Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

Guest Gino14

It's one of the big thing we always suffer from, perception from the outside that we expect league titles and because we can't get that short term, we should just be happy with where we are. Long term you never know what can happen. I doubt Man City were sat in league one thinking they'd have the title in a few years. It can happen with the right owner and okay that's not many owners.

The important part of Sport at any level is to perform to your absolute best, to always improve and look forward to better. The point is never just to exist. That's the absolute antithesis of Sport. All any reasonable Newcastle fan I've spoken to expects is for us to try and gradually improve. We finished 10th last year and could have done better, so this year we look to finish at least higher than that and hopefully improve the woeful entertainment level served up. Is that such a giant expectation? A decent manager and a reasonable spend and we'd be top 8 in this league every year without a doubt. The standard is awful in the league below that level. Do it right and the football would be good too or at least better. If we did that, some years we'd challenge above that level and we could dream of better.

Ashley is a nightmare owner because he actively dampens the dreams a football club is all about. He doesn't want cup runs and he doesn't want us to finish too high in case expectations get higher. What sort of rubbish is that to aim for? Pardew was the mouth piece for that and it's a big thing I wouldn't be looking for in whoever we get next. I'd like to think we might get a coach and a change of direction that allows us all to dream of better. Not dreaming of anything ridiculous, just simple gradual improvement at every level, until maybe we reach a level to dream of more. I just doubt Ashley will ever allow that under his rule.

If we get a good manager. I think people would be genuinely surprised at how good we could still do, even with MAs policy.

Really hope we can somehow pull it off. The good manager that is.

Nah he needs to spend what we earn for it to be workable, we've about 60m sitting around that should be spent

Best case likely scenario on the manager front for me is that we hire someone used to working in the whole "Head Coach" role, who has a strong enough personality that they can agree with the transfer structure, whilst also expressing their opinion that there is little need to actively ruin our cup chances. And perhaps showing that over time we can use this structure to build, rather than 1 step fwd 1 step back, we go wild and try 2 steps fwd, before taking the inevitable step back on the lucrative sale of our best player.

You'd have to be mad to genuinely want to come and work for this shower.

No say in transfers

Low wage (in relation to prem manager wages)

Remit.......not to win things :lol:

I mean honestly ffs

The supposed 3 candidates deal with the first two points anyway. People may not realise this but outside of England it's quite common place to have no say in transfers and not spend billions.

Bit of a pointless exercise lots of this. What is the point of banners of Ashley out of our club etc.......He bloody owns it and will do whatever he wants, it is his club not ours. He will select a manager that suits his needs and future plans. Football has changed, managers do not exist in the old sense, they are now coaches. The people above choose who to buy, who to sell then it is up to the coach to get the best out of those players in terms of results and hopefully increase their value so that they can be sold at a profit. Probably the last manager I remember being given cart blanch to buy and sell was David O'Leary at Leeds. Bought a team to win the champions league and it totally backfired, a disaster they have yet to recover from.

The whinging on here about us selling our best players and so on makes us look an absolute joke, did Manu not sell their best player Ronaldo, Liverpool and Suarez, Spurs and Bale? It goes on all the time because it is a business, it is not run to satisfy the whims of deluded supporters and the sooner we realise and accept that the better.

Before you start to bleat, I am not new to this forum and I have supported Newcastle for over 60 years.

This is very terrible.

:lol:

Its got the lot.

The holy trinity: deluded, Leeds and pitiful acceptance of fans not having any say whatsoever. Genius.

It needed a Portsmouth for a full house but not a bad effort. B+

Long time lurker and even longer fan but i agree with these points. Why does any fan think they can change MA? And tbh - why would they? Simple question - what do you guys want? I agree ambition in the cups would be my no.1 but aside from that i would rather him as an owner than 90% of the other owners. I'd love ambition but realistically there is a limited amount of people who can spend unlimited money on players these days - Man Utd try to win the title and spend £150mill or so and are still no-where near. Football has lost its soul and we aren't the only fans suffering.

PS - my choice for manager - still Steve Mac. Top coach and will get the best out of our youngsters which is the one thing i still enjoy most.

Spending 150 million and trying to win the title is now a bad thing?

Can't believe it's been this f***ing easy for t***s like MA to get all the simpleton fans to think that all they can expect of a team is to exist. What the f*** is the point in supporting NUFC if this is the case? What the f*** is the f***ing point.

Meh - no need to get angry and call me simple. What other team is different? Its how football is these days - at least we have exciting talent like Aarons.

There is a point-  its supporting a local team. The biggest pride to me has been seeing our players represent their countries and i hope our new manager can help develop local talent.

Exciting talent like Aarons - aye, and how long will he be a Newcastle player? Will you be as proud when him and Perez are doing their stuff elsewhere this time next year? Never mind though, eh, cos we'll have launched their top-flight careers and paid a bit more of the interest off Ashley's loan for him into the bargain, so all good?

Jesus wept, you'd have LOVED being a Newcastle fan in the 80s. Had we all been as fulfilled by seeing other clubs rape us for our young talent, the McKeags would now still be in charge and we'd be constantly looking over our shoulders in the Championship. As it was, we fought for change, and look what followed.

It's one of the big thing we always suffer from, perception from the outside that we expect league titles and because we can't get that short term, we should just be happy with where we are. Long term you never know what can happen. I doubt Man City were sat in league one thinking they'd have the title in a few years. It can happen with the right owner and okay that's not many owners.

The important part of Sport at any level is to perform to your absolute best, to always improve and look forward to better. The point is never just to exist. That's the absolute antithesis of Sport. All any reasonable Newcastle fan I've spoken to expects is for us to try and gradually improve. We finished 10th last year and could have done better, so this year we look to finish at least higher than that and hopefully improve the woeful entertainment level served up. Is that such a giant expectation? A decent manager and a reasonable spend and we'd be top 8 in this league every year without a doubt. The standard is awful in the league below that level. Do it right and the football would be good too or at least better. If we did that, some years we'd challenge above that level and we could dream of better.

Ashley is a nightmare owner because he actively dampens the dreams a football club is all about. He doesn't want cup runs and he doesn't want us to finish too high in case expectations get higher. What sort of rubbish is that to aim for? Pardew was the mouth piece for that and it's a big thing I wouldn't be looking for in whoever we get next. I'd like to think we might get a coach and a change of direction that allows us all to dream of better. Not dreaming of anything ridiculous, just simple gradual improvement at every level, until maybe we reach a level to dream of more. I just doubt Ashley will ever allow that under his rule.

Agree totally,

Although the problem isn't unique to NUFC - how many clubs want their owners out? TBH - im not fussed about 150mill spent on players. I'd rather see the players i care about given a chance. Sissoko got stick about a year ago and now he is indispensable apparently.

For me the only way to make english football great again is to give a CL place to the FA winners. That will force chairman like MA's hand.

Guest Gino14

Agree totally,

Although the problem isn't unique to NUFC - how many clubs want their owners out? TBH - im not fussed about 150mill spent on players. I'd rather see the players i care about given a chance. Sissoko got stick about a year ago and now he is indispensable apparently.

For me the only way to make english football great again is to give a CL place to the FA winners. That will force chairman like MA's hand.

For me it would be a great idea to give a champions league place to the FA Cup, but I thought about it and realised the money in the premiere league would mean they would never allow the FA to do that. It's sad that the game is so money driven now. It's a closed shop until someone busts it open with even more money. People will cite Athletico but they're an absolute exception really rather than the rule. One good season from them and Real and Barca have quickly gone and spent even more money to ensure it doesn't happen again. If only our own billionaire wasn't quite so tight, at least we'd have a shot at improving.

Guest chicken little

For me the only way to make english football great again is to give a CL place to the FA winners.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/Winners_Dont_Use_Drugs.png

Guest antz1uk

Bit of a pointless exercise lots of this. What is the point of banners of Ashley out of our club etc.......He bloody owns it and will do whatever he wants, it is his club not ours. He will select a manager that suits his needs and future plans. Football has changed, managers do not exist in the old sense, they are now coaches. The people above choose who to buy, who to sell then it is up to the coach to get the best out of those players in terms of results and hopefully increase their value so that they can be sold at a profit. Probably the last manager I remember being given cart blanch to buy and sell was David O'Leary at Leeds. Bought a team to win the champions league and it totally backfired, a disaster they have yet to recover from.

The whinging on here about us selling our best players and so on makes us look an absolute joke, did Manu not sell their best player Ronaldo, Liverpool and Suarez, Spurs and Bale? It goes on all the time because it is a business, it is not run to satisfy the whims of deluded supporters and the sooner we realise and accept that the better.

Before you start to bleat, I am not new to this forum and I have supported Newcastle for over 60 years.

It's "carte blanche" not "cart blanch" jackyboy. You're missing a couple of "e's".

Maybe you swallowed them before posting.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If we get a good manager. I think people would be genuinely surprised at how good we could still do, even with MAs policy.

Really hope we can somehow pull it off. The good manager that is.

Nah he needs to spend what we earn for it to be workable, we've about 60m sitting around that should be spent

Best case likely scenario on the manager front for me is that we hire someone used to working in the whole "Head Coach" role, who has a strong enough personality that they can agree with the transfer structure, whilst also expressing their opinion that there is little need to actively ruin our cup chances. And perhaps showing that over time we can use this structure to build, rather than 1 step fwd 1 step back, we go wild and try 2 steps fwd, before taking the inevitable step back on the lucrative sale of our best player.

:thup: Basically like Porto, Benfica et al often sell best players and then reinvest and still compete.

SEM' is 100% spot on. That's my feeling and has been for some time.  This Europa nonsense IMO was purely from AP, this cup nonsense was probably another excuse from AP and the like. A good manager  could show by results and change Mike Ashley's mind, IMO. We just had the biggest over-inflated-ego / crap manager who couldn't do a decent job in charge of our club at a time when we were pulling out transfer coups 1 by 1.

Interesting on Garde when he was a contender for spurs earlier in 2014 http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnation.com/2014/5/14/5716440/remi-garde-tottenham-hotspur-manager

Wot.

"He's won a couple of cup competitions, but not had a whole lot of success in Europe (26-9-9) with this best finish being the last 16 of the 2011/12 Champions League (or the quarterfinals of this season's Europa League, whichever you think is more impressive)."

Sounds impressive to me.

For me the only way to make english football great again is to give a CL place to the FA winners.

Not even sure what this means?

I think the implication is you were on drugs when you made that post or have diminished cognitive abilities due to sustained drug use over the years.

It's "carte blanche" not "cart blanch" jackyboy. You're missing a couple of "e's".

Maybe you swallowed them before posting.

:lol: Wonderful

I think the implication is you were on drugs when you made that post or have diminished cognitive abilities due to sustained drug use over the years.

Thanks,

I haven't. Just thought other opinions may be valued.

Be nice if a different opinion on this site didn't draw abuse but discussion instead.

Hate shit like that. You've been a member since 2012. There's been plenty of discussion since then, and before. Are you seriously expecting people to go over old ground about why they think Mike Ashley is not running NUFC in the way it should be run? It's a drum most people have banged consistently since September 2008.

Since you registered on this site, you've seen the team/club lose far more matches than it has won, concede far more than it has scored, lose four consecutive derbies, deliberately get knocked out of cup competitions, deliberately decrease club revenues to benefit an external company, sell top class players without replacing them, publicly admit it won't try and win anything or attempt to qualify for Europe and come within 90 minutes of being relegated again.

But you want to have a discussion, 8 years after he took over, about your view that we have an owner better than 90% of those in English football? If anyone bothers, they've got a far higher tolerance for nonsense than I have.

Thanks,

I haven't. Just thought other opinions may be valued.

Be nice if a different opinion on this site didn't draw abuse but discussion instead.

That's the thing: the issue was discussed to death and collectively, the majority of us, moved onto a more logical, rational place, together. It's like civil rights or gay marriage. If you don't participate in the public dialogue when the struggle is actually going on, and then come by swinging your dick 2 years after saying "oh hoy hoy, what's all this gay marriage malarkey? marriage is between man and woman! why can't we just discuss this?" People will laugh you out of town.

That's what you're doing right now.