Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa joins AS Roma then Lyon

KaKa

Getting way too much stick off the lads at work saying hes s**** and should get rid. Ridiculous really.

:scared:

Man I hate that mentality. 'He's shit' been here half a season. Is young and will improve.

I remember people saying roughly the same about De Gea

The majority of football fans are thick as fuck like.

Getting way too much stick off the lads at work saying hes s**** and should get rid. Ridiculous really.

Man I hate that mentality. 'He's s***' been here half a season. Is young and will improve.

Think it was Souness (or some other shit Sky pundit) who said 'even his shirt drowns him, he doesn't look physical enough for this league'  :iamatwat:

Guest icemanblue

Man I hate that mentality. 'He's s***' been here half a season. Is young and will improve.

Think it was Souness (or some other shit Sky pundit) who said 'even his shirt drowns him, he doesn't look physical enough for this league'  :iamatwat:

Which Man Utd's goalkeeping coach agreed with. No shocks that he's improved after the strength work he was told to focus on.

Guest icemanblue

Think it was Souness (or some other s*** Sky pundit) who said 'even his shirt drowns him, he doesn't look physical enough for this league'  :iamatwat:

Which Man Utd's goalkeeping coach agreed with. No shocks that he's improved after the strength work he was told to focus on.

His shot stopping was clearly high level, the mistakes were just nervousness. He's hardly the biggest now . He was clearly a class act IMO, pundits/fans writing him off was ridiculous

Shot stopping isn't everything. Read the comments made by their coach at the time. He was, rightly, being targeted because he could not dominate his area. A lot of his 'mistakes' came from this extra attention. I can't remember too many writing him off either. Rightly, most people said he needed to improve physically. He's done that now, and looks top class across the board.

Think it was Souness (or some other s*** Sky pundit) who said 'even his shirt drowns him, he doesn't look physical enough for this league'  :iamatwat:

His shot stopping was clearly high level, the mistakes were just nervousness. He's hardly the biggest now . He was clearly a class act IMO, pundits/fans writing him off was ridiculous

Aye this, writing him off in this league after a couple of month simply because of his strength. It's not like something like that couldn't be worked on in time, and like you say he's still not the biggest, just more confident. Best keeper in the league imo, think he's excellent.

Guest icemanblue

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/28/david-de-gea-manchester-united

Yet Steele, an almost paternal figure for De Gea, openly admits the goalkeeper has had considerable issues at Old Trafford. "His first six months were horrendous," he says. "One issue with him was that he was just 71 kilos. We worked with him on and off the field to make him more powerful. We changed his lifestyle. He would finish training and want to go home. When I told him to come back in the afternoon he'd ask: 'Why?'

"There were lifestyle issues. He'd sleep two or three times a day. He'd have his main meal late at night. He'd eat too many tacos. We pushed protein drinks on him straight after training. We physically made him drink. We had him in the gym a lot. He hated it. They don't do the gym in Spain as much. We needed to build his core strength."

You lads would know better, though, obviously.

Guest icemanblue

To say he's better now because he bulked up is reductionist and untrue. He's hardly ripped now. It was an easy stick to beat him with at the time. He's improved as he's grown used to the league and is less nervous

#reductionist.

Guest icemanblue

Core strength is completely different than packing on the muscles. Some of our players are muscular but lack the attributes associated with high core strength.

:thup: It is.

On the contrary, these days there is a clear reluctance to push players towards building upper body muscles because it results in more weight and less pace. There is more emphasis placed on abdominal, back and leg muscles because these are bigger factors in succeeding. So it's baffling when I see players like Williamson having big biceps, which results in him being slower than before. Our conditioning team don't seem to know what they're doing. Same with Ben arfa whose biceps are bigger, Obertan likewise, Cabaye too and Tiote as well. It's old fashioned and out of date.

I mean, Cabaye gets pushed off the ball everytime he's challenged so what's the point of jacking up his upper body. Better to focus on him being lean and quicker so he's able to escape instead of having to compete physically. Same with Tiote, who's too slow to get close to other midfielders. Better him being leaner and quicker so he can cover more space and escape from pressure when he has the ball. Being slow today is a death sentence and yet we have players today who are slower than when they first joined us, just incomprehensible.

Guest icemanblue

Must remind myself not to engage with people who use hash tags ironically.

That, and not getting engaged in poorly thought out debates, based entirely on opinion.

Taylor is far too jacked. He's been too jacked for a few years now but it's probably part of why he's so slow to turn.

He's also naturally very wide and barrel-chested. I don't think his size is entirely down to strength training, he's just a big lump.

Taylor is far too jacked. He's been too jacked for a few years now but it's probably part of why he's so slow to turn.

He's also naturally very wide and barrel-chested. I don't think his size is entirely down to strength training, he's just a big lump.

I doubt he is very toned, maybe more gym work for Taylor could help, leaner but stronger.