Moussa Sissoko

Skeletor
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sissoko's game is all about the transition. Win the ball in midfield or attacking, get the ball to Moussa within 2-3 seconds while the other team is trying to get into position he will cause trouble.

Sissoko could do a good job for any type of "gegenpressing" or counter attacking team.

I fear SMC's style of play is the antithesis of Sissoko's. We'll look to have possession for possessions sake (hence Brothers Sideways in midfield).

You strike me as the kind of guy who serves guests their food on slates which 30mins before dinner were on your roof keeping you dry.

Obviously you drink out of jam jars and you sleep in a hammock above your unused double bed.

I bet that ponytailed fella with the small hat is you. Has to be.  :lol:

It's interesting that from the descriptions of it in this thread the example that sprung right to mind was Guardiolas Barcelona, which is referenced in that article, yet during the entire period they won everything doing it I never once heard it referred to as Gegenpressing.

Think it's been described that way of Dortmund. I'm guessing it's a German word.

I think gegen means against or anti. Think I've seen it used on posters in Germany saying 'gegen Nazis'.

Yes, taken literally it means 'against'

I'm gegen this bloody thread

'Gegenpressing' sounds like some inhumanly cruel thing the Germans did in Eastern Europe in the first half of the 1940s.

"18 August 1941: Sonderkommando S15 carried out gegenpressing operations in the Lvov area today" etc.

I appreciate it's a hipster football term and probably the sort of thing Jonathon Wilson shouts when he comes (into his own mouth), but if anyone ever used the term whilst talking to me about football, I'd immediately shed my pacifist credentials and kick them as hard as I could in the face.

(No offence to original poster, obvs).

Thing about gegenpressing is that it only works if the regista in your double pivot and the carrileros gegenpress together orherwise your false 9 and false 10 can be isolated, effectively becoming auxilary inverted wingers, and that's not good unless your tiki-taka is solid and your ball retainers can circulate posession quickly enough to avoid the gegengegengegenpress.

Reckon that's the kind of shit Pardew was always writing in his notebook...

Thing about gegenpressing is that it only works if the regista in your double pivot and the carrileros gegenpress together orherwise your false 9 and false 10 can be isolated, effectively becoming auxilary inverted wingers, and that's not good unless your tiki-taka is solid and your ball retainers can circulate posession quickly enough to avoid the gegengegengegenpress.

Reckon that's the kind of s*** Pardew was always writing in his notebook...

No fucking way.

"Keep it tight. Play it to Yohan. Play it to Loic. Magic. If that doesn't work, throw on Hatem. If that doesn't work throw on Left back. Blame all of them but Colo and Yohan."

That's all he knew.

Reckon that's the kind of s*** Pardew was always writing in his notebook...

No f***ing way.

"Keep it tight. Play it to Yohan. Play it to Loic. Magic. If that doesn't work, throw on Hatem. If that doesn't work throw on Left back. Blame all of them but Colo and Yohan."

That's all he knew.

Exactly.

The Pardew comparisons are hilarious. As if in a million years he ever talks about a footballing philosophy. At best he spoke of "front foot attacking football".. that's as thorough or in-depth as he ever tried. I'm sure that meant playing a high defensive line and giving his attacking players freedom. Dassit. And 9 times out of 10 it was "keep it tight... bit of magic..." as his default tactic. His only strengths as a manager is keeping enough players sweet when the going is good. Getting the best out of a few key players.

Nah, he probably had a little go on Football Manager and reckoned himself a proper footballing intellectual..

"You're a TREQUARTISTA, Shola, a TREQUARTISTA!"

"Err..."

"DO IT FOR THE FASNS, SHOLA!"

Shame he had Williamson set to be the playmaker... and the target man...

Whatever people think of him he's clearly ambitious. Give me a Sissoko who has aspirations to play at the top and has actually worked his way (French League, mid-table Premier League team....) up, over a Colback whose career highlight was being called up to a depleted England squad and content to plod along, any time.

A fair amount of players manage to use us as their filthy stepping stones without consistently being bellends tbf.

He's not that bad unless you insist on taking every quote and blowing it way out of proportion. I'm sure he'd like to be at a CL club like a lot of players, but he seems happy enough to be here until that opportunity arises.

Even Cabaye was a decent pro for the most part, he wanted a move to Arsenal, understandably enough considering we were going nowhere, and once it fell through, he rolled his sleeves up and put in a good shift for the rest of the season. You can't blame players for wanting to play for clubs who want to compete at the top level. Only shit players are happy to pick up wages for going nowhere a la Williamson & co.