Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

Guest Howaythetoon

Get Ginola in. He's French, speaks English, knows the league, knows the club and area and importantly the fans. That and he's a suave good looking mother f***er who would surely bring flair and charm to our play/team. Or maybe not. Quite frankly after the absolute dross we have endured for the majority of the time since the days of Sir Bobby, I'd be game for the outlandish.

Rafa to the Toon was doing the rounds at the weekend. He for me is still one of the best coaches in the game but he's not the most positive of managers. Mind, his main philosophy is possession football. Valencia were a joy to watch and Liverpool, although a tad boring, were very functional and efficient. Furthermore he more than most would be good for our chances of a trophy via a cup run.

He is a control freak and wouldn't be happy with having players recruited for the side by others and there is no way Ashley would appoint such a confrontational manager as Rafa. I'd be delighted with such an appointment though.

Martinez would be a fascinating choice, someone who could work, but this club man, it can be a bitch of a club to manage and I'd worry whether he would have the metal if you like to deal with the pressure. Wigan is easy street for him. NUFC, a few defeats and its a crisis.

Moyes? :lol: No chance. I wouldn't want Redknapp either.

Seriously, all things considered, I personally would go for Jol. He's a safe appointment in many ways and while I haven't been too impressed with his Fulham side, he is several levels above Pardew and his general philosophy is to get the ball down and for the better players to express themselves. Furthermore, he can work with having players recruited for the team without much input as that's how things happened at Spurs and I imagine in Holland too. I'm also sure Ashley looked at him in the past.

Jol seems to be a bit overrated to me. I mean his teams have never had that killer punch, imo.

Everyone knows about how his last full season at TH ended, but also at HSV; chocked quite badly, iirc.

I don't think his footballing style is that interesting anyway.

I think he'd be a safe appointment for us, someone who would get us playing half decent football and challenging for a top 8 at least position. We would never struggle at the foot of the table like we have done for the most part since Sir Bobby's days and while we would struggle to get into the CL, we would at least be looking to qualify for European football. I also think in terms of our recruitment process etc. he would be a good fit.

Martinez is another manager who probably wouldn't be my first choice (nowhere near actually) but has a far better understanding of football tactically than Pardew. There's obviously more to it than that, but unlike Martinez Pardew has a fucking brilliant set up at Newcastle.

I think the 8 year contract will be meaningless if we start the next campaign like we are ending this one. It bears down to how ambitious you think our owners are to how sackable you think Pardew is.

He won't go in the summer, even if we finish 17th and lose all our next run of games. The fact that Pardew is already wittering on about next season and it looks like we're gonna move for one of his transfer targets suggests he'll be here in August, and he's aware of it.

It'll be entirely different then though if the same dross is served up on a weekly basis. No patience from the stands and their will be calls for him to be sacked, publicly. He's had an enormous benefit with the patience given to him this season. If we start really s*** next season the owner will have some decisions to make. When you lose the supporters that's usually it at Newcastle.

I'v mentioned Rafa before and I'd love him at SJP, obviously highly unlikely like but one can hope.

Guest bimpy474

I don't think he's going anywhere unless we come very dangerously close to getting relegated, or actually go down.

At some point you'd expect Carr will have a word in Ashley's ear.

I think we are already at the dangerously close point with us not being able to win away, and Arsenal and Liverpool to play at home.

Teams below us:

Norwich (still to play Stoke and Villa)

Sunderland (still to play Stoke and Villa)

Stoke (still to play Norwich and Sunderland)

Villa (still to play Norwich, Sunderland and Wigan)

Wigan (still to play Villa)

The points dropped there will save us, even if we don't win another game.

Teams below us:

Norwich (still to play Stoke and Villa)

Sunderland (still to play Stoke and Villa)

Stoke (still to play Norwich and Sunderland)

Villa (still to play Norwich, Sunderland and Wigan)

Wigan (still to play Villa)

The points dropped there will save us, even if we don't win another game.

Comforting.

Does anyone think we'll go after Rafa when he becomes available?

I imagine Rafa will have opportunities at larger clubs in Europe after doing a good job with Chelsea.

That's true but I do think he'd be interested in joining us. Like mentioned before it's budget / salary issues that might put him off. Club stature I don't think he'd have an issue with.  Think he came quite close to joining Villa remember.

Does anyone think we'll go after Rafa when he becomes available?

I imagine Rafa will have opportunities at larger clubs in Europe after doing a good job with Chelsea.

That's true but I do think he'd be interested in joining us. Like mentioned before it's budget / salary issues that might put him off. Club stature I don't think he'd have an issue with.  Think he came quite close to joining Villa remember.

Hope you're right. I can't imagine he'd be one to tickle Ashley's taint though. Nor do I think Ashley would spend the requisite amount of money to get him.