Newcastle United 1 - 2 Everton - 02/01/13 - post-match reaction from page 53

Dave

I think they mix it up quite well, they did play it up to Fellaini a fair bit but he's so good at bringing the ball down and others in to play, why wouldn't they? It's not like we've got many physical defenders that could have contained him.

I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, but the praise they've been getting isn't justified on the evidence of tonight IMO.

I thought they mixed it up well enough. Not a brilliant performance but a solid one, they were there for the taking defensively though and I think with a bit more of a Plan B, we'd have got something from the game.

we were there for the taking aswell, hence a very open game.

Of course, no denying that, but we had lost all shape and organisation by 75 minutes. I think if we'd have been a bit smarter we could have been more potent up front while having a little extra protection at the back too. Our manager isn't much of a thinker in such situations though.

:lol: Yous can have whatever opinion you like on us. My own opinion is calling us "long ball merchants" and "average" is incredibly petty and bitter, especially when the 2nd goal came about due to excellent passing and movement.

On the balance of chances in the game, a draw probably would've been fair, that can't really be denied.

I don't have any bad feelings towards Everton at all, but I was surprised how poor you were tonight. The gameplay seems to rely entirely on hitting Felliani with long passes and the odd set piece from Baines. Maybe it was just an off night, but I didn't see any reason to praise them except the result.

See, I thought we kept it on the ground just as much as we played it long. Osman, Pienaar, Fellaini, Baines in particular had some great exchanging of passes, the 2nd goal being the prime example, and also very late on when we kept the ball pretty well. Did we also play it long? You bet your bottom dollar we did and why not when Fellaini and Jelavic did such a good job of holding it up?

I don't think we were great mind, so I agree with you on that point.

I think you exploited your better players very well, and exposed our weaker areas effectively too. Pretty football or not, it was well done. And in all fairness there was some decent football on the counter as well.

I think they mix it up quite well, they did play it up to Fellaini a fair bit but he's so good at bringing the ball down and others in to play, why wouldn't they? It's not like we've got many physical defenders that could have contained him.

I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, but the praise they've been getting isn't justified on the evidence of tonight IMO.

I thought they mixed it up well enough. Not a brilliant performance but a solid one, they were there for the taking defensively though and I think with a bit more of a Plan B, we'd have got something from the game.

Maybe, IMO we played better on the deck than Everton and many people are criticising us for hoofing it too much. Obviously the result is what it is.

Disagree with this, though I suppose I'm bound to. Lost count of the amount of long balls whacked down the middle in the hope of Ameobi nodding it on - not that I disagree with the tactic because my word, with our defending I'd have probably done the same.

Guest firetotheworks

As a fan of a team that plays the long ball an awful lot, or at least did even more so until recently, I thought Everton played the long ball a lot. Almost all the time, unless there was a counter attack on, in fact. The difference being that they have they players to make it work. We did too when we had Carroll. Now we don't, so we should do it about once in every 20 times.

Krul- 7.5 Saved us from a drubbing, made some great saves. First goal he couldn't have done anything with.

Perch- 5 Looks completely lost as RB despite it being his supposed natural position. Think he's a CDM or nothing now

Williamson- 3 Abomination of a centre half scares me every time we're getting attacked at

Coloccini- 5 Looking lost lately, shadow of last season

Santon-6 Attacked well but bit suspect defensively. Should have squared that shot

Tiote-4 Annoyed me so much, loses the ball easily, stupidly goes into tackles

Anita-8 Our best player for me today. He's everywhere and has a brilliant eye for the pass

Marveaux- 7 Only creative outlet, says a lot about how much we're missing HBA and Cabaye

Shola- 5 Won a few headers, can't recall anything else bar being taken out by the ref.

Cisse 6 Was electric first half hour and was chuffed for him getting goal but he's not a winger in any sense and should go straight back in the middle from now on

Maybe, IMO we played better on the deck than Everton and many people are criticising us for hoofing it too much. Obviously the result is what it is.

I think we actually played it shorter than they did for the majority of the match but that's not really relevant to how they play overall, they do play to their strengths but aren't exclusively one style or another, I think there's a decent balance there.

Guest firetotheworks

Krul- 7.5 Saved us from a drubbing, made some great saves. First goal he couldn't have done anything with.

Perch- 5 Looks completely lost as RB despite it being his supposed natural position. Think he's a CDM or nothing now

Williamson- 3 Abomination of a centre half scares me every time we're getting attacked at

Coloccini- 5 Looking lost lately, shadow of last season

Santon-6 Attacked well but bit suspect defensively. Should have squared that shot

Tiote-4 Annoyed me so much, loses the ball easily, stupidly goes into tackles

Anita-8 Our best player for me today. He's everywhere and has a brilliant eye for the pass

Marveaux- 7 Only creative outlet, says a lot about how much we're missing HBA and Cabaye

Shola- 5 Won a few headers, can't recall anything else bar being taken out by the ref.

Cisse 6 Was electric first half hour and was chuffed for him getting goal but he's not a winger in any sense and should go straight back in the middle from now on

Williamson wasn't worse than Tiote, and that's really saying something as well.

Did he? He brings the ball forward as well as any full back in the league but once in the final third he's almost always crap. Not blaming him in particular mind, think it's more a consequence of how he's been utilised and how the rest of the side responds to his marauding runs.

One example would be the 2nd half where he went on a great run cutting inside, basically opening up the entire left hand channel. Yet Obertan just stood there gormlessly - he should've been bombing down the left which would help Santon double-fold by giving him an extra attacking passing option and would've dragged an Everton defender out of space to mark Obertan. These are the kind of basics our team consistently fails at doing.

Guest palnese

What Everton have is a brilliant mix of variety. They can go long, wide, through the middle, and they have the players to do so. They can hit you on the break with pace, or break you down through nice combination play or the physical attributes from the lads up front.

They've got a fantastic left side in Baines and Pienaar and two great target men in Fellaini and Jelavic  Osman is a very decent little player, matched with clever play from Neville.

They're a cracking side imo.

What Everton have is a brilliant mix of variety. They can go long, wide, through the middle, and they have the players to do so. They can hit you on the break with pace, or break you down through nice combination play or the physical attributes from the lads up front.

They've got a fantastic left side in Baines and Pienaar and two great target men in Fellaini and Jelavic  Osman is a very decent little player, matched with clever play from Neville.

I think we have cracking players too, just Moyes makes better use of the ones at his disposal.

I think we have cracking players too, just Moyes makes better use of the ones at his disposal.

:thup:

Guest palnese

Well, yes of course. We have the worst manager in the league. They have one of the best. That's the main difference.

Spot on.

Well, yes of course. We have the worst manager in the league. They have one of the best. That's the main difference.

Worth mentioning that Moyes also has to work on a very tight budget for those who like to put the blame at our spending policy. They've probably spent less than us in the last couple of years.

Baines shows how much difference a quality full back can make like which gives us hope that Debuchy can make a big difference.

He is fucking ridiculous. Only Van Persie can touch him for best left foot in the division. We talk about Everton and Fellaini but Baines is the man.

Baines shows how much difference a quality full back can make like which gives us hope that Debuchy can make a big difference.

He is f***ing ridiculous. Only Van Persie can touch him for best left foot in the division. We talk about Everton and Fellaini but Baines is the man.

Definitely, Fellaini is great and all but when i watch Everton Baines seems the main threat to me.

If Pardew managed Everton they'd probably line up:

Howard

Baines      Distin            Jagielka      Neville

Heitinga          Pienaar

Jelavic              Osman                Naismith

Fellaini

He is fucking ridiculous. Only Van Persie can touch him for best left foot in the division. We talk about Everton and Fellaini but Baines is the man.

Correct. Some of the attacking stuff we've seen from him in the past 2 years wouldn't be sniffed at by Barcelona imo. He's a playmaker from full-back.

Did he? He brings the ball forward as well as any full back in the league but once in the final third he's almost always crap. Not blaming him in particular mind, think it's more a consequence of how he's been utilised and how the rest of the side responds to his marauding runs.

One example would be the 2nd half where he went on a great run cutting inside, basically opening up the entire left hand channel. Yet Obertan just stood there gormlessly - he should've been bombing down the left which would help Santon double-fold by giving him an extra attacking passing option and would've dragged an Everton defender out of space to mark Obertan. These are the kind of basics our team consistently fails at doing.

Yeah i'd say he brought the ball up the pitch well and with a little movement around him, could have done something dangerous.

He is. But I still worry about our left side. We really needed a left back with decent delivery more than a right back since I'm pretty sure that Santon would be a lot more effective on the right.

Guest firetotheworks

Tbf, when that freekick went in, I think there might have been a few bits of "fair enough" applause from our fans, had their free kick not been so ridiculously given.

Guest palnese

Tbf, when that freekick went in, I think there might have been a few bits of "fair enough" applause from our fans, had their free kick not been so ridiculously given.

:lol:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-H2QIEO4-EpE/T7EgQd2a6wI/AAAAAAAABS0/mvw75LkK3R4/s1600/hmm-yes-quite.jpg

Correct. Some of the attacking stuff we've seen from him in the past 2 years wouldn't be sniffed at by Barcelona imo. He's a playmaker from full-back.

Been saying for a little while now but honestly, he is one of the best left backs in the world. I think it's hard to comprehend the notion of Everton having the best in the world at any position, but I'm struggling to think of many better.