Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa joins AS Roma then Lyon

KaKa

Taylor's fairly quick compared to a lot of the centre halves playing in the league.

Right now he's playing a lot better than Coloccini, so if you were going to drop one it's a no brainer, no?

Colo's captaincy has to play into that eh?

Not that I'd mind seeing Cabaye take the armband

Pardew doesn't want to chop and change centre back partnerships, which imo isn't completely unreasonable, are people assuming it's cos this guy is no good? Blimey. It's a bit of a puzzle atm but if Mbiwa proves that he is up to pace I wouldn't mind him replacing either Colo or Saylor to inject some pace into the back two. It will be Saylor less to do with performances but out of Colo's track record and because he's our leader on the pitch. (Albeit palpably Cabaye is starting to act as it, witness him dragging Jonas back to the ref the other day)

The puzzle is who he'll replace not why he's not played, should have specified

:thup:

As others have said, with Colo very likely away in the summer it would make sense for him to drop down.

That said Taylor is always likely to pick up a knock so it might not be such an issue.

Thought Colo was class today apart from the second goal.

What about the first?

Silly but that stuff happens all the time. The second was a real let down though.

The first goal conceded belongs to Perch. Bale should never have gotten away with that bullshit kick. Even if Perch had stood on his toes he'd have blocked that shot. Instead it goes straight over his head and he turns to watch it, disgusting on the replay. Also for Colo's part it's the kind of foul you see day in and day out and that's why we form a f***ing wall in the first place.

Second goal is down to Colo and Taylor both, imo, Colo blew it to begin with but its no good when you have a situation where it's 100% certain that a centerback can't track back and at least pressure a forward who's got behind. Colo left Taylor out to dry, but god damn a CB with a shred of pace could have at least made Bale sweat a bit on the shot.

Overall I'd like to see us phase Colo and Taylor both out. Both players are nearing the end of their peak abililities and while I have a lot of love for both players and they have both been great servants for the club, it is time to start looking toward replacements. Hopefully Mbiwa is the business and we can blood him in and bring in another hungry young CB behind him in the next year or two.

Taylor turned 27 about 3 weeks ago :lol: and is finally showing himself to be a good defender.

Finally ? I really struggle to remember his last poor game. defensivly he's been as good as colo, he's just not as good with the ball at his feet, but few are.

Guest tollemache

Villa was his last poor game.

i disagree.

You can concentrate on the fact that his distribution wasn't very good (same with all of his teammates, funnily enough), or you can say that he was put under insane pressure for a very large chunk of that game and produced some excellent backs-to-the-wall defending when it would've been very easy to crumble.

Taylor was great against Chelsea and Spurs but i agree with Tooj i think he was poor against Villa, if Benteke's finishing was any better we would have lost that game and Taylor lost him on the ground and in the air time and time again.

A lot of that was to do with how we set up in the 2nd half but none the less he still struggled.

i disagree.

You can concentrate on the fact that his distribution wasn't very good (same with all of his teammates, funnily enough), or you can say that he was put under insane pressure for a very large chunk of that game and produced some excellent backs-to-the-wall defending when it would've been very easy to crumble.

I wasn't concentrating on his distribution it was the fact he let Benteke slip away from him several times and if Benteke's finishing was better that day we could've lost that game.

He was much better against both Chelsea and Tottenham though. If he keeps up his current level of form he'll be deserving of an England call-up, especially if the likes of Shawcross keep on getting called up.

i disagree.

I wasn't concentrating on his distribution it was the fact he let Benteke slip away from him several times and if Benteke's finishing was better that day we could've lost that game.

He was much better against both Chelsea and Tottenham though. If he keeps up his current level of form he'll be deserving of an England call-up, especially if the likes of Shawcross keep on getting called up.

Don't think he was that poor against Villa. However, judging his performance that day, whatever you may think of it; it was his first game back after being out for a long time.

Taylor was great against Chelsea and Spurs but i agree with Tooj i think he was poor against Villa, if Benteke's finishing was any better we would have lost that game and Taylor lost him on the ground and in the air time and time again.

First start in months tbf. Benteke's also a beast. For a CB, Taylor's pretty quick.

Real pace gives any defender problems but Colo is especially slow. Ba's no slouch but the way he tore into Colo for his injury chance was a bit scary like.

Colo's been poor defensively this season. As bad as Williamson imo, just been excellent on the ball. Can attribute at least 5-6 goals conceded to some bad defending on Colo's part really.

:lol:

Directly at fault for both goals on the weekend. Being powder puff against Stoke and getting beat in the air by Rodallega stick out in my mind as well as a stupid red card.

First start in months tbf. Benteke's also a beast. For a CB, Taylor's pretty quick.

Real pace gives any defender problems but Colo is especially slow. Ba's no slouch but the way he tore into Colo for his injury chance was a bit scary like.

He's not particularly quick but one of his problems has always been a lack of agility so he's quite slow when people turn him.

He's faster than Both Willo & Colo and has played a good period of his career at fullback and was rarely caught for pace. Don't think Simmo is any faster either.

Agreed with lack of agility on the turn. Willo & Colo also suffer from that. Colo tends to get too tight and thus turned too easily where as with Taylor his reading of the game lets him down and he's half a moment behind play too often. Willo's lanky so obviously he can't turn fast.