Massadio Haïdara

Optimistic Nut

I hope they both play next Thursday like. Don't think Pardew will drop Simpson though after we've kept two clean sheets in Europe with him playing.

and to be fair he's played quite well.

I hope they both play next Thursday like. Don't think Pardew will drop Simpson though after we've kept two clean sheets in Europe with him playing.

Aye, however he obviously has no future here, while Santon and Haidara both do, and are IMO better full backs. I won't be on Pardew's back for playing Simpson next week, just saying that I personally wouldn't.

Aye, however he obviously has no future here, while Santon and Haidara both do, and are IMO better full backs. I won't be on Pardew's back for playing Simpson next week, just saying that I personally wouldn't.

I see it like we may as well use Simpson to give Santon a rest. Santon has played practically every game this season and will play many more for us for years to come hopefully.

Santon bashing seems to have gotten out of hand imo. He could do with a game or two out just so he doesn't feel too comfortable, but he's hardly been awful.

I don't think it's bashing when you show concern to the lads poor defensive play, especially when you consider he is a defender.

Call me old fashioned but i prefer my full back to be a good defender above all else, then you look for one who has good forward play too.

This - absolutely.

Santon bashing seems to have gotten out of hand imo. He could do with a game or two out just so he doesn't feel too comfortable, but he's hardly been awful.

I don't think it's bashing when you show concern to the lads poor defensive play, especially when you consider he is a defender.

Call me old fashioned but i prefer my full back to be a good defender above all else, then you look for one who has good forward play too.

This - absolutely.

Totally agree.

Have no idea where this lad came from, but his class, love him already :D

Just shows again that you can get cheap players that are really good, thinking that we have no excuses to buy some forwards and center backs in the summer. We just have to fill the squad out a bit.

Will be a class player.

Great buy this one - think he has great potential.  Amazing to think we have him and Santon pushing for LB, think it will drive them both to being better players. I would have no worries about him starting in the prem after keeping Eto pretty quite.

Would keep Simpson in the side for the second leg, keep the back four the same but Taylor in for Perchy. Give Santon his rest and Haidara a run out at St James.

Looks quality, good to have options at full back now, Santon now needs to really work hard or else this lad may take his place.

Looking forward to next season with the bigger squad we have.

Once again we have Gouffran, Debuchy, Santon, Jonas, Cisse? coming back for game against Stoke with Tiote not having played much.

If we want to be more effective as an attacking threat in the home leg i'd leave Haidara at LB and play Santon at RB. Instruct them to get some crosses in.

leave us really vulnerable to the counter attack

If we want to be more effective as an attacking threat in the home leg i'd leave Haidara at LB and play Santon at RB. Instruct them to get some crosses in.

leave us really vulnerable to the counter attack

Do it the SBR way, if one FB attacks, the other holds his position.

This - absolutely.

I disagree. The full back must have at least "fair" ball playing ability that will not disrupt the team's offense. Simpson / Debuchy is the best example.  Not to suggest Santon is preferred over Haidara but if the priority is "a good defender" over anything else then Simpson would be preferred over Debuchy which is obviously not the case.

I disagree. The full back must have at least "fair" ball playing ability that will not disrupt the team's offense. Simpson / Debuchy is the best example.  Not to suggest Santon is preferred over Haidara but if the priority is "a good defender" over anything else then Simpson would be preferred over Debuchy which is obviously not the case.

What?

You see, I disagree. Debuchy is at least as solid defensively as Danny when he's only 3 months into his PL career. He'll get better.

For me, the only reason why Cole is still #1 at LB for England is because he's superb defensively.

Guest WashyGeordie

We should be pushing Santon upto LM... He's ALOT better than Obertan!! (but then again you just have to simply pass a ball to be better than Obertan)

But if Haidara and Santon were on one side, and Debuchy - Marveaux (Ben Arfa?) was on the other, we'd be alot more effective on the counter, actually use the flanks, and have the right balance etc.