Official: Yoan Gouffran signs new contract with Goztepe

Tooj

After we were beaten by Reading what was your stance on relegation? 'We need players or we're down'?

I never thought we were going down. I kept thinking we were going to pull away and end up midtable until probably after the Sunderland match. I honestly thought the players were too good for it, but I was wrong about this admittedly. It was sometime around when Arsenal almost spelled Newcastle and the loss to Adam Le Fondre that I was nervous about it for the first time.

Yeah seems like Pardew has even managed to spin the players interviews now.

Wouldn't suprise me if there is an exclusive on SportsDirect next week with Sissoko claiming Pardew is the best manager he has worked under, and that Jonas should be the first name on the team sheet.

I would be extremely surprised if Pardew has anything to do with that article.

With the talk in the other thread of this new fitness coach helping Marveaux etc. Well Gouff is another. Whether it was pardew hooking him too early or he was simply exhausted, either way we need to get longer out of him than just the 65mins every match then subbed out.

Also as others have been discussing in this thread. I think he did ok wide left. Got a couple of important goals and assists. But it's clear he's not perfectly suited to the wide role.

I actually liked the look of him in that last game against Arsenal when he was up top with Cisse. Some of the movement and pace was causing Arsenal problems and I think he could be a really useful weapon if used correctly.

With the talk in the other thread of this new fitness coach helping Marveaux etc. Well Gouff is another. Whether it was pardew hooking him too early or he was simply exhausted, either way we need to get longer out of him than just the 65mins every match then subbed out.

Also as others have been discussing in this thread. I think he did ok wide left. Got a couple of important goals and assists. But it's clear he's not perfectly suited to the wide role.

I actually liked the look of him in that last game against Arsenal when he was up top with Cisse. Some of the movement and pace was causing Arsenal problems and I think he could be a really useful weapon if used correctly.

Agreed on his fitness, have to make allowances for him being new to the league I guess.

Agreed on his fitness, have to make allowances for him being new to the league I guess.

A full pre season may have helped mind.

• 1 month later...

Really like this guy. I want to see him play upfront more. His finish today was lovely, just went a bit early. Far better all round player than Cisse. hasn't been given a chance to see if he'll score goals as a front man.

At least unlike Cisse he can deal with a bit of physical challenge and link the play.

Infinitely better at running with the ball and better movement too.

Surprising how well the ball sticks with him. He's definitely got more fight to him.

Also works the channels better than Cisse, and is far more comfortable on the ball.

Guest icemanblue

His pace would have been the only out ball we had. Sub him off.

Thought that at the time. Only one with speed in behind.

What about Hatem? It was a toss up between the two.

Guest icemanblue

He's supposed to be our finisher, and more likely to notch a scrappy goal than Gouffran. He's always going to be left on. If he'd have been taken off, complaints would be made about the negativity of taking 'our only finisher' off.

He's supposed to be our finisher, and more likely to notch a scrappy goal than Gouffran. He's always going to be left on. If he'd have been taken off, complaints would be made about the negativity of taking 'our only finisher' off.

Doesn't mean it wasn't the right decision. We were more likely to score through Hatem than anyone last night. 2-0 and 10 men down, sacrificing 'the finisher' makes sense.

He's little back heel that nearly came off to put Ben Arfa in was canny.

He's a clever player. That was really good play. He odes stuff like that all the time. I remember a nice step over against Spurs last season to allow someone to run onto the ball.

He's someone I would never take off. He has more football intelligence than the majority of our team put together.

Yet our manager has never allowed him to complete a game, and not only left dozy Jonas on instead, but would then replace him with Shola Ameobi whose lazy unintelligent play, is in such stark contrast to his.

Words fail me.

Guest icemanblue

Doesn't mean it wasn't the right decision. We were more likely to score through Hatem than anyone last night. 2-0 and 10 men down, sacrificing 'the finisher' makes sense.

It makes as much sense as taking off the less potent but harder working striker. It's a 50/50 call, and not one to get our knickers in a twist over.