Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

Found that article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10004456/Montpellier-coach-Rene-Girard-wants-move-to-a-Premier-League-club-after-discussions-with-Arsene-Wenger.html

Good article, I get the feeling he'd be absolutely perfect for this club's recruitment policy given his former position as manager of the U-16, U-19, and U-21's in France and his emphasis on youth. I'd imagine he'd work wonders with some of the young French players we're scouting. Seems an intelligent football man vs. some of the shit our current guy spews.

Sounds like he's itching to get sacked. Wouldn't be surprised if Nicollin has his house covered in shit for those quotes.

Found that article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10004456/Montpellier-coach-Rene-Girard-wants-move-to-a-Premier-League-club-after-discussions-with-Arsene-Wenger.html

Good article, I get the feeling he'd be absolutely perfect for this club's recruitment policy given his former position as manager of the U-16, U-19, and U-21's in France and his emphasis on youth. I'd imagine he'd work wonders with some of the young French players we're scouting. Seems an intelligent football man vs. some of the s*** our current guy spews.

Sounds like he's itching to get sacked. Wouldn't be surprised if Nicollin has his house covered in s*** for those quotes.

His contract is up/not getting renewed in the summer. Mad Nicolin already said that in the press in early March, the crazy bastard.

Found that article:

Good article, I get the feeling he'd be absolutely perfect for this club's recruitment policy given his former position as manager of the U-16, U-19, and U-21's in France and his emphasis on youth. I'd imagine he'd work wonders with some of the young French players we're scouting. Seems an intelligent football man vs. some of the s*** our current guy spews.

Sounds like he's itching to get sacked. Wouldn't be surprised if Nicollin has his house covered in s*** for those quotes.

His contract is up/not getting renewed in the summer. Mad Nicolin already said that in the press in early March, the crazy bastard.

Fair enough. This is one of those rare cases where working for Mike Ashley would seem like a trade up :lol:

Gerard misses Mapou, clearly.

From wiki after winning the title:

"I think our triumph is a real shot in the arm for French football. "It just goes to show that everyone can beat everyone and that money isn't the be-all and end-all. We're a club of mates, a club that brings young players through and gives them a chance. "At the end of the day, it's worked out well for us. We played some great football, with a well-balanced team and I'm overwhelmed."

Awesome quote that. I've watched Mapou play quite a bit over there and sadly only paid attention to him like 100% of the time. Is Rene a good manager in terms of his style of football etc?

http://i71.servimg.com/u/f71/16/55/20/10/montpe10.png

Vs

http://i71.servimg.com/u/f71/16/55/20/10/nufc10.png

You decide  :shifty:

Net spend doesn't count remember. ;)

The best yardstick is squad value. If you take that criteria then Wigan's position is probably about right. Then if you look at ours, our position is a disgrace.

Not sure it's the best yardstick tbf, fair enough if the manager has no say but if he has spent £50m on players worth £20m is he not to blame? (not talking about Martinez, just why I don't think it's always going to be a realistic argument).

In regards to Martinez though, he has spent around £8m a season since being there and they haven't gone any further forward than they did under Bruce (in fact they finished higher under Bruce than they ever have under Martinez). West Brom as an example have spent around £6m a season, Norwich £4m etc..

As said, they haven't gone all Man City but they haven't not spent either. The season he took over they had just finished 11th under Bruce. Since then they have finished 16th, 16th, 15th and are currently 18th.

I just don't see what is special about him. Other managers have had little to spend and still managed better finishes. He may play some nice passing football but I don't get why anyone really rates him and the first opportunity he got to manage a club with ambition he bottled it.

I just don't see what is special about him. Other managers have had little to spend and still managed better finishes. He may play some nice passing football but I don't get why anyone really rates him and the first opportunity he got to manage a club with ambition he bottled it.

It's pretty obvious though isn't it? His side regularly dominate lots of game, have high possession and create a lot of chances. It's a pretty small  leap to suggest that if he had more cutting edge at his disposal (which more money would buy) his team would do really well. Basically he already has a large piece of the puzzle in place with little investment and it's easy to see how money would bring some cutting edge.

It's pretty obvious though isn't it? His side regularly dominate lots of game, have high possession and create a lot of chances. It's a pretty simple logical leap to suggest that if he had more cutting edge at his disposal (which more money would buy) his team would do really well. Basically he already has a large piece of the puzzle in place with little investment and it's easy to see how money would bring some cutting edge.

Thing is they don't though.... they are a counter attacking team with an emphasis on winning the ball high up the pitch and passing through the gaps.

Main reason they struggle against any one other than the big teams is because of they are forced to come out against teams around them and break teams down.

Against big teams they can play their natural game and its proved quite fruitful.

The best yardstick is squad value. If you take that criteria then Wigan's position is probably about right. Then if you look at ours, our position is a disgrace.

Not sure it's the best yardstick tbf, fair enough if the manager has no say but if he has spent £50m on players worth £20m is he not to blame? (not talking about Martinez, just why I don't think it's always going to be a realistic argument).

In regards to Martinez though, he has spent around £8m a season since being there and they haven't gone any further forward than they did under Bruce (in fact they finished higher under Bruce than they ever have under Martinez). West Brom as an example have spent around £6m a season, Norwich £4m etc..

As said, they haven't gone all Man City but they haven't not spent either. The season he took over they had just finished 11th under Bruce. Since then they have finished 16th, 16th, 15th and are currently 18th.

Nice of you to ignore all of the figures I've posted. :thup:

Nice of you to ignore all of the figures I've posted. :thup:

How have I done that?

Your article states -

Transfers In Transfers Out Net Spend

Wigan* £32,100,000 £43,750,000 -£11,650,000

I have said he has spent around £8m a season, he has been there for the 09/10, 10/11, 11/12 and is about to end the 12/13 season so that's 4 seasons which works out as a spend of around £8m a season.

Apologies but I don't put much stock in the net spend figure. Some teams don't have these players who go for massive fees in the first place, I am basing what Martinez has done on the money he has spent. He hasn't moved the team forward at all and will just keep them up at best again.

Guest neesy111

Yet when you look at their wage bill and turnover they are exactly where they should be.

:thup:

Also imagine trying to entice players to go to Wigan ffs.

Yet when you look at their wage bill and turnover they are exactly where they should be.

What was their wage bill and turnover under Steve Bruce when they finished 11th? It's not a secret that Stoke have spent a lot of money, do we have comparisons to other clubs who have performed higher than where their wage bill/turnover say they should?

I can't help but feel Martinez will fail when he goes to a club that has higher aspirations than Wigan. Some managers just suit certain clubs and the fact he is getting them to perform around where they "should" sounds like he is doing nothing more than the bare minimum. Fair play to him for not doing it in such a negative manner though which seems to be the accepted survival approach.

To add a little more context, during those 4 seasons Wigan have actually spent less than everyone bar Fulham (out of the teams who have been in the PL exclusively throughout that time).

Do you really think that all he is doing is the bare minimum?

I do. Steve Bruce had them in 14th and 11th before Martinez came in which is something Martinez hasn't been able to replicate. Were their wages/turnover at this time significantly more?

Paul Jewell also managed to keep them in the league around the position Martinez normally gets them finishing in.

Since he has come in he has got them either finishing at the same or a lower position as managers we would be horrified at. If he had anything special about him I would expect him to perform better.

Maybe he is a class manager who will go on to have a top career but I don't see it at the moment.

So you really just assume that Martinez is going to work every day and just doing the bare minimum to keep Wigan treading water and taking his foot off the gas at taking them further forward?