A sad day

bowlingcrofty

Fantastic post.

I feel the emergence of the "big four",killed it off for clubs like ours.

The revenue from Champions League was just too big,and those big four rapidily took off in terms of finance that they could spend on players,and the kind of players they could attract.

Fact is, had Keegan not resigned, we would almost certainly been one of the big 4.

Exactly. After last season,I thought we may,just maybe,be on to something.

This season has certainly brought me back down to Earth  :D

It's painful to see what football has become IMO, don't get me wrong it's still a good sport to watch but the baggage that it now carries is massive. The morals of the game is all but gone, sportsmanship is hard to come by, greed is rife and entertainment I'd quite often sacrificed for what seen as a result.

I don't even believe that football is as entertaining or as exciting as we say it is, don't get me wrong there is some bloody fantastic games but for every one of those there's a Fat Sam set play special or two.

Money has been the saviour and has been the destruction of our game IMO. It's given clubs a opportunity to do things they would never have been able to prior to Sky etc and were included in that however it's introduced a diesease into the game and its so deep into the game that we could never rid ourselves of it now. I remember in 98? When Man Utd withdrew from the FA cup to play in the Club World Cup or whatever it's called, a absolute disgrace IMO but they were trying to expand their global brand and their revenue.

As you said most teams don't seem to give two shits about domestic cups now, certainly the League Cup is becoming a joke.  Teams belittling lower league clubs by playing their kids and crocks against them.

Football has become a over complicated finance driven circus, shame really.

Fantastic post.

The revenue from Champions League was just too big,and those big four rapidily took off in terms of finance that they could spend on players,and the kind of players they could attract.

Fact is, had Keegan not resigned, we would almost certainly been one of the big 4.

he resigned because we didn't have the money for him to carry on the way he wanted.

Being in the champions league every season would have funded his spending

Fantastic post.

he resigned because we didn't have the money for him to carry on the way he wanted.

Once a quitter....

Fantastic post.

it didn't. we got into the champs league and it didn't fund much.

To be honest I feel we regained a lot of lost faith, certainly with me under Hughton.. we built a young-ish and hungry squad of player who were certainly not top drawer but played their hearts our and gave their all for this club.

I think we have lost that drive and passion from the players for the club. I don't particularly blame the players completely for that. Many new players just don't understand what it is to play for this club and certainly not what it was.

Money is what is wrong with football and is the case in every walk of life. Throw money at any situation and people will fight to get it.

:thup: The time under Hughton was by far my favourite in recent years. Really felt like something to believe in.

It's painful to see what football has become IMO, don't get me wrong it's still a good sport to watch but the baggage that it now carries is massive. The morals of the game is all but gone, sportsmanship is hard to come by, greed is rife and entertainment I'd quite often sacrificed for what seen as a result.

I don't even believe that football is as entertaining or as exciting as we say it is, don't get me wrong there is some bloody fantastic games but for every one of those there's a Fat Sam set play special or two.

Money has been the saviour and has been the destruction of our game IMO. It's given clubs a opportunity to do things they would never have been able to prior to Sky etc and were included in that however it's introduced a diesease into the game and its so deep into the game that we could never rid ourselves of it now. I remember in 98? When Man Utd withdrew from the FA cup to play in the Club World Cup or whatever it's called, a absolute disgrace IMO but they were trying to expand their global brand and their revenue.

As you said most teams don't seem to give two shits about domestic cups now, certainly the League Cup is becoming a joke.  Teams belittling lower league clubs by playing their kids and crocks against them.

Football has become a over complicated finance driven circus, shame really.

Exactly how I feel but I don't like to admit it because sitting here with my skysports subscription it makes me a hypocrite I suppose(as Dave said a few days ago in another thread). Watching back various games from the 90s past few days just really hammered it home just how different it is. I'm sure older posters than me will say by then it was already turning into what it is now but it just seems now there is fuck all soul to it all.

Guest chicken little

using keegan's team as a barometer is always going to leave you depressed in the long run - it was a very rare high. i feel it is a blessing in a strange way that i started paying attention a couple of years before that, when jim smith was in charge. it was a lot more depressing than any of the last five years clusterfucks. and that's our history, isn't it? 2/3 golden ages (the edwardian era (!), the 50s, keegan mk 1) surrounded by long spells of failure, idiocy, and moral deviance.

the broader point that football in general has "progressed" for the worse is unfortunately true. i don't live in the uk any more so i don't get to go regularly, but the last 4-5 games i made it to weren't much fun, even if we won. everything about the matchday experience is garbage entertainment product, getting treated like a twat and ripped off for substandard shit.

