Official: Yoan Gouffran signs new contract with Goztepe

Tooj

He's supposed to be our finisher, and more likely to notch a scrappy goal than Gouffran. He's always going to be left on. If he'd have been taken off, complaints would be made about the negativity of taking 'our only finisher' off.

Doesn't mean it wasn't the right decision. We were more likely to score through Hatem than anyone last night. 2-0 and 10 men down, sacrificing 'the finisher' makes sense.

It makes as much sense as taking off the less potent but harder working striker. It's a 50/50 call, and not one to get our knickers in a twist over.

:lol: It's not. I'm not.

He's supposed to be our finisher, and more likely to notch a scrappy goal than Gouffran. He's always going to be left on. If he'd have been taken off, complaints would be made about the negativity of taking 'our only finisher' off.

Nah, when you're down to 10 men against superior opposition, you just hope to relieve as much pressure as possible. You keep the lad most capable of moving the team up for a bit. With 10 men you need everyone to contribute.. Cisse offers nothing whatsoever outside the box.

I really like his qualities, but he's often the first to be sacrificed by Pardew and always seems to have been.

Get the feeling he was one of Carr's calls not Pardew's.

He's a typical 442 striker that will do the donkey work for the main goalscorer, in our case, Cisse.

Pardew starts Shola instead  :yao:

Gouffran ready to come on, Pardew takes off Cisse  :llorente?:

The lad's been here since January and we're yet to see him used properly. He will create space for his partner, and can link up play nicely. He's nothing flash or top tier, but I'm confident he can be effective.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Cisse has been utter shite for ages tbh & he was worse than useless yesterday. Pardew's mistake was starting him, not taking him off.

Cisse has been utter s**** for ages tbh & he was worse than useless yesterday. Pardew's mistake was starting him, not taking him off.

Ages? I think Shola's ages trumps Cisse's ages bonny lad  :crazy2:

Pardew was approaching the right idea by finally realising Cisse cannot lead the line on his own. Fucked it up by starting an ageing lumbering Shola Ameobi next to him. Can't remember a single exchange of passes between the two of them.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I think the idea was to use Gouffran as an impact sub, utilising his pace etc, whilst Shola probably expected to be used up front whilst defending set pieces etc.

Ideally we would have Gomis/Bent or even a fit Remy but we have Shola, Gouffran & Cisse (who hasn't had a shot on target for four games)

I think the idea was to use Gouffran as an impact sub, utilising his pace etc, whilst Shola probably expected to be used up front whilst defending set pieces etc.

Ideally we would have Gomis/Bent or even a fit Remy but we have Shola, Gouffran & Cisse (who hasn't had a shot on target for four games)

Gouffran has some pace, but it's not the kind of searing pace that, say, Obertan can offer coming on as an impact sub. As for starting a 6' plus center forward so he can defend set-pieces....I don't even know where to start....

Guest Haris Vuckic

If you were in any position of influence you'd start by buying a striker & sending Shola to the glue factory.

Well that's just retarded.  Let's field a weakened strike force so we can play our strongest 11 for the last 20 minutes.  Do goals scored in the first 70 minutes not count, like?  Don't even get me started on fielding a fucking striker to defend set pieces.  Sure other teams have a set of players to defend set pieces.  Can't remember what they're called but there's probably a clue in the phrase 'defend set pieces'.

Guest icemanblue

Seems to take forever to get set to hit a shot. He had a real chance, towards the end of the game, when Anita played him in on the edge of the box. Just needed a single touch then shot, but he dallied and a defender got across to make the block. Might just be a confidence thing. Doubt the miss at the end will help with that, like.