Massadio Haïdara

Optimistic Nut

Has this been posted?

However, the gloss was taken off the victory when former Barcelona youngster Gai Assulin was stretchered off  in the 90th-minute following a reckless tackle by Latics' Callum McManaman which led to his second yellow and resulting red card.

https://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Match-reports/2011/March/City-EDS-v-Wigan-Res

No malice eh?  :rolleyes:

Guest Phil K

Wow. Doesn't show Aussies as too clued up about football. Maybe they thought they were watching Aussie Rules watching McManaman ? Even there, that "tackle" would have caused a riot

What really upsets me about this is that he's a promising young lad who was really putting in a great shift for us and this potentially has derailed all of the momentum and positivity he was having about his own performances and joining this club.

These kind of challenges are disgusting. Clearly when a player is stretchered off b/c he's seriously injured the player involved in the challenge did something f***ing wrong. Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. Just like what happen to Ben Arfa man - if you're tackling someone so hard that you break their leg or knee, or cause ligament damage, you've clearly done something worth punishment.

Played football my entire life, you don't f***ing tackle like that - its not part of the game. Martinez and Whelan should be ashamed of themselves as their comments only continue to allow this type of stuff to be OK in the game.

(Clearly I like the word disgust today)

Has this been posted?

However, the gloss was taken off the victory when former Barcelona youngster Gai Assulin was stretchered off  in the 90th-minute following a reckless tackle by Latics' Callum McManaman which led to his second yellow and resulting red card.

Thrice now.

Has this been posted?

Thrice now.

My apoligies :thup:

Canny advertisement as to why Australia has no relevance in the football world, if that is representative of a wider view. Mind you Danny Tiatto was a cult figure, encapsulated the Socceroo's mongrel spirit.

They should know better, and be able to recognise a hatchet-job tackle when it's served up with the evidence pointing towards. In their major codes it's common practice (and easily identifiable) for somebody to take an opponent out.  There's usually an outcry (from Queenslanders, understandably too) when Jonathan Thurston is taken-out, by a NSW native in a league fixture, on the eve of a State of Origin fixture. Perhaps rugby league & Aussie rules supporters are more clued-in to the negative trends within their own codes than their a-league watching counterparts, and that's why Australian football (from top level, to grassroots level coaching) irrelevant in world football.

FA should always be able to give bans after seeing video evidence. The most ridiculous rule in the history of football is that if the referee saw it they can do nothing. Another ridiculous thing is you basically have to kill someone or make racist comments to ever get more than a 3 match ban. Football needs longer suspensions for these tackles and the player shouldn't get paid when they are suspended.

It wouldn't always be bad to take something from other sports. In NHL Brendan Shanahan (the Banhammer) releases a 5 minute video talking through every reason why the player is banned and for how long using slow-motion replays.

FA should always be able to give bans after seeing video evidence. The most ridiculous rule in the history of football is that if the referee saw it they can do nothing. Another ridiculous thing is you basically have to kill someone or make racist comments to ever get more than a 3 match ban. Football needs longer suspensions for these tackles and the player shouldn't get paid when they are suspended.

It wouldn't always be bad to take something from other sports. In NHL Brendan Shanahan (the Banhammer) releases a 5 minute video talking through every reason why the player is banned and for how long using slow-motion replays.

This is a complete myth by the way. They can do whatever they like, they just choose not to.

This is a complete myth by the way. They can do whatever they like, they just choose not to.

Doesn't change much. Why other sport's governing bodies are willing to help their referees using video evidence but FA choose not to.

Doesn't change much. Why other sport's governing bodies are willing to help their referees using video evidence but FA choose not to.

Because they're idiots.

I'm praying the lad is OK and we can just breath after all of this.

Would be brilliant if it isn't as bad as expected, can't see it as it was horrendous and he 'couldn't straighten his leg' (plus this is us) but hope for the best.

Guest koenji

Canny advertisement as to why Australia has no relevance in the football world, if that is representative of a wider view. Mind you Danny Tiatto was a cult figure, encapsulated the Socceroo's mongrel spirit.

Kevin Muscat too...fucking butcher

The FA will await referee Mark Halsey's match report before deciding what action, if any, to take against Wigan striker Callum McManaman.

Wigan's 2-1 victory over Newcastle was overshadowed by McManaman's high challenge on United left-back Massadio Haidara during the first half of Sunday's contest.

On-the-ball incidents cannot usually be dealt with retrospectively but if Halsey, who appeared unsighted, admits he did not see the incident, the FA has the power to investigate further.

The FA will view all available TV footage of the incident from the DW Stadium before any decision on whether to take any further action against McManaman.

France U21 international Haidara suffered potential knee ligament damage and the incident resulted in Newcastle assistant manager John Carver and Wigan coach Graham Barrow being sent to the stands as they clashed over the issue.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew said after the match: "It is an awful challenge. The pictures speak for themselves. I thought it was a bad challenge and I was 60 yards from the incident.

"The players knew because they were on top of it and there was a lot of bad feeling about that incident when it goes unpunished. He (Halsey) said 'If I've missed it I apologise' - that was at half-time."

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez defended the character of his player but admitted that it had looked a bad challenge.

He said: "I can't really comment too much because I haven't seen the action but I can guarantee that Callum McManaman is a young man full of talent and in his debut probably showed the enthusiasm that you expect, but he's not a malicious player."

It's bollocks really, why do they have to wait for his report, if he says he seen it but decided to do nothing...he wants shot.  And it's bollocks anyway because even if he did see it they should be able to over-rule it.  Bollocks again, absolute bollocks.

I think intent was to clear ball but momentum carried him into the planted leg. Not defending the result though, it was nasty.

You don't clear a ball like that.