Aston Villa 1 - 2 Newcastle United - 29/01/13 - Post-match relief from page 84

Dave

How do we get out of that cycle then?

Surely if we're low on confidence and therefore have literally no other option than to resort to defending like that... Then it must be logically impossible to ever gain confidence again?

How do we get out of that cycle then?

Surely if we're low on confidence and therefore have literally no other option than to resort to defending like that... Then it must be logically impossible to ever gain confidence again?

sack your manager is the usual approach.

wont happen tho.

I think the fact that Shola still gets game time shows we need a striker, I suspect Pardew is making that point to Mike, Darren Bent on deadline day....

I'm concerned about what effect Pardew has on players at half time. Similar to Reading we came out second half and lost all momentum and seemed to just sit back. It has to be something he is saying to them at half time.

I can't remember a second half where i have felt worse. Stomach was in knots whole way through adrenaline pumping so couldnt sleep for hours after full time which isnt great when you have work the next day! 

As many have said feel we won in spite of Pards not because of him but still feel with the new boys coming in and us finally winning away there are/were more positives to take then negatives.

Eh aye eh aye eh aye oh  :snod:

I think criticism of Pardew is harsh in this instance. We're very low on confidence, we were always going to resort to seat of our pants defending in the second half. Had they not scored so early I think it would've ended up much like the first as their belief drained away.

We had a bad run under KK during the promotion season, but the team never lacked confidence and Keegan never let them....

Its up to the manager to take the pressure and sort out the team...whether in their heads or on the training ground.

Just watched the highlights, the penalty looks ridiculously soft. Even worse than live.

It was a clumsy challenge by Debuchy - he didn't even need to try to tackle at that point as the player was going away from goal.

He caught him without touching the ball so it was a pen....we probably wouldn't have been awarded it, but that's what happens in away games.

Excellent first-half from us and very good second-half from them. There's no doubt that given time and space as we were in the first-half we will prosper. In particular Sissoko and Cabaye were excellent, Cisse's movement was great and Gouffran and Jonas were progressive. Top-class finishes from both and a superb ball from Sissoko.

Second-half they went shit or bust in both formation and attitude, something of a firestorm really. I remember a volleyed cross-field pass from one of theirs that was top-class and things did keep coming off for them. The increase in tempo, especially Agbonlahor's pace, really unsettled us and led to the penalty however soft it was. Getting that goal so early lifted them and the crowd. But Krul made some excellent stops and dominated the crosses when he could, a really mature performance from him. It also seems to me that Taylor and Coloccini are really resilient as a pair and they do complement each other. That back three is a strong combination. I don't know what Pardew could have done about the substitutions really. The ball kept coming back at us, Shola is our best chance of holding it up as Cisse doesn't play that way, Gouffran was tired as was Sissoko and the problem was the 'riches' available on the bench. Cabaye could barely run by the end.

We have more than enough to stay up and some real quality in depth in some areas but glaring weaknesses in others (forward options, hence Shola).

Hats off to our fans who observed the minute's applause for Stylian Petrov impeccably, joining in the clapping and not singing through the minute.

i think as gouffran gets up to speed with the premiership's physical demands, we will see less and less of shola

Nah, he'll always be required for physical presence up front, unless we buy a forward who can hold the ball up.

Guest neesy111

Thankfully I've woken up on the right side of bed this morning.

We won with some positives coming mainly from the new signings. :)

I just hope Pardew makes me eat my words about him.

Guest neesy111

Watching Cissé's goal again, and that is an absolutely great advantage played by the referee. We need to see more of that.

He's a top ref, to be fair. Gets a lot of daft stick on here.

:thup:

He's not perfect but I thought it was a pen and generally is the best ref in the league.

Just watched the highlights, the penalty looks ridiculously soft. Even worse than live.

It was a clumsy challenge by Debuchy - he didn't even need to try to tackle at that point as the player was going away from goal.

He caught him without touching the ball so it was a pen....we probably wouldn't have been awarded it, but that's what happens in away games.

Fair point I suppose. I just thought he didn't even really make a challenge. He just ran towards the ball, Agbonlahor got in front of him and fell over.

I know they're usually given, but that's a problem with the game IMO.

Ok first off he never challenged him and it was never a foul, though most of you seem to think he did so here it goes.

To be a penalty it has to be a foul inside the box that prevents a goal scoring opportunity and/or the player/ball is heading towards the goal. Agbonlahor was heading away from goal, the ball was heading away from goal, there was no goal scoring opportunity there to stop a goal scoring opportunity.