Florian Thauvin

Yaron
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I won't complain because we're spending money but €17 million for someone who was only good for half a season makes me wonder how do we evaluate the price of players. Don't get me wrong Thauvin is a decent and tricky player but lacks consistency and end product compared to Cabella and even Payet. I think West Ham got the better player but I hope I'm wrong.

Oh boy ... it didn't work out at Marseille as he was playing wide in a funky formation for Biesla last season. He wasn't as comfortable in it.

The guy was electric at Bastia. We have a manager that is going to encourage him to get forward and cause problems.

He's going to be great. Deal with it.

I won't complain because we're spending money but €17 million for someone who was only good for half a season makes me wonder how do we evaluate the price of players. Don't get me wrong Thauvin is a decent and tricky player but lacks consistency and end product compared to Cabella and even Payet. I think West Ham got the better player but I hope I'm wrong.

If all these negative views about Thauvin turn out to be right, then Carr's competence really will come under scrutiny. It's one thing to be be spotting players who don't cost much because of their contracts running down, but if we are laying out big money on players who are duds then questions will be asked. I haven't seen him in action myself so I'm hoping there's more to him than some of you guys seem to think.

L'OM fans really dislike him.

Personally, I'm really in two minds over this deal. When Cabella was coming to Newcastle, French journalists- while citing his lack of physicality- had nothing but glowing reviews over the attitude and ability of a player who was a key component (often from the bench admittedly) for a title winning side. Their predictions were that, although he might need time to adapt, Newcastle were getting a really good player with a strong appetite for success.

Now contrast that to our signing of Thauvin. Although a few years ago he was being touted as the next Ribery, he has regressed massively. Most of the same journalists are ridiculing a deal that sees us (essentially) giving away a more established player as well as overpaying for a massively out of form player who may never live up to his potential. The guy could be a superstar, or he could be a rather expensive foreign flop. I guess this is Newcastle though; bags of potential with excitement, twinned with the specter of disappointment looming. Nervous about the deal but looking forward to seeing if he can realize his potential in a black and white shirt.

Guest reefatoon

Should've just kept Ben Arfa man :lol:

Get over it man!

Everytime I see Ben bloody Arfa's name now, it just remeinds me of this.

I'm sick of being told what I should think about a player by fans of other clubs and journalists from other countries.

Ok I get they should have the knowledge base (french journalists) to make a judgement on our signings but let me ask, would you trust what an English journalist or an ex footballer from this country has to say on a player? I know I wouldn't.

I'll make a judgement once the lad has played a dozen or so games and even then he's still a bairn.

Guest reefatoon

Bloke behind him either having a cheeky arse scratch or trying to find £1.25 for a steak bake in his back pocket.

Neither, he is holding a bag you weirdo

Guest reefatoon

:lol: Thought he was carrying a massive weird bra around with him there.

Same :lol:

Bra's on the brain!

Can just see the pair of you now.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/25q3hxlgvw4/hqdefault.jpg