Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

I remember the days of Boro fans hounding McClaren for the s**** football and results. The UEFA Cup run made him look a lot better than he was to outsiders.

I don't want any manager who has been hounded out for shocking flaws in this league with average clubs.

Bruce chased out of Sunderland, Pulis out of Stoke, Sherwood out of Spurs.

We sit here laughing at Palace fans and people are content with managers who have been berated just as Pardew has been on here.

Inevitably the same problems show, Pardew at West Ham and here, Bruce at Sunderland and Hull etc

:clap:

McClaren has a history of failure in his career and I don't want another manager like that.

He has a league title under his belt  :lol:

So did Dalglish in a better league.

At Middlesbrough he was hated by the fans

Ran out of the England job failing to even qualify for Euro 2008

Failed at Wolfsburg

Failed at Forest

But aye he'll be fine here.

I get what you are saying….but it's about the best of a bunch.  Out of Sherwood, Carver, McCoist, etc….I'd have McCLaren.  Sadly the likes of De Boer, Laudrup, even Tuchel are pie in the sky.  IMO we'd be lucky to get McClaren.

Sherwood is the best of that lot. He is a positive, attacking manager and he gained a very decent points total at Spurs. Certainly not an inspiring choice but he's also not got a proven record of failure in his career yet.

I remember the days of Boro fans hounding McClaren for the s**** football and results. The UEFA Cup run made him look a lot better than he was to outsiders.

I don't want any manager who has been hounded out for shocking flaws in this league with average clubs.

We sit here laughing at Palace fans and people are content with managers who have been berated just as Pardew has been on here.

Inevitably the same problems show, Pardew at West Ham and here, Bruce at Sunderland and Hull etc

McClaren has a history of failure in his career and I don't want another manager like that.

Failed at Wolfsburg

Failed at Forest

I get what you are saying….but it's about the best of a bunch.  Out of Sherwood, Carver, McCoist, etc….I'd have McCLaren.  Sadly the likes of De Boer, Laudrup, even Tuchel are pie in the sky.  IMO we'd be lucky to get McClaren.

Sherwood is the best of that lot. He is a positive, attacking manager and he gained a very decent points total at Spurs. Certainly not an inspiring choice but he's also not got a proven record of failure in his career yet.

eh? so you'd have sherwood over mccalren for his 5 months at spurs?

Don't Derby play fairly attractive football? It's possible that his style may have altered over the last decade.

There's that as well :lol: I can't really say I know if it has but I'm going to guess he learnt quite a lot working abroad.

He's not my first choice by any means but I wouldn't be unhappy with him at all.

Failed at Wolfsburg

Failed at Forest

Yes though I wouldn't be going near either.

Do Derby & Twente fans hate him? Don't think the Boro fan hatred is necessarily widespread either. He's a perfectly competent manager and has evidenced it on a number of occasions. Would accept.

Well, if you think he's decent I think that goes a long way to making the rest of our minds up.

Guest firetotheworks

I think the general concensus amongst Boro fans is that his football, at the very least, was boring as f***. Something i'm not too willing to put up with after 4 years of Alan Pardew.

Might want to speak to some derby fans then, they reckon its mint.

League below us and the Dutch League. We played relatively good football at the end of the season in the Championship, we all know how shoddy the quality was down there. I'd have to see him doing the same at this level for it to be anything other than a sidenote.

Of course managers can improve though, that's what they're meant to do.

Failed at Wolfsburg

Failed at Forest

i dont think anybody would in an ideal world tbf.

I'm still in the 'well im glad he's not pardew' phase, not sure it'll ever wear off tbh!

I've always been of the opinion that when it comes to picking a manager, you should pretty much ignore cup competitions. They're simply not a good indicator of whether a manager can sustain consistent results and performances.

I think the general concensus amongst Boro fans is that his football, at the very least, was boring as f***. Something i'm not too willing to put up with after 4 years of Alan Pardew.

League below us and the Dutch League. We played relatively good football at the end of the season in the Championship, we all know how shoddy the quality was down there. I'd have to see him doing the same at this level for it to be anything other than a sidenote.

I wont expect to see you mention Eddie Howe as a good option then?

Failed at Wolfsburg

Failed at Forest

I'm still in the 'well im glad he's not pardew' phase, not sure it'll ever wear off tbh!

I have my heart set on a foreign manager. There isn't a single English option that gets me excited and I don't do 'Well he's the least worst I guess'. I just can't, sorry.

I've always been of the opinion that when it comes to picking a manager, you should pretty much ignore cup competitions. They're simply not a good indicator of whether a manager can sustain consistent results and performances.

probably fair comment.

Failed at Wolfsburg

Failed at Forest

I have my heart set on a foreign manager. There isn't a single English option that gets me excited and I don't do 'Well he's the least worst I guess'. I just can't, sorry.

no need to apologise! who would you go for ?

Guest firetotheworks

I wont expect to see you mention Eddie Howe as a good option then?

Correct. I don't think any managers from inferior leagues should be getting the job. It's an entirely different way of playing.

Derby are a Championship side, 'mint football'.

In the Premiership with Boro the best I can find them saying about is 'fond memories but boring'

Imagine someone coming onto this forum and asking how we felt about Keegan or Robson?

We were one of the biggest clubs in the country during those years. Boro were Boro tbf.

Failed at Wolfsburg

Failed at Forest

De Boer or Galtier preferably. Tuchel whilst exciting still seems pie in the sky to me.

Derby are a Championship side, 'mint football'.

In the Premiership with Boro the best I can find them saying about is 'fond memories but boring'

Imagine someone coming onto this forum and asking how we felt about Keegan or Robson?

i'd take the 'fond memories' btw. Im fucking short of them in our recent past, personally.

Guest firetotheworks

I have fond memories of those matches at the end of 11/12. Just saying.

I'm playing devil's advocate a bit here, I'd just need a lot more to go on than being successful in the Dutch League and the Championship.

Failed at Wolfsburg

Failed at Forest

De Boer or Galtier preferably. Tuchel whilst exciting still seems pie in the sky to me.

Haven't people been saying this Galtier is a similarly pragmatic type?

Failed at Wolfsburg

Failed at Forest

de boer would be everyone's choice i think (ignoring the fact that he's only done it in the dutch league, which seems ot be discounted for mccalren  :razz:).

I have fond memories of those matches at the end of 11/12. Just saying.

I'm playing devil's advocate a bit here, I'd just need a lot more to go on than being successful in the Dutch League and the Championship.

is that de boer out for you then?

genuine question btw, not being an arse.

i sound like im beating mcclarens drum, im not. I can think of many i'd have ahead of him, I dont think he's the second coming, I just dont think he's Alex Mccleish either.

Failed at Wolfsburg

Failed at Forest

de boer would be everyone's choice i think (ignoring the fact that he's only done it in the dutch league, which seems ot be discounted for mccalren  :razz:).

I'd say for me it's mostly McClaren's performance as England manager which really discounts him. That level of failure is crazy.