Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa joins AS Roma then Lyon

KaKa

Got to start the next game in place of Taylor. If we'd have brought him on at half-time last night I'm sure that second half would have been nowhere near as horrible an experience to watch. Taylor is the exact opposite of a calming influence, he seems to panic when we're under pressure and that panic seems to spread out to the rest of the team, then we end up simply booting to ball up the pitch and straight back to the opposition for 45 minutes after a first half where the only thing we were booting was Villa's collective arse.

Got to start the next game in place of Taylor. If we'd have brought him on at half-time last night I'm sure that second half would have been nowhere near as horrible an experience to watch. Taylor is the exact opposite of a calming influence, he seems to panic when we're under pressure and that panic seems to spread out to the rest of the team, then we end up simply booting to ball up the pitch and straight back to the opposition for 45 minutes after a first half where the only thing we were booting was Villa's collective arse.

:thup:

Enough with the Taylor bashing.

People make him out to be a liability because they want Yanga-Mbiwa to play. I too want him ahead of Taylor, but I've seen Taylor labelled all sorts of things today. His performance yesterday wasn't below par as some seem to suggest and even if he's not the calming influence Coloccini is, his application and determination comes in very handy when we're under pressure.

And now he's being blamed for our hoofing too? Please.

People make him out to be a liability because they want Yanga-Mbiwa to play. I too want him ahead of Taylor, but I've seen Taylor labelled all sorts of things today. His performance yesterday wasn't below par as some seem to suggest and even if he's not the calming influence Coloccini is, his application and determination comes in very handy when we're under pressure.

Well said

He was poor last night and was absolutely dominated in the air by Benteke, if Williamson put in a similar performance you wouldn't hear the end of it.

He's not a lliability, far from it but he was poor last night and quite frankly Mbiwa is superior in almost every department.

There's no reason for him to start unless Colo or Mbiwa gets injured.

He was poor last night and was absolutely dominated in the air by Benteke, if Williamson put in a similar performance you wouldn't hear the end of it.

He's not a lliability, far from it but he was poor last night and quite frankly Mbiwa is superior in almost every department.

Benteke will dominate the majority of defenders in the air

People always say that Taylor makes some good last ditch tackles and blocks, without considering why he's having to make those kind of interventions. Quite a large part of the reason is because of the way he plays, he invites pressure by continually backing off and lets the opposition get forward into a dangerous position before doing anything about it. If he was more composed a la Coloccini then he would either intervene earlier in a position where even if he got it wrong and gave away either the ball or a foul it wouldn't matter much, or shepherd the opposition player away from danger, rather than letting them advance towards goal which is what he does normally. When we're on top of a game or it's pretty even it's not a huge deal because Colo's calming influence can win out, but when we're under concerted pressure in a game, like we were last night, his style of play doesn't alleviate that it amplifies it. I'm not blaming him for what happened last night, the whole team was panicking throughout the second half, not just him, what I'm saying is that I think Yanga-Mbiwa might have been able to calm the rest of them down, whereas Taylor's never going to be able to do that.

Don't get me wrong, he's not bad, but now that we have two good centre backs at the club, why would you play a not bad one ahead of them? I'm more than happy with his position at the club if as it seems is likely he's going to provide willing and able cover for Colo and Mapou, but if Colo goes in the summer then we absolutely must get someone else in to play in front of him and Williamson.

I think the fact he started last night had much more to do with things outside of pure footballing reasons than it did with putting out the best team available to us.

People always say that Taylor makes some good last ditch tackles and blocks, without considering why he's having to make those kind of interventions. Quite a large part of the reason is because of the way he plays, he invites pressure by continually backing off and lets the opposition get forward into a dangerous position before doing anything about it. If he was more composed a la Coloccini then he would either intervene earlier in a position where even if he got it wrong and gave away either the ball or a foul it wouldn't matter much, or shepherd the opposition player away from danger, rather than letting them advance towards goal which is what he does normally. When we're on top of a game or it's pretty even it's not a huge deal because Colo's calming influence can win out, but when we're under concerted pressure in a game, like we were last night, his style of play doesn't alleviate that it amplifies it. I'm not blaming him for what happened last night, the whole team was panicking throughout the second half, not just him, what I'm saying is that I think Yanga-Mbiwa might have been able to calm the rest of them down, whereas Taylor's never going to be able to do that.

Don't get me wrong, he's not bad, but now that we have two good centre backs at the club, why would you play a not bad one ahead of them? I'm more than happy with his position at the club if as it seems is likely he's going to provide willing and able cover for Colo and Mapou, but if Colo goes in the summer then we absolutely must get someone else in to play in front of him and Williamson.

I think the fact he started last night had much more to do with things outside of pure footballing reasons than it did with putting out the best team available to us.

most of the reason for the last ditch tackles are when someone breaks off someone else and taylor has had to cover. it's rarely the man he was marking that he has had to last ditch tackle and for what it's worth colo done little last night to alleviate any pressure, for all his composed nature he wasn't any better than taylor.

Benteke dominated Taylor? What rubbish!

Colo wasn't better? :lol:

i realise thats the default setting for everyone but no he wasn't, both had little to do in the first half and looked ropey in the second.

I don't use these so called 'default settings'. Colo wasn't at his very very best, but still better than Taylor, in my non default setting opinion.

most of the reason for the last ditch tackles are when someone breaks off someone else and taylor has had to cover. it's rarely the man he was marking that he has had to last ditch tackle and for what it's worth colo done little last night to alleviate any pressure, for all his composed nature he wasn't any better than taylor.

Yeah, like I said, they were all shit in the second half, including Colo, but he's not usually like that, is he, and I haven't just come to this conclusion after watching last night's game, you know.

As for the last ditch tackles, well that may be so, but notice how often it's Taylor standing a metre or two behind the rest who's playing them onside in the first place. More often than not that's exactly what happens.

Yeah, like I said, they were all s*** in the second half, including Colo, but he's not usually like that, is he, and I haven't just come to this conclusion after watching last night's game, you know.

As for the last ditch tackles, well that may be so, but notice how often it's Taylor standing a metre or two behind the rest who's playing them onside in the first place. More often than not that's exactly what happens.

and taylor isn't usually shit either.

the last ditch tackles bit is getting silly now. someone's mentioned he makes decent last ditch tackles and you can't deny it so you are trying to find ways to make it negative.

Colo wasn't better? :lol:

i realise thats the default setting for everyone but no he wasn't, both had little to do in the first half and looked ropey in the second.

I don't use these so called 'default settings'. Colo wasn't at his very very best, but still better than Taylor, in my non default setting opinion.

i couldn't put one above the other, neither had what you'd call a good game, neither gave confidence to the rest of the team, both looked shaky. all thats missing now is for the call that colo was shaky because of having taylor alongside him.