Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

We know the manager has zero say in players coming in. It's not surprising and hardly uncommon, especially on the continent.

The problem is the muppet we hire to coach them. This season all rests on one decision, in my mind.

Then why have John Carver involved in our pre-summer transfer planning meetings?

Implies there is actually meetings :yao:

They probably just sit around in a boardroom sipping a $10,000 bottle of wine, reading this thread and giggling to themselves about how some people think we're going to hire a manager.

Another thing that has me completely baffled with regards to our transfer policy: the stick Graham Carr has been getting lately for the many duds in our squad. Yes, the club bought Riviere, but we also know that if it wasn't for the usual penny pinching we could have had Aubameyang or Lacazette just before their major breakthroughs which saw them double in value and move out of our reach. He can recommend whoever he wants, if it is up to the likes of Kinnear and Charnley to get the deals done you are in trouble and before you know it we hit the bottom of the list with the more risky, cheaper targets. As a chief scout, he only controls who the club should look at, not who they end up bringing in.

Which begs the question, why would he even want to be around this club anymore? At his age, assuming he isn't totally skint, one would assume he would rather spent time on the golf course or watching football for fun than have to deal with the snakes on Barrack Road.

We know the manager has zero say in players coming in. It's not surprising and hardly uncommon, especially on the continent.

The problem is the muppet we hire to coach them. This season all rests on one decision, in my mind.

Then why have John Carver involved in our pre-summer transfer planning meetings?

There's a difference between him being asked and being told at these meetings.

Another thing that has me completely baffled with regards to our transfer policy: the stick Graham Carr has been getting lately for the many duds in our squad. Yes, the club bought Riviere, but we also know that if it wasn't for the usual penny pinching we could have had Aubameyang or Lacazette just before their major breakthroughs which saw them double in value and move out of our reach. He can recommend whoever he wants, if it is up to the likes of Kinnear and Charnley to get the deals done you are in trouble and before you know it we hit the bottom of the list with the more risky, cheaper targets. As a chief scout, he only controls who the club should look at, not who they end up bringing in.

Which begs the question, why would he even want to be around this club anymore? At his age, assuming he isn't totally skint, one would assume he would rather spent time on the golf course or watching football for fun than have to deal with the snakes on Barrack Road.

He probably gives them a list of players and they just pick the cheapest ones.

I doubt the job involves a lot of legwork for Carr. By and large the players he brings to the club aren't unknown quantities. I'd assume his responsibilities are mostly just networking and setting the club up with contacts when they target a player in France. Seems like a pretty decent semi-retirement job.

Why would they tell the interim head coach anything? :dontknow:

Why would they tell the interim head coach anything? :dontknow:

Why hire him? Why speculate? I'm certain John Carver has no say on who we will sign. Pardew was at the meetings, he didn't (well maybe Colback).

It must just be speculation, they haven't a clue what's going on.

True but even the speculation has moved away from Carver, and coming from the Chronicle which has championed the troglodyte for the past two weeks that is still welcome.

What's bothered me often is the opposite to be honest, the amount of free passes Carr has been getting, while as the club has stated he is part of the Trifecta making decisions on the resources within the club. He's part of the decision making process to put Carver in charge of the club for a 5 month period where we went from 9th to needing to win our last game in order to secure survival. He's also part of the decision making process that has twice apparently courted a coach that's just been sacked from a Championship club for failing to get them up, a coach whose very limited success was well in the past.

The truth is though none of us know, how much of a influence Carr is on the "Football Board" and how much power he wields, or how much his advice is heeded or ignored. Is it a simple majority vote on who to bring in between the 3 or does a person with zero background in the game make the final decision, and does that decision then go to the owner for approval ? But what we do know is that he is in a position of power to a football club which is under performing to a ridiculous degree.

Difficult to know how much say Carr has on anything other than recruitment.

Sadly the Ashley regime hides it's on goings behind a fog of incompetence. Hard to know where one buffoon starts and another ends.

Fair enough, especially since his role has seemingly changed this winter. I was just on about the current squad and his role in picking it.

Agreed he would have to be the worst scout in the world to have recommended Riv over the likes of PEA and Lacazette. He clearly identified those and the Owner and MD clearly failed to get them "over the line".

Just read George Caulkin's latest in Times. He reiterates that Carver is expected to revert to previous role. First hand knowledge of English football needed. Mcclaren, vieira or Clement I'd think

Just read George Caulkin's latest in Times. He reiterates that Carver is expected to revert to previous role. First hand knowledge of English football needed. Mcclaren, vieira or Clement I'd think

I've heard pretty much the same.Garde wasn't wanted because he wanted to bring his own staff but Charnley wants the current coaching staff to be utilised.

Personally I'd go for Klopp. But if I were in charge the club would be allowed to spend it's own money, thus avoiding the need to play Janmaat at CB and the nailed on relegation battle that comes with that lack of investment.

The same lack of investment that'll hinder us in hiring a coach who isn't a complete fucking mong.