - he just gave up when the going got tough. Some captain he turned out to be. Owen basically epitomised what was wrong with the club at the time - overpaid s**** who couldn't give a f*** about the cause.

£17 million - what a f***ing waste of money.

Think the Owen one is harsh, despite the wages and transfer fee he was a quality finisher. If he didn't get that injury at World Cup 2006 he may have done much better here overall. Still, wages were fucking silly for him, but he was quite effective when he did play bar the final season. Still, he is an utter money grabbing little cunt overall, but when we bought him we were buying the real deal so to speak.

For me it's Luque. Not as much wages and transfer fee as Owen, but still very high amount. We got fuck all return from him in any real shape or form.

Smith was close in my mind, because he was so fucking useless in his final 2 years for us despite picking up £60k a week.

Think the Owen one is harsh, despite the wages and transfer fee he was a quality finisher. If he didn't get that injury at World Cup 2006 he may have done much better here overall. Still, wages were fucking silly for him, but he was quite effective when he did play bar the final season. Still, he is an utter money grabbing little cunt overall, but when we bought him we were buying the real deal so to speak.

For me it's Luque. Not as much wages and transfer fee as Owen, but still very high amount. We got fuck all return from him in any real shape or form.

Smith was close in my mind, because he was so fucking useless in his final 2 years for us despite picking up £60k a week.

He was fucking useless in all 5 of his sorry years at the club.