Florian Thauvin

Yaron
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carr's reputation lives or dies by this move, the reason we weren't in for shaqiri or anyone else is because Carr rates this lad so highly. If Thauvin flops Carr is done

I would think it had more to do with his salary.

Carr's reputation lives or dies by this move, the reason we weren't in for shaqiri or anyone else is because Carr rates this lad so highly. If Thauvin flops Carr is done

Aye, alright  :lol:

Cabella,Anita,Riviere,Mbiwa did so well & lets not forget De Jong......TWICE

Wow. Just wow.

It's a fair point IMO. Carr is still held up as some kind of scouting god when in reality I don't think his strike rate is any more impressive than is usual at a Premier League club. He's obviously got good contacts which allows us to occasionally sign players for relatively low fees but the thing that's benefitted most from that to date is the balance sheet.

It's a fair point IMO. Carr is still held up as some kind of scouting god when in reality I don't think his strike rate is any more impressive than is usual at a Premier League club. He's obviously got good contacts which allows us to occasionally sign players for relatively low fees but the thing that's benefitted most from that to date is the balance sheet.

Yep. Swansea have probably had better recruitment over the same period of time along with Southampton.

Cabaye and Debuchy profits paid for all those signings losses so in the eyes of Ashley he's probably doing fine.

Sissoko can pay for the next lot if/when sold.

Aye but you have to take into account who is coaching them.

Well considering he's an integral part of a club setup that openly admitted they had no intention whatsoever of getting rid of Alan Pardew and subsequently appointed Steve McClaren after almost allowing us to be relegated I don't give him too much leeway for that.

It's been widely suggested that Carr wasn't a Pardew fan.

Pardew and Carver have done their best to ruin his signings.

FWIW, I agree. He's no god, but he does have contacts with good players.

I've said this multiple times in the past, but having "good contacts which allows us to occasionally sign players for relatively low fees" is pretty much the primary role of the modern scout.  Given how much information is freely available now it's going to be very rare that you have a scout actually discover a complete unknown and bring them straight into a club of Newcastle's stature. Almost every signing by a Premier League club these days plays for a major European team already. Everyone knows about them.

What someone like Carr allows us to do is to be the first team on the phone when somebody is unhappy and wants a move/is available for a low fee. That's a very valuable asset, or at least it would be in a theoretical world in which we were trying to operate as a competitive football club.

On the whole we always seem to go for the right player imo. You don't see us buying people like James Chester for 8m or Robert Earnshaw for 24m.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2014/7/16/1405549887431/Emmanuel-Rivi-re-Newcastl-011.jpg

Yep. Swansea have probably had better recruitment over the same period of time along with Southampton.

They also have had much better coaches, not just the managers but across the board. I can pretty much guarantee the majority of the signings those clubs made would have been flops in the Pardew/Carver regime.

No other scout would be under so much scrutiny, hell i don't know any other scouts name. :lol:

On the whole we always seem to go for the right player imo. You don't see us buying people like James Chester for 8m or Robert Earnshaw for 24m.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2014/7/16/1405549887431/Emmanuel-Rivi-re-Newcastl-011.jpg

This was a real bad one tbf, but in the minority.

They also have had much better coaches, not just the managers but across the board. I can pretty much guarantee the majority of the signings those clubs made would have been flops in the Pardew/Carver regime.

No other scout would be under so much scrutiny, hell i don't know any other scouts name. :lol:

He's only known and under scrutiny (if you say so) because of the bumming he's had in the past.

This was a real bad one tbf, but in the minority.

I'm not sure it was his 'find'. His signing sticks of us being offered him on the cheap after having a good season. Monaco knew what they were doing getting rid of him.