The sad thing for me as well is, even if we have the best manager we could get, an owner who spends properly, etc. realistically, the best we'll ever be is doing what we did last season but on a more consistent basis. Performing better in cups too.

Sickening that the only way we'll ever really be any more than a top 6 club is if we sell out a la Chelsea or City.

The sad thing for me as well is, even if we have the best manager we could get, an owner who spends properly, etc. realistically, the best we'll ever be is doing what we did last season but on a more consistent basis. Performing better in cups too.

Sickening that the only way we'll ever really be any more than a top 6 club is if we sell out a la Chelsea or City.

To me it's more sickening that we can't do that. Chelsea and Man City fans I know are happier than I am each weekend.

Fantastic post.

I don't think it was just that, give him the 17 million spent on Colo and Xisco as well as a decent chunk of the Milner monies to spend as he saw fit and he would've been happy to stay on.

Control was the bigger issue.

Fantastic post.

No - he resigned because Ashley told him one thing and then pulled the rug out from under him...the judge agreed and KK said you couldn't work with Ash/Lam because you can't talk to them.

Fergie and Wenger BOTH thought he was right to walk...

Guest tollemache

To me it's more sickening that we can't do that. Chelsea and Man City fans I know are happier than I am each weekend.

no no no no

we're big enough in terms of support, revenue etc, if run properly, to have a tilt eventually, and do it the right way

The football was worse in the 70s but at least you could stand with your mates and sing your hearts out for the lads, whatever the performance or the result.

And it felt good.

yes and some  of those awaydays were real eye openers ... getting back to kings cross station was an adventure in itself.

That's why in a way you gotta admire what Spurs did to break down so called "Big 4" not by having a sugar daddy.  They actually made many successful transfers, both in and out, to accumulate the squad that can compete with the likes of Chelsea.

That's why in a way you gotta admire what Spurs did to break down so called "Big 4" not by having a sugar daddy.  They actually made many successful transfers, both in and out, to accumulate the squad that can compete with the likes of Chelsea.

Also last season shows what can be done despite not having a Sugar Daddy owner. While it's frustrating watching mediocre clubs spending their way to success, it's far more so seeing us fail to capitalise on the assets we have got.

Guest Roger Kint

Fantastic post.

No - he resigned because Ashley told him one thing and then pulled the rug out from under him...the judge agreed and KK said you couldn't work with Ash/Lam because you can't talk to them.

I know you struggle to talk about anyone else but i'm not sure Ashley had owt to do with us at that time.

Fantastic post.

I know you struggle to talk about anyone else but i'm not sure Ashley had owt to do with us at that time.

Madras and I were talking about the 97 resignation, hence the use of the Champions League revenue argument.

They've spent some wedge mind, it isnt like they've done what they've done with home grown youth players.

I love the Toon with a passion and will always follow them but I follow lots of other sports which helps to detract from things when things are going tits up like now or even just to get away from the whole nonsense of football sometimes. Tour de France, athletics, Brownlee brothers in the triathlon, 6 nations rugby, test cricket and my own running all helps to destress and provide escapism :lol:

I've just come to the grim acceptance that while Ashley is here we'll never really go anywhere

Guest Roger Kint

Fantastic post.

Madras and I were talking about the 97 resignation, hence the use of the Champions League revenue argument.

I know thats what i said

Tbh I can remember from the 60s and 70s, people saying how the game had sold out and the magic had gone.

The team are struggling because it doesn't have the right blend and the players have lost confidence. If that could change, we'd all feel a lot better  ;)

Fantastic post.

I know thats what i said

Aye, so u did.....should've read it. Just going off the last quote.....sorry mate.

After 20 years of fanatical support this season has been the one where my interest in NUFC and football has finally stopped.

The season ticket went a few years ago, I never go to games, I don't watch matches or highlights on the telly, I don't keep an eye on the scores or who we're playing.

I come on here from time to time to see what the headlines are and it makes me glad I'm not spending a large percentage of my time embroiled in the world of football. It's an industry that's sold its soul.

If you want to win things you need to be Man Utd or owned by a foreign billionaire.  And clubs with long histories are being ruined by clueless money men.

It's more important for clubs to be engaged with foreign "consumers" than it is to look after your local community and fanbase.

Cretinous mercenaries are being paid obscene amounts of money to kick a ball about when the country barely has a pot to piss in, people are trying to scrape by in a bleak economic landscape and valuable local services are cut due to a lack of funding.

Top flight football is no longer a sport, it's a global entertainment business. And it's shite.