Official: Yoan Gouffran signs new contract with Goztepe

Tooj

He does start to look slightly plugged after 70-75 minutes, but Gutierrez always gets a bit leggy by that point, as did Ba and Nolan yet they were never subbed very often at all by Pardew. I think it's more to do with the fact he won't kick up so much of a fuss as opposed to some kind of tactical nous or whatever.

Seems to be left out of a fair few 'first choice 11's' when discussed on here but I would definitely have him in there tbh. We need another wide player but I'm far from convinced we will get a full season out of HBA and if we play 2 up top I have no concerns about Gouffran being good enough.

The lad has a great deal about him and I reckon he will be a key player for us.

Seems to be left out of a fair few 'first choice 11's' when discussed on here but I would definitely have him in there tbh. We need another wide player but I'm far from convinced we will get a full season out of HBA and if we play 2 up top I have no concerns about Gouffran being good enough.

these discussions going on all over the board and they're totally pointless, apart from jonas, willo & shola i honestly just about all of our senior squad are "good enough" in principle but they'lll never be deployed correctly under pardew 'cause he hasn't got a fucking clue

cisse is a double-figures striker and there's no reason whatsoever gouffran couldn't be with his pace and movement

problem is the midfield contribute absolutely fucking nothing in goals, very little in the way of service, and fuck all in movement to help the strikers out

so yeah in principle gouffran could be quality, but we'll soon get a reality check when him and cisse are alone running at a back four surrounded by the opposition defence while the other 9 outfield players stand and watch

Reason being is because i'm pretty convinced we will sign a high profile forward this summer to replace the goals of Ba.

I like him a lot but he's always going to be dropped before Ben Arfa and Cisse.

Coming round to the idea of him and Cisse up top more and more. Think he could be what Bellamy used to be for us in some ways, speed and movement causing defences problems and chipping in with goals too. Underrated player.

Hard to tell at this point. Bellamy had a hell of a left foot on him, I haven't seen what Gouffran offers in that regard. Yes he's a clever player with a turn of speed but until I see him finish a couple of goals decisively I'm unsure what has in his locker.

Unfortunately Ben Arfa will probably barely play.

Well those first eleven teams you see are exactly that, there is zero considering of injuries when doing them as they are what people want to see when everyone is fit and available.

Unfortunately Ben Arfa will probably barely play.

Well those first eleven teams you see are exactly that, there is zero considering of injuries when doing them as they are what people want to see when everyone is fit and available.

:thup:

Coming round to the idea of him and Cisse up top more and more. Think he could be what Bellamy used to be for us in some ways, speed and movement causing defences problems and chipping in with goals too. Underrated player.

Bellamy mostly caused problems because he'd beat players with pace and skill and he'd create. Gouffran as much as I wanted him to be of that ilk just isn't. He's a tidy, tenacious and quick decent finisher. He's not the answer to getting the best out of Cisse and never will be.

Bellamy mostly caused problems because he'd beat players with pace and skill and he'd create. Gouffran as much as I wanted him to be of that ilk just isn't. He's a tidy, tenacious and quick decent finisher. He's not the answer to getting the best out of Cisse and never will be.

I don't think he's like Bellamy on the ball but I do think they share similar traits off the ball and that could be really effective if we utilise it. As for linking with Cisse, I think he showed against Arsenal that against certain opposition he can be good foil, he runs the channels well and can create opportunities.

From what I've seen I much prefer him as a central player rather than wide. If we do buy, he'll a very decent sub/fill in player to have though which for us is most unusual.

From what I've seen I much prefer him as a central player rather than wide.

Yeah, he's competent out wide and could be good there if we played a creative player at the tip of the midfield diamond but his brief appearances up top show where he will be most effective.

There weren't any opportunities, though. You can't have two players up front with little to no creativity, especially in a team severely lacking creativity in the midfield.

Depends on the type of creativity you're looking for. One of our best chances last week was when Gouffran got ahead of Mertesacker and put in a first-time cross across the goalmouth, Cisse was inches away from it. That's creative, not in the traditional sense but I think that could work for us. Admittedly, I wouldn't go for it unless we got a significant upgrade on the left wing in.

I really don't rate him but appreciate he works hard.

Think the most he can aspire to is to be the next Kevin Gallacher or Peter Lovenkrands.

7 goals in our last 10 league games is woeful and if we are still picking a strikeforce from Gouffran, Cisse, Shola, and Campbell then we will continue to struggle. He might be useful to have on the bench but isn't good enough to start for us imo.

I'd have Gouffran where Sissoko has been playing.

He's even less of a no.10 than Sissoko, to be fair.

Still say if we are to persist with 4-2-3-1 then we need a proper 10, the only one we have is Marveaux and he's a walking doctors note.

The rest is too much square pegs in round holes for my liking tbh.

He's far better than those two, like. Lovenkrands was abhorrent footballer in the PL.

The lack of goal threat is digsuting, though. And although he got the goal that probably kept us up he's hardly a remedy. Criminal that we lost our main goal threat in January and tried to replace him with cheap players while no track record of consistently hitting the back of the net.

He's far better than those two, like. Lovenkrands was abhorrent footballer in the PL.

The lack of goal threat is digsuting, though. And although he got the goal that probably kept us up he's hardly a remedy. Criminal that we lost our main goal threat in January and tried to replace him with cheap players while no track record of consistently hitting the back of the net.

One of our main issues throughout the season was that we only really had 1 goalscorer in the squad after Ba left

I'd have Gouffran where Sissoko has been playing.

He's even less of a no.10 than Sissoko, to be fair.

Still say if we are to persist with 4-2-3-1 then we need a proper 10, the only one we have is Marveaux and he's a walking doctors note.

The rest is too much square pegs in round holes for my liking tbh.

We've got the players for a decent 4-3-3 if Tiote can keep it simple.

Creativity isn't too much of an issue with our first XI, we only really need a good left midfielder to come in and there's good quality in there. Our squad options are very poor though, outside of Ben Arfa and Cabaye there's only Marveaux, and that needs addressing.