Newcastle United 1 - 2 Everton - 02/01/13 - post-match reaction from page 53

Dave

Is anyone giving Everton any stick? They were good, 2nd half they made us look like rank amateurs.

They did their job very well - could've scored a bunch in the first half and didn't let us play one bit 2nd half. But their time wasting was monumentally irritating. They definitely look like a team that knows exactly what's expected of them though, and will do whatever they can to get the points.

:lol: Yous can have whatever opinion you like on us. My own opinion is calling us "long ball merchants" and "average" is incredibly petty and bitter, especially when the 2nd goal came about due to excellent passing and movement.

On the balance of chances in the game, a draw probably would've been fair, that can't really be denied.

:lol: Yous can have whatever opinion you like on us. My own opinion is calling us "long ball merchants" and "average" is incredibly petty and bitter.

Tis like. Not gonna suck you off but you're clearly a good side.

Also, don't understand our strategy when we have the ball. Even during a counter. We don't get the support needed. Too many players dropping back to give an option behind the ball rather than drawing opposition players and making space. Crosses are always from deep and rarely find a body in the box because we haven't got numbers in there. Man Utd are the classic example of generally having 4+ players in and around the box when a cross comes in: we always seem to rely on Cisse or whoever being a magician against 2/3 defenders. Similarly, when we lose the ball we don't press quick enough or in numbers. Too much pussyfooting. Everything is backing off and even then we don't pick up runners thereby giving the oppo the chance to pick out a pass into space or over the top. Basically shite.

Didn't get close to putting in a tackle or block that whole move for their second goal.

Small time of the Everton fans to chant Demba Ba's name. Scouse mackems.

Karma will bite their arses when they lose Fellaini and Baines.

Man City buying Jack Rodwell for £19m was so lucky.

More so than us getting £35m for Carroll? Only £15m anyway according to the rags.

We didn't have HBA/Ba at the time though. Imagine if they had Yaya and Fellaini in the centre instead of Barry/Rodwell :laugh:

:lol: Yous can have whatever opinion you like on us. My own opinion is calling us "long ball merchants" and "average" is incredibly petty and bitter, especially when the 2nd goal came about due to excellent passing and movement.

On the balance of chances in the game, a draw probably would've been fair, that can't really be denied.

Agreed, not sure about the draw bit. Think yous went a bit easy on us.

I don't have any bad feelings towards Everton at all, but I was surprised how poor you were tonight. The gameplay seems to rely entirely on hitting Felliani with long passes and the odd set piece from Baines. Maybe it was just an off night, but I didn't see any reason to praise them except the result.

Agreed, not sure about the draw bit. Think yous went a bit easy on us.

That's what got me so wound up watching it, it's like we just invited you on and I don't have a clue why. The Santon and Ameobi chances in particular in the 2nd half were as clear cut as they come; I'm very surprised you didn't score again.

I think they mix it up quite well, they did play it up to Fellaini a fair bit but he's so good at bringing the ball down and others in to play, why wouldn't they? It's not like we've got many physical defenders that could have contained him.

I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, but the praise they've been getting isn't justified on the evidence of tonight IMO.

i wouldn't call your lot long ball merchants and i agree with your assessment, i think shola should have had the pen though, tiote should have had a pen against him for the corner kick wrestle with naismith and howard could have conceded a pen for pushing cisse to  make space from a corner (it's amazing what you see watching a game on tele instead of being there)

I think they mix it up quite well, they did play it up to Fellaini a fair bit but he's so good at bringing the ball down and others in to play, why wouldn't they? It's not like we've got many physical defenders that could have contained him.

I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, but the praise they've been getting isn't justified on the evidence of tonight IMO.

I thought they mixed it up well enough. Not a brilliant performance but a solid one, they were there for the taking defensively though and I think with a bit more of a Plan B, we'd have got something from the game.

I don't have any bad feelings towards Everton at all, but I was surprised how poor you were tonight. The gameplay seems to rely entirely on hitting Felliani with long passes and the odd set piece from Baines. Maybe it was just an off night, but I didn't see any reason to praise them except the result.

See, I thought we kept it on the ground just as much as we played it long. Osman, Pienaar, Fellaini, Baines in particular had some great exchanging of passes, the 2nd goal being the prime example, and also very late on when we kept the ball pretty well. Did we also play it long? You bet your bottom dollar we did and why not when Fellaini and Jelavic did such a good job of holding it up?

I don't think we were great mind, so I agree with you on that point.

I thought they mixed it up well enough. Not a brilliant performance but a solid one, they were there for the taking defensively though and I think with a bit more of a Plan B, we'd have got something from the game.

we were there for the taking aswell, hence a very open game.

Do they have an overreliance on Fellaini?

Won 2 of the 3 games he was recently suspended for, and generally played very well against Chelsea in the other, don't think we deserved to get beat at all.

I don't see Everton as a long ball side at all, but the confusion might arise from the fact they play a high percentage of aerial passes into Fellaini and Jelavic. They may be directed to someone's head (or for the chest-down which they probably use more than anyone) but they're usually delivered from fairly advanced positions already.

Maybe, IMO we played better on the deck than Everton and many people are criticising us for hoofing it too much. Obviously the result is what it is.