Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

Amazing how we've gone from wanting to take anyone that isn't pardew to turning our noses up at mcclaren. hes not great but we could do a hell of a lot worse. Seems like a decent bloke, isn't a prick and can at least claim to be a decent manager.

Is there an argument that a manager can be successful at a club but still end up generally disliked by the fans, with or without good reason? I don't think the two are mutually exclusive? Look at Wenger, for example, saying he's genrally disliked might be a stretch but he's been an undeniable success and yet none of us would be very surprised if he was moved on.

SBR was despised by the Barcelona fans and media despite ending up the European manager of the year and winning 3 trophies.

Really? Didn't know that. Why?

Fans often turn on a manager after they leave, remember Allardyce being booed when he went back to Bolton with us despite doing an amazing job with them?

Also worth remembering that a lot of football fans are complete fucking dimwits whose opinions should be ignored.

Not saying that there may not be good reasons for Boro and Twente fans not liking McClaren, just that it's hard to tell how relevant their opinions will be relating to how he'd do here.

Guest firetotheworks

Amazing how we've gone from wanting to take anyone that isn't pardew to turning our noses up at mcclaren. hes not great but we could do a hell of a lot worse. Seems like a decent bloke, isn't a prick and can at least claim to be a decent manager.

I still would, but now there is the choice because (and I'm going to relish typing this out in its entirety) Alan Pardew is no longer the manager of Newcastle United Football Club. :sweetjesus:

Guest TruToon94

Honestly think McClaren is getting hyped up a bit too much on here. He's a hit or miss manager. His first spell at FC Twente was good but on the other hand he's been a disaster during his second spell, Wolfsburg and Nottingham Forest. Derby he's doing well. Honestly this is like when tons of users were all touting Bruce as, "good" manager for us. A step up on Pardew but not what we really need IMHO.

We need a foreign manager. Dutch or French preferably. English managers are shite, simple as.

Is there an argument that a manager can be successful at a club but still end up generally disliked by the fans, with or without good reason? I don't think the two are mutually exclusive? Look at Wenger, for example, saying he's genrally disliked might be a stretch but he's been an undeniable success and yet none of us would be very surprised if he was moved on.

SBR was despised by the Barcelona fans and media despite ending up the European manager of the year and winning 3 trophies.

Deluded Catalans only like Catalans.

Honestly think McClaren is getting hyped up a bit too much on here. He's a hit or miss manager. His first spell at FC Twente was good but on the other hand he's been a disaster during his second spell, Wolfsburg and Nottingham Forest. Derby he's doing well. Honestly this is like when tons of users were all touting Bruce as, "good" manager for us. A step up on Pardew but not what we really need IMHO.

We need a foreign manager. Dutch or French preferably. English managers are shite, simple as.

Got any quotes to back this up?

Deluded Catalans only like Catalans.

:lol:

I would have taken anyone to remove Pardew as he seemingly was never ever going to leave but now that he's gone that's not needed anymore.

Guest TruToon94

We need a foreign manager. Dutch or French preferably. English managers are s****, simple as.

For the Bruce one? I remember another user posting a compilation of posts supporting Bruce's appointment. I'll dig it up if that's what you're referring to.

Guest firetotheworks

Fans often turn on a manager after they leave, remember Allardyce being booed when he went back to Bolton with us despite doing an amazing job with them?

Also worth remembering that a lot of football fans are complete fucking dimwits whose opinions should be ignored.

Not saying that there may not be good reasons for Boro and Twente fans not liking McClaren, just that it's hard to tell how relevant their opinions will be relating to how he'd do here.

Dunno if that's part of the booing culture like. Our fans have booed James Milner for literally no reason whatsoever other than the fact that he no longer played for us, it's daft. Michael Owen etc, aye fair enough, but Milner whether you liked him or not always put in his all, was totally messed around by us and didn't even want to leave. Booing someone like that by default does my head in.

You'd find that he's pretty liked now, in retrospect. His main problem was coming after Cruyff and the unrealistic expectations we all had at the time.

Dunno if that's part of the booing culture like. Our fans have booed James Milner for literally no reason whatsoever other than the fact that he no longer played for us, it's daft. Michael Owen etc, aye fair enough, but Milner whether you liked him or not always put in his all and was sometimes decent. Booing someone like that by default does my head in.

They hated Sam Allardyce because of his ugly, long ball football, despite him being successful there. Stoke fans hate Pulis because of his ugly, long ball football, despite him being successful there. Fans just hate ugly, long ball football.

We need a foreign manager. Dutch or French preferably. English managers are s****, simple as.

For the Bruce one? I remember another user posting a compilation of posts supporting Bruce's appointment. I'll dig it up if that's what you're referring to.

For this

Honestly think McClaren is getting hyped up a bit too much on here.

All I've seen is people say he might be alright/the best we can hope for.

As VI said, huge expectations and taking over from a legend.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bobby-Robson-High-Noon-Barcelona/dp/1852276339

That's the definitive text on it.

By all accounts, McClaren is a good coach who understands the game and gets his teams playing tactically-sound, if uninspiring, football. And he doesn't seem like a self-important cunt, which would be an improvement.

Would it be the sexiest choice? Of course not. It'd probably be the safest choice. I'd prefer we gamble on someone like Galtier or Tuchel, but a calming presence at the helm wouldn't be the worst thing for this club, considering what we've been dealing with the past 4 years. And as far as uninspiring English managers go, I'd opt for the one who's actually had success in his career, regardless of consistency. Better inconsistently good than consistently crap.

It was me for when HBA went to Hull, loads of people saying they'd have him here. (sorry) Yorkie saying he'd kill for him here  :lol:

Honestly, I just want a manager who is positive and has a cheerful demeanor. Someone who can get the players to absolutely love playing football again. None of this setting up to nullify the opposition. Just be positive and go out there with the belief that we can beat anyone at any given time. For all his faults, Pardew's biggest mistake was never quite realizing what kind of club we are. He saw us as a club there to make the numbers, who would do really well just to chill in midtable security.

By all accounts, McClaren is a good coach who understands the game and gets his teams playing tactically-sound, if uninspiring, football. And he doesn't seem like a self-important c***, which would be an improvement.

Would it be the sexiest choice? Of course not. It'd probably be the safest choice. I'd prefer we gamble on someone like Galtier or Tuchel, but a calming presence at the helm wouldn't be the worst thing for this club, considering what we've been dealing with the past 4 years. And as far as uninspiring English managers go, I'd opt for the one who's actually had success in his career, regardless of consistency. Better inconsistently good than consistently crap.

:thup:

I reckon with what we have available (Cabella, De Jong, Perez, Aarons, Sissoko) he would have us playing some nice stuff.

To be honest Mcclaren is the only one who's been mentioned who I wouldn't want.

Can you explain this? Why would you rather have McClaren than Tuchel, de Boer, Galtier?

Think you read his post wrong.

oh mos def